Welcome Ottio Ogbonnia, DT, UCLA (R4, #160)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Oggie is supposed to be a better run-stuffer than pass rusher...
    He is not good at anchoring either.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Salyer was our best value pick. But we offset it with a reach for player ranked #370 on the consensus big board with our selection of Taylor as our other 6th round pick.

Of course, Leonard was ranked #522 and Horvath was ranked #365, so there's that. :facepalm1:
      Consensus big boards start mattering less the deeper you get in the draft. Complaining about crapshoots like Taylor, Leonard, and Horvath is silly at this point unless you personally scouted them yourself.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Look, UDFAs make teams, so it is not like it does not happen. It does raise doubt about what the heck our front office is doing, however.
        Those are staley picks, I think he did the same thing in 2020 draft with the rams, how high was jordan fuller ranked before they drafted him in round 6? Didn’t he start in the superbowl this year?
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Consensus big boards start mattering less the deeper you get in the draft. Complaining about crapshoots like Taylor, Leonard, and Horvath is silly at this point unless you personally scouted them yourself.
          I hope they are great. They are reaches on paper, though.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

He's a better pass rusher than Sebastian Joseph Day. He's good in both run defense and pass rushing. Having DTs who are only good at one of these things has contributed to the poor talent and losses. This pick is pretty good.
            Not from what i was watching.
            Doesn't really put on much of a pass rush at all on most downs.

Don't know why they passed on Salyer for him.
            There were better DTs available, but not for what the Chargers want from DTs - cinder blocks.

Hopefully, he can move some players down the depth chart

edit: a traits based pick who flashes....the old get his pad level consistently lower, not open up the old torso and not have the hands shoot wide.
            Still very young (only 21). High character guy which is a given with Telesco.
            Last edited by powderblueboy; 05-01-2022, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Love the Salymar pick, liked the Zion & Woods picks, meh on the Isaiah Spiller pick;

they might need the oggie pick to pan out....not crazy about what i see from him.

the rest are not going to influence much next year.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Except Jones's measurables more closely resemble SJD's than Ogbonnia's do. All three are built somewhat similarly, but SJD and Jones are more mobile.

All we can say is that our front office chose not to trade up to get Jones. We cannot say what they would have done had Jones been on the board at #79.
                I'd like to more fully explore every possible avenue concerning players we could have, should have traded up for all throughout the draft.
                Interesting & productive idea.

Heading to the Zion Johnson thread to propose moving up for Jameson Williams. :beer:

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                  Fluent in Sarcasm
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Iowa
                  • Man of the People
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'd like to more fully explore every possible avenue concerning players we could have, should have traded up for all throughout the draft.
                  Interesting & productive idea.

Heading to the Zion Johnson thread to propose moving up for Jameson Williams. :beer:
                  The fact that TT didn’t make a move when Hutchinson fell….. he should tendering his resignation right now.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Our base defense is a 3-4 defense. We really do play a 3-4 defense at times. It really is exactly as Popper stated. It is your understanding that is flawed.

Ogbonnia was ranked #187. We took him at #160. Sadly, it was nowhere close to our biggest reach, but it was a reach. I do not think Travis Jones is better than Ogbonnia. I know he is better. That is not a close call.

Jones would have played in lieu of Tillery in our base defense and ultimately would have been our best DL player by at least his third season if not sooner. SJD and Austin Johnson are not world beaters even if they are serviceable in Staley's defense.
                    I think you’re splitting hairs if you think there’s much difference between #160 and #187. Apparently Staley wants bigger, more physical play on the lines so he went and found the big physical player he wanted. Don’t draft higher rated 300 pounders if you want 325 pounders. Don’t draft slow DBs if you want fast DBs. Regardless of round. Especially with lotto picks.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Thanks for fixing the title but it’s still wrong. And who ie Oggio everyone is now talking about? This thread is for Otito.

and Chain, … apparently.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        Thanks for fixing the title but it’s still wrong. And who ie Oggio everyone is now talking about? This thread is for Otito.

and Chain
                        , … apparently.
                        Whose Otito?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Its interesting that Otito once squatted 683 pounds.

It would break the record at Northern Iowa U. held by whats his name.

Telesco once drafted 0 tech Ryan Carrethers in the 5th round who squatted 700 pounds....

Hoping Otito has a better outcome.

Comment

Working...
                          X