Welcome Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue (R7, #260)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I definitely see an RB in Horvath so far
    that's why I've been wanting to keep both Nabors and Horvath.
    It's not wise to ask a rookie to go from being a pass catching power rb to a pro full back in 1 preseason.
    Yep; RB - not FB (maybe FB in training). I see him as a good fit at RB3 and a core special teamer.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

He's either a RB or practice squad FB. I think it will take 2-3 years to pick up a full FB skill set.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Does Horvath see himself as a FB or RB. Being a FB requires a bit of an punishing attitude, an enjoyment of hitting people as the primary purpose of the position. Does he have it?
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          He's either a RB or practice squad FB. I think it will take 2-3 years to pick up a full FB skill set.
          Maybe both. Use him as an emergency / blowout HB and special teamer while he learns to play fullback. The nature of the fullback position in the NFL has changed a lot in the last 10 years - he's never going to be Lorenzo Neal.

Comment

• nomad1946
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2017
            • West Yellowstone, Montana
            • Retired
            • Send PM

I am interested how Zander does, I hope he becomes our RB3 and ST ace.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Does Horvath see himself as a FB or RB. Being a FB requires a bit of an punishing attitude, an enjoyment of hitting people as the primary purpose of the position. Does he have it?
              I have a theory that he sees himself as a RB. Here’s why. I commented on Chargers Twitter that Horvath should be RB3 and Horvath’s mom liked my post. Of course maybe his mom’s opinion is different than his, but whatever. Lol.

At the end of the day, Horvath will do what Staley/Lombardi wants. Or at least he’ll try.
              Staley’s quote after the draft was,
              “He has an NFL body so we’re just gonna figure it out.”

Personally, I’m excited to see him on ST.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

I have a theory that he sees himself as a RB. Here’s why. I commented on Chargers Twitter that Horvath should be RB3 and Horvath’s mom liked my post. Of course maybe his mom’s opinion is different than his, but whatever. Lol.

At the end of the day, Horvath will do what Staley/Lombardi wants. Or at least he’ll try.
                Staley’s quote after the draft was,
                “He has an NFL body so we’re just gonna figure it out.”

Personally, I’m excited to see him on ST.
                Or it could be his mom likes any tweet that says he made the team. RB3 vs FB - you guys could be right though i see him executing very different types of plays - can’t wait to see if he’s even real, much less can block NFL defenders
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Or it could be his mom likes any tweet that says he made the team. RB3 vs FB - you guys could be right though i see him executing very different types of plays - can’t wait to see if he’s even real, much less can block NFL defenders
                  His rep (and game tape) show a guy who is a good pass protector and a good runner - fairly shifty / nimble for his size, but success against Indiana is not the same thing as success against NFL defenders. Hopefully he can be a contributor on ST, but first he's got to make the team.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

He’s got production at the top three things for anybody in the backfield: pass pro, hands, and solid running ability power+moves. Yeah let’s see how that all translates, but entry point it’s more than anybody on the team could do last year Ekeler excepted.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post
                      I am interested how Zander does, I hope he becomes our RB3 and ST ace.
                      I hope he becomes our Derrick Henry - may as well dream BIG!
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

His rep (and game tape) show a guy who is a good pass protector and a good runner - fairly shifty / nimble for his size, but success against Indiana is not the same thing as success against NFL defenders. Hopefully he can be a contributor on ST, but first he's got to make the team.
                        Nabers is not a great blocker and is a poor runner and receiver, that is our starting point. If Horvath can be a passable blocker, he is much better both with the rock and as a receiver. If he can’t block - he had better be able to tackle to even play ST. Many here see Horvath as RB3 - I see his pick as looking to improve on Nabers but I could be wrong.

Picking just Indiana from his Big 10 (is it Big 12?) schedule is a bit disingenuous. But he only gained 320 yards rushing and 108 receiving his last year so he was not much of a factor in Purdue and the fact they managed to cobble together the ultimate highlight reel is videographic genius. Because lo and behold his highlights show he is brilliant! And lest we omit - Gabe only gained 220 yards his last year and he’s on an NFL team.

wait and see - 100% agree. Does he really run a 4.6 at that size? Can he win a yard when contested? CAN HE BLOCK? I can’t wait to see, hope I’m not disappointed.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Nabers is not a great blocker and is a poor runner and receiver, that is our starting point. If Horvath can be a passable blocker, he is much better both with the rock and as a receiver. If he can’t block - he had better be able to tackle to even play ST. Many here see Horvath as RB3 - I see his pick as looking to improve on Nabers but I could be wrong.

Picking just Indiana from his Big 10 (is it Big 12?) schedule is a bit disingenuous. But he only gained 320 yards rushing and 108 receiving his last year so he was not much of a factor in Purdue and the fact they managed to cobble together the ultimate highlight reel is videographic genius. Because lo and behold his highlights show he is brilliant! And lest we omit - Gabe only gained 220 yards his last year and he’s on an NFL team.

wait and see - 100% agree. Does he really run a 4.6 at that size? Can he win a yard when contested? CAN HE BLOCK? I can’t wait to see, hope I’m not disappointed.
                          You're right - cherry picking one opponent probably isn't very accurate (although he looked good against them), and I'm pulling for him to be successful! My hope is that he can develop into a player that has the versatility to handle fullback AND RB3 responsibilities, thus saving us a roster spot.

Purdue wasn't much of a running team last year so that may explain the lack of eyepopping stats - he may actually be better than he looks! Kudos to his videographer / editor though! Maybe that was Mom??:chuckle:

Comment

Working...
                          X