Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
    As much as I like Zion, the pick should have been Penning or Smith (OT's). Smith looks really good for Dallas. Moves extremely well. Another TT miss. Then best guard in RD 3.
    OG or not, Zion is a better player than Penning. He didn't miss.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Very surprised and disappointed in Zion's play lately. He played very good early in the year. Miami game was horrible. He did not even slow down the DL across from him on a number of snaps. Not what I would expect from a #1 draft pick. Let's go Zion...Bolt up!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
        Very surprised and disappointed in Zion's play lately. He played very good early in the year. Miami game was horrible. He did not even slow down the DL across from him on a number of snaps. Not what I would expect from a #1 draft pick. Let's go Zion...Bolt up!!!
        He seemed to digress when Clapp and Salyer were introduced. I agree he’s been shaky, could be just rookie sophomore blues as teams identified and coached up their DTs to counter his tendencies he entered the league with. I noticed more than a few plays he just lunge/whiffed as DTs sidestep his obvious over-committed move. he’ll learn, he has the athleticism and intelligence. Lets get him better support left and right and give him a chance.

lets get our own OL Coaching to help the kid learn faster too. I’ve yet to be impressed with how well our OL is coached - I do not like seeing running plays where our RB runs into a confab of one blocker and 3 or 4 defenders. WtF went wrong with that blocking scheme? (thinking of a red one play Sunday in particular). i don’t know enough about the position coach(es?) on the team - any assessments by the TPB gurus?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He seemed to digress when Clapp and Salyer were introduced. I agree he’s been shaky, could be just rookie sophomore blues as teams identified and coached up their DTs to counter his tendencies he entered the league with. I noticed more than a few plays he just lunge/whiffed as DTs sidestep his obvious over-committed move. he’ll learn, he has the athleticism and intelligence. Lets get him better support left and right and give him a chance.

lets get our own OL Coaching to help the kid learn faster too. I’ve yet to be impressed with how well our OL is coached - I do not like seeing running plays where our RB runs into a confab of one blocker and 3 or 4 defenders. WtF went wrong with that blocking scheme? (thinking of a red one play Sunday in particular). i don’t know enough about the position coach(es?) on the team - any assessments by the TPB gurus?
          I think the games he has struggled the most in are the ones where Linsley and Pipkins did not play. Considering the way that Clapp and Sarell have played, I guess I can understand not trusting either guy to communicate or be in the right spot. It has affected him. I think he has too much talent and bounces back but it has been rough lately.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Sarell is a really poor tackle right now. He misses a lot of blocks in the run game and gets run by a lot in pass blocking. That DT the Dolphins have was making everyone, even Linsely, look foolish.

But honestly, the line is relying on so many backups who should not be playing it is absolutely amazing they are doing as well as they are. And whipping boy Lombardi is calling sound game plans to compensate for it.
            TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              Sarell is a really poor tackle right now. He misses a lot of blocks in the run game and gets run by a lot in pass blocking. That DT the Dolphins have was making everyone, even Linsely, look foolish.

But honestly, the line is relying on so many backups who should not be playing it is absolutely amazing they are doing as well as they are. And whipping boy Lombardi is calling sound game plans to compensate for it.
              TG
              Even chip blocks by RBs were not doing any good against 94 and Phillips. LOL!
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Par for the course. Has Telesco ever spent a high draft pick on an OL that’s lived up to hype besides Slater?

Let’s just be grateful if he doesn’t turn into a complete bust like the vast majority of his OL picks.

And by the way…Slater was a blind squirrel pick because most draft analysts had Chargers picking him.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                  Par for the course. Has Telesco ever spent a high draft pick on an OL that’s lived up to hype besides Slater?

Let’s just be grateful if he doesn’t turn into a complete bust like the vast majority of his OL picks.

And by the way…Slater was a blind squirrel pick because most draft analysts had Chargers picking him.
                  Not sure most anaylists expected him to last until 13, but yes definately a Charger if still on the board. And lucky for us he was. I remember how pumped i was when Dallas took Micah Parsons at 12 as they needed o line also. I guess that pick wasnt so bad lol

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Not sure most anaylists expected him to last until 13, but yes definately a Charger if still on the board. And lucky for us he was. I remember how pumped i was when Dallas took Micah Parsons at 12 as they needed o line also. I guess that pick wasnt so bad lol
                    Yup, I give TT no credit for Slater or Herbert who was another pick who fell into our lap. Chargers had to go QB and if Miami chose Herbert, TT would have picked Tua.

Lucky for us Miami took Tua.

I wouldn’t trade Herbie for anyone but the pick of that QB litter could very well be Hurts and he’s my pick for MVP when he wins the SB this year.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Yup, I give TT no credit for Slater or Herbert who was another pick who fell into our lap. Chargers had to go QB and if Miami chose Herbert, TT would have picked Tua.

Lucky for us Miami took Tua.

I wouldn’t trade Herbie for anyone but the pick of that QB litter could very well be Hurts and he’s my pick for MVP when he wins the SB this year.
                      Hurts is the real deal and he is a worthy MVP this year. Often running QBs have a limited shelf life after a few years of success and dont have the later career success that more traditional pocket passers with big arms do but Hurts could be the exception. He is maturing as a passer.

But I still take our boy. I still think Herbert has massive untapped potential under a top level OC.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Hurts is the real deal and he is a worthy MVP this year. Often running QBs have a limited shelf life after a few years of success and dont have the later career success that more traditional pocket passers with big arms do but Hurts could be the exception. He is maturing as a passer.

But I still take our boy. I still think Herbert has massive untapped potential under a top level OC.
                        I see only highlights of Hurts sitting in a nice pocket with plenty of time throwing to open receivers.

I was wary of him coming out of Oklahoma because at the first sign of pressure he would always take off.
                        Now, he just has a boat load of time.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Not every rookie is going to be Slater. Zion has also had to deal with a rotating center and RT next to him.

Comment

Working...
                          X