• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Left late vs Detroit with a shoulder injury has not been the same since.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by TTK View Post
      My $0.02.

I liked the Telesco hire and I don't think any rash decisions should be made (like firing him now) but IMO his seat is the one that should be starting to get warm. Maybe some of his draft picks are starting to come around (Verrett, Te'o, Attouchu) but he's also had too many big money free agent and re-signed players who turned out to be busts (Cox, Butler, Donald Brown and now Flowers) and whether or not it came from above, he botched the Weddle situation completely. The only reason I would cut him some slack is because he's had so many underperforming AJ Smith players on the team to weed out.

McCoy is not to be let of the hook here. He's the one who hired Reich and though I just said rash decisions shouldn't be made and the o-line injuries are certainly a factor, that experiment should have ended last year. Reich seems to be in way over his head and you could see the huge downgrade from Whisenhunt to Reich last year. The only reason this offense has any success at all is because of Rivers. People knock McCoy because he plays it too conservative and that's a valid point but that's not the reason why the team is 2-3.

As for Pagano, there are varying opinions on the job he has done but I think based on what came out from the media, whether it was John Spanos or Dean Spanos or whoever, it seemed like McCoy was forced to keep Pagano on as DC. While I don't think he's done an exceptional job, I don't think he's done a bad job either. He's put players in position to make plays time and time again and more often than not, his players let him down. So many dropped interceptions at key times already this year that could have won games and they really should be 4-1. And unless he schemes up sacks, the players he has can't win one on one battles to get to the quarterback. The bottom line is that his players just don't seem to be good enough, and that falls on Telesco IMO.

Telesco seems very bright though and I can't help but wonder how much influence John Spanos has with all these personnel moves. In the end the blame probably needs to be shared between the two of them.
      1. I didn't know anything about Telesco when we hired him. I know something about him now. He sucks.

2. Reich did a shit-job last year. He reverted back to the Norv chuck-and-suck offense, which can't work behind our offensive line. However, this year Reich has made the most of what he's got. I don't see much of the Norvesque long-developing pass plays this year. The quick passes are happening and we're getting a lot of yards. I was bashing on Reich up until this past game, but I see now that I was wrong.

3. McCoy is a pussy. His decisions probably haven't cost us any games this year, but they will. We won't ever win the Super Bowl as long as McCoy is the coach. Plus his player-personnel decisions seem to suck. It's like he doesn't notice during practice who his best players are. Keenan Allen wasn't a starter until all the players in front of him couldn't play. Last year, McCoy was rotating Watt and Troutman - ensuring that, even before the injuries, the offensive line would never have cohesion. This year, it looks like Watt wasn't our best center, but he got the start. Last year, it took McCoy longer than me, a fan who never sees practices, to notice that Branden Oliver was better than Donald Brown. How long did it take McCoy to figure out Derek Cox wasn't our best cornerback? I don't know if Perryman is better than Butler and Te'o, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out McCoy knows less about that than some of the fans on this board do. Oh, and then there is Flowers. It seems Flowers decides when he gets to play. Can't McCoy see, during practice, whether Flowers is healthy enough to play? Isn't McCoy a professional football man who sees all the practices?

4. Your assessment of Pagano's coaching decisions and Telesco's moves on defense sound right. Pagano is adequate. Telesco sucks.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• homeless simpson
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

McCoy was hired with a 4 year contract instead of the typical 5 years. Compare that with Mike Riley who got a 5 year contract and had an equal/ worse situation during his short 3 year tenure: injuries, lack of talent, no qb, finally had a RB in LT but it was too little too late. He also started 4-1 his first year, and 3-0 his third/last year. That Riley era also had a team that lead in 14 games only to lose in the last 3 minutes. You could say he's done just as well of a job as McCoy is doing now but was still fired even though he had a longer contract.

and they are both named Mike and have 5 letters in their last name ending with a Y.

Things that make you go hmmm

Comment

• Faded blues
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

John Spanos is the one to blame. He is the one in charge.

All the rest are the presidents men.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
            John Spanos is the one to blame. He is the one in charge.

All the rest are the presidents men.
            Yubaking is Robert Redford.

Comment

• Faded blues
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2013
              • Send PM

And aka is Dustin Hoffman

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

The Raiders are the Deep Throaters.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                  Quick Review of Draft picks by Telesco. Common Theme? Always injured. 6 of 9 top three rounds are always banged up.

wrt coaching - On one hand it's hard to evaluate these dudes with all the injuries. On the other hand, we can all see large "blind spots" they have (Pagano's lack of respect for DL, and McCoy/Reich's lack of refinement/advancement of the offensive scheme)

1. Gordon - Very promising rookie.
                  2. Perryman - Should be on field. Why not?
                  3. Mager - "Charger Doll", but looked really promising in the preseason.
                  5. Emanuel - Has outperformed No. 5 pick status, and has been pretty much absent last few games. May have already peaked at 24 years old.
                  6. Philon - Shows great promise. Probably needs weight room time this offseason.

1 25 Jason Verrett CB Texas Christian - "Charger Doll" - Arguably the best CB in the NFL though. High Risk/High Reward
                  2 50 Jeremiah Attaochu OLB Georgia Tech - "Charger Doll" - Again, looks really good when in game.
                  3 89 Chris Watt G Notre Dame - "Charger Doll" - And he sucks.
                  5 165 Ryan Carrethers DT Arkansas State - Looks promising for a 5th round pick.
                  6 201 Marion Grice RB Arizona State CUT
                  7 240 Tevin Reese WR Baylor CUT
                  2013 - SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
                  RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
                  1 11 D.J. Fluker OT Alabama - I would call him a Charger doll for being injured, but he guts it out so +1. Good pro, but not all-pro like he ought to be.
                  2 38 Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame - "Charger Doll" - Slow improvement over time. Gets better with age.
                  3 76 Keenan Allen WR California - Studly 3rd rounder.
                  5 145 Steve Williams CB California - Adequate backup. Good for 5th round.
                  6 179 Tourek Williams OLB Florida International - "Charger Doll" - showed promise when healthy.
                  7 221 Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah - CUT (or should be, I guess he's good camp fodder to save Rivers' arm)
                  Don't forget Ingram, Reyes and Liuget who have all under performed to some extent. They should be the backbone of this D. If they performed to their draft slot, this would be a substantially better D. Thanks Don Johnson.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                    Don't forget Ingram, Reyes and Liuget who have all under performed to some extent. They should be the backbone of this D. If they performed to their draft slot, this would be a substantially better D. Thanks Don Johnson.
                    None of those guys are Telesco's picks.

Ingram is too injury prone but is still the best of our front seven.
                    Liuget and Reyes suck, which is why Telesco decided to extend the contract of one of those guys.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                      None of those guys are Telesco's picks.

Ingram is too injury prone but is still the best of our front seven.
                      Liuget and Reyes suck, which is why Telesco decided to extend the contract of one of those guys.
                      Still, it's top talent chosen where they should have been chosen. Coaches coming in have to find a way to utilize the talent that is there.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        Still, it's top talent chosen where they should have been chosen. Coaches coming in have to find a way to utilize the talent that is there.
                        Or they were just bad picks. AJ Smith lost the magic touch at some point during this Chargers tenure. Liuget was a'ight for a couple seasons, but has generally sucked. The rest of the front seven, other than the few games Ingram played the last two seasons, have been terrible. Now, it seems even Ingram isn't so good anymore - even when he plays. Maybe he's been playing hurt - he certainly is fragile.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                          Pagano has made us better than we should be. With the defense we have, we should be getting blown out every game. A front 7 that can't pass rush, stop the run, or cover a tight end. Rarely a good secondary. Pagano has absolute dick to try to stop the other team from blowing us out. But we're not getting blown out. That's what Pagano has done. Has he made us good? No, but I'm not sure anybody could. He's made us average. The statistical rankings over the last four years back up my point.

Rivers said it this year - when we don't turn the ball over, we win. If we didn't throw an interception for a touchdown last week, we would have won. True - the defense sucked in the fourth quarter (as it should). However, it came through for the first three quarters, as it shouldn't.

MFer? Are we sticking with the theme from the game-day thread of bashing me? That only worked for a couple series; then we lost. Moar Cat was the better call.
                          I was just messing around, man.

I don't know how you can know that Pagano has somehow made us better. Perhaps. Or perhaps his players underperformed because he didn't properly develop the talent that he had. Two personnel people considered to be pretty good brought in a number of young guys and FAs that looked pretty good and for some reason those players or those combinations of players didn't work out. Injuries have certainly played a role but maybe those players weren't any good or they were good but Pagano didn't develop them or use them properly. It is very difficult to know. But there have been constants during his tenure (no matter what the ranking was)oor tackling, poor performance on third downs, soft up the gut (might be more of a personnel issue or perhaps not adjusting scheme to strengths of personnel) and lack of discipline...for some reason his units don't play well together, don't trust one another and don't focus on their own assignments. Look, if I were dealt the poor hand you claim he's had...I might just say, "Look, we might give up 30 a week but we will be the best damn tackling team in the league and we will play together as a unit every week." or whatever. Be very good at something. Have some trademark or personality. His defenses have never had that and he doesn't appear to have tried to focus on owning certain spaces. So While it's debatable whether his units have over- or underperformed, I can say with certainty that they have not shown the kind of sure tackling, responsibility and cohesiveness, toughness or violence that I want our defense to exhibit. Now that's me, of course. But I'm sick of this finesse shit even if it means a drop in the rankings.

Respectfully submitted this day, Oct 17, 2015...

Douglas C. Neidermeyer.
                          Last edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR; 10-17-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X