Welcome Ottio Ogbonnia, DT, UCLA (R4, #160)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
    I'll fix the thread title when I get to my laptop...
    Sorry - didnt have my glasses on. Thanks for cleaning me up when you can
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I love the pick. I’m not saying he’ll be great or make the team. But he’s a guy that bigger than the OGs and he will push the LOS. That’s all I want from my DTs. Reset the LOS. Big, strong cheap guys. Save the money for the skill positions.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
        Fluent in Sarcasm
        • Jun 2013
        • Iowa
        • Man of the People
        • Send PM

Haven’t gotten around to his tape yet but his draft profile matches up a lot with SJD’s.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
          Haven’t gotten around to his tape yet but his draft profile matches up a lot with SJD’s.
          He's a better pass rusher than Sebastian Joseph Day. He's good in both run defense and pass rushing. Having DTs who are only good at one of these things has contributed to the poor talent and losses. This pick is pretty good.

Comment

• Craig440
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Our P did not have to be Araiza, but we did need a P. We were dead last in net punting last year and Long has also been a blocked punt festival over the years because he is the slowest from catch to kick. P remains a huge need for us.

I ma discussing Ogbonnia. I do not like the pick for multiple reasons. We had a chance to get better DL player earlier in the draft and blew it. The cost of blowing it was that we ended up taking a worse DL player later, which cost us a chance to make an upgrade at the P position.

These are the consequences of poor drafting.
            Didn't we sign Green Bays punter? Pretty sure we did sign a new punter. Also how do you know we didn't try to move up for Jones and there were not interest from the other party's?

EDIT. Yes we did sign GB's punter J.K. Scott.
            Last edited by Craig440; 04-30-2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig440 View Post

Didn't we sign Green Bays punter? Pretty sure we did sign a new punter. Also how do you know we didn't try to move up for Jones and there were not interest from the other party's?
              GB's former punter sucks. He has never had a season with a 40 yard net punting average. If he ties his career best net average and the other punters punt like they did last year, we will finish 27th in net punting. Most likely we will finish worse. He also has two blocked punts in three seasons. So, he satisfies both of Long's suckfest criteria of producing a terrible net punting average and giving up blocked punts at a high rate. Essentially, we signed Long 2.0, which is terrible.

I know that the #75 pick was actually traded to HOU for a 3rd and a 5th and that our 3rd and 5th were both earlier picks (more valuable) than HOU's were. Jones was selected at #76 as half of this forum knew was going to happen before it happened.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

wish there was a downvote button

on topic:

welcome Otito to Chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  Can you stop detailing a thread because you don’t understand Staley’s defensive scheme? It’s seriously annoying.
                  It appears I understand it better than you do as you fail to understand that Tillery plays in the base defense. I tried to throw you a lifeline by pointing out that Popper explains this concept, but you do not want to accept the lifeline, so I guess you will drown in your lack of understanding of our defense.

The selection of Ogbonnia was a reach at position that should have and could have been filled earlier in the draft with a better player.

Five significant reaches in this draft is not a good thing.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

It appears I understand it better than you do as you fail to understand that Tillery plays in the base defense. I tried to throw you a lifeline by pointing out that Popper explains this concept, but you do not want to accept the lifeline, so I guess you will drown in your lack of understanding of our defense.

The selection of Ogbonnia was a reach at position that should have and could have been filled earlier in the draft with a better player.

Five significant reaches in this draft is not a good thing.
                    I’m pretty sure you misunderstand Popper then if you ever thought Tillery was going to be the starter again. Injuries to Jones and Joseph was the only reason he got significant snaps last year. With the signing of Austin and SJD, he’s back to where he belongs as a rotational guy. Even Telesco said as much. Once again, we don’t really play a 34 defense.

Also Ogbonnia was not a reach. He was picked right where he should have been in the 5th. I don’t care if you think Travis Jones is a better player. Staley obviously felt that Wood was more important because safety play more snaps in his scheme versus a rotational DL which is what Jones would have been in our scheme. Remember your argument about why we weren’t going to get a receiver in the first? We weren’t going to spend a premium pick for a DT after paying Austin and SJD their money in FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I’m pretty sure you misunderstand Popper then if you ever thought Tillery was going to be the starter again. Injuries to Jones and Joseph was the only reason he got significant snaps last year. With the signing of Austin and SJD, he’s back to where he belongs as a rotational guy. Even Telesco said as much. Once again, we don’t really play a 34 defense.

Also Ogbonnia was not a reach. He was picked right where he should have been in the 5th. I don’t care if you think Travis Jones is a better player. Staley obviously felt that Wood was more important because safety play more snaps in his scheme versus a rotational DL which is what Jones would have been in our scheme. Remember your argument about why we weren’t going to get a receiver in the first? We weren’t going to spend a premium pick for a DT after paying Austin and SJD their money in FA.
                      Our base defense is a 3-4 defense. We really do play a 3-4 defense at times. It really is exactly as Popper stated. It is your understanding that is flawed.

Ogbonnia was ranked #187. We took him at #160. Sadly, it was nowhere close to our biggest reach, but it was a reach. I do not think Travis Jones is better than Ogbonnia. I know he is better. That is not a close call.

Jones would have played in lieu of Tillery in our base defense and ultimately would have been our best DL player by at least his third season if not sooner. SJD and Austin Johnson are not world beaters even if they are serviceable in Staley's defense.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Our base defense is a 3-4 defense. We really do play a 3-4 defense at times. It really is exactly as Popper stated. It is your understanding that is flawed.

Ogbonnia was ranked #187. We took him at #160. Sadly, it was nowhere close to our biggest reach, but it was a reach. I do not think Travis Jones is better than Ogbonnia. I know he is better. That is not a close call.

Jones would have played in lieu of Tillery in our base defense and ultimately would have been our best DL player by at least his third season if not sooner. SJD and Austin Johnson are not world beaters even if they are serviceable in Staley's defense.
                        How much time do we play in our 34 base?

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Who. The. Fuck. Cares.

Comment

Working...
                          X