Welcome Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College (R1, #17)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Not every rookie is going to be Slater. Zion has also had to deal with a rotating center and RT next to him.
    You dont get it, if TT hits on a pick he gets no credit because he should have made the pick. If the pick is good but not great the pick is a bust and TT be dammed. If the pick is bad then that is just what TT does.

That being said I have lost a lot of faith in his drafting but the recent drafts have been pretty good. I was just pointing to the absurdity of never giving the guy his due, even when he hits one out of the park.
    Last edited by FoutsFan; 12-14-2022, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      Not every rookie is going to be Slater. Zion has also had to deal with a rotating center and RT next to him AND an elite DT in Wilkins.
      There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• madcaplafs
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2022
        • Send PM

I haven't studied the game tape, but just from the highlights, it was apparent that Zion wasn't the only one having problems.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

I don't fault a rookie having a rough outing against an all pro. He's been solid all year. He's going to just get better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

You dont get it, if TT hits on a pick he gets no credit because he should have made the pick. If the pick is good but not great the pick is a bust and TT be dammed. If the pick is bad then that is just what TT does.

That being said I have lost a lot of faith in his drafting but the recent drafts have been pretty good. I was just pointing to the absurdity of never giving the guy his due, even when he hits one out of the park.
            You nailed it. And his UDFA acquisitions have been pretty good over time, too.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplafs View Post
              I haven't studied the game tape, but just from the highlights, it was apparent that Zion wasn't the only one having problems.
              It's the whole line, even Linsley at times But OL is based upon consistency, technique and teamwork. Hard to do two of the three when you are down to 3rd and 4th stringers starting. That all being said, Zion appears to be tailing off a bit. I figured he would start ok and then get pretty good as he learned. But while he started ok, he is now having some lapses with more frequency. Some may be due to the musical chairs around him. Still think he will be a very good long term player.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

A nice nuanced breakdown :

Comment

• Air Coryell
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2021
                  • Carlsbad, CA
                  • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                  • Send PM

Zion was run blocking on a pass play and was flagged for being 5+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. How does that happen in a playoff game? Coaching? Communication?

Comment

• UtahBolt
                    Did we win?
                    • Jun 2013
                    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                    • Send PM

^^ That was crazy, it was like he was running a completely different play? Weird. Oh well...just another small piece that contributed to the epic melt down.
                    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• BigBad
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                      ^^ That was crazy, it was like he was running a completely different play? Weird. Oh well...just another small piece that contributed to the epic melt down.
                      Guys make mental mistakes....especially rookies

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Guys make mental mistakes....especially rookies
                        Yeah, hard to put too much blame on him there. But it added to the comedy of errors.

Overall I'd say he had a good rookie year and he looks to be a key piece of this OL moving forward. Between him, Slater, Salyer and Linsley we at least have some good pieces on the OL next year, unlike years past.
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Yeah, hard to put too much blame on him there. But it added to the comedy of errors.

Overall I'd say he had a good rookie year and he looks to be a key piece of this OL moving forward. Between him, Slater, Salyer and Linsley we at least have some good pieces on the OL next year, unlike years past.
                          In your opinion, how much did the lack of continuity screw up the running attack this season ?

It seems to me that anytime someone went down, we could no longer get it done.

Get the great Slater back and continue to build experience and depth.

We must concern ourselves with RB depth, re Kelley, Spiller, and beyond.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X