Welcome Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue (R7, #260)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    When you watch that highlight film you wonder why he wasn't the very first pick in the draft? LOL
    They sure can make a player look great by being selective on the plays they show.
    I agree with the concept you are discussing, but Horvath did make an awful lot of good plays on the video. He consistently broke tackles and showed occasional plus moves. He looks fairly athletic in general, so he is kind of growing on me. I am kind of curious to see how he stacks up in the preseason against Kelley, Rountree, Spiller, Marks, et cetera at RB. I think Horvath's game is much more diverse than that of a simple FB.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Roster spots are hard to come by. We need the best possible depth and need is hard to anticipate.
      There are a lot of judgement calls.
      25 offense, 3 QB, 4 RB / FB, 6 WR, 4 TE, 8 OL ?
      Clearly we can juggle- BUT -TC & PS is needed. Stuff happens, some good stuff hopefully.
      There is some cross position value, receiving, blocking, special teams with RB/FB, TE, WR.
      I'm not happy with 3 QBs.
      I can't really see us keeping 6 WRs even though we always used to before Staley. Last year, we only kept 5 even though 1 of the 5 was a dedicated return man. This year, I think one of the reasons why we signed Carter was because he also plays some on the field as a WR. Having one more player that can play WR on offense for us already than we had last year, I do not see us adding yet another WR to the roster.

I would also be surprised if we only kept 8 OL players as our first 9 OL players are Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Johnson, Norton, Pipkins, Salyer, Clapp and Jaimes and I do not see any of those players getting cut. That may keep us from re-signing Aboushi or signing an OT like Daryl Williams as well.

I think 3 QBs would be fine if the backup QBs were better QBs. I see zero reason to keep Easton Stick and am surprised that he has not been beaten out for QB3 in the past couple of years. I agree with others that there may still be an increased need to keep 3 QBs because of potential Covid-19 issues.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Damn - forgot about that . . . .
        My brother, sister in law, cousin, and two friends have it right now. Another sister in law got over it last month. An acquaintance died of it last month after six months of struggle. This shit is not going away.

Covid is not done and teams need to take precautions still. It would be terrible to have a whole position group wiped out for a game. Teams still need to plan for it.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I can't really see us keeping 6 WRs even though we always used to before Staley. Last year, we only kept 5 even though 1 of the 5 was a dedicated return man. This year, I think one of the reasons why we signed Carter was because he also plays some on the field as a WR. Having one more player that can play WR on offense for us already than we had last year, I do not see us adding yet another WR to the roster.

I would also be surprised if we only kept 8 OL players as our first 9 OL players are Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Johnson, Norton, Pipkins, Salyer, Clapp and Jaimes and I do not see any of those players getting cut. That may keep us from re-signing Aboushi or signing an OT like Daryl Williams as well.

I think 3 QBs would be fine if the backup QBs were better QBs. I see zero reason to keep Easton Stick and am surprised that he has not been beaten out for QB3 in the past couple of years. I agree with others that there may still be an increased need to keep 3 QBs because of potential Covid-19 issues.
          I’d be surprised if we went 6 WR as well but I do think it’s possible if we only carry 3 TE and/or 4 RB/FB since we would be gaining a roster spot there compared to last year. I don’t really see a WR on the roster who will make it feel like we need a 6th WR but if they want injury assurance or more depth for games like week 18 last year I would get that.

Totally agree on the 9 OL. Aboushi has said straight out on social media that he isn’t coming back. As much as it pains me I don’t see us bringing in another OL unless there is an injury to one of the names you listed.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Don't forget we will have WR's available from the PS.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Unemployed WRs are everywhere. I don’t worry about a shortage of them.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree with the concept you are discussing, but Horvath did make an awful lot of good plays on the video. He consistently broke tackles and showed occasional plus moves. He looks fairly athletic in general, so he is kind of growing on me. I am kind of curious to see how he stacks up in the preseason against Kelley, Rountree, Spiller, Marks, et cetera at RB. I think Horvath's game is much more diverse than that of a simple FB.
                I like what I see as well. Horvath seems a much more rounded player than you would expect drafted that low, and I'm cautiously optimistic that he can help, but . . . . we've all seen this movie before. Hoping for the best!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

My brother, sister in law, cousin, and two friends have it right now. Another sister in law got over it last month. An acquaintance died of it last month after six months of struggle. This shit is not going away.

Covid is not done and teams need to take precautions still. It would be terrible to have a whole position group wiped out for a game. Teams still need to plan for it.
                  Very sorry to hear so many of your family members and friends are dealing with this. Hope everything works out well!!

This team could probably get away with losing any number of players (for whatever reason) and still be competitive, as long as Herbert's on the field.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

This team could probably get away with losing any number of players (for whatever reason) and still be competitive, as long as Herbert's on the field.
                    unless we play the texans

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

unless we play the texans
                      As long as Eckler catches the ball . . .

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Very sorry to hear so many of your family members and friends are dealing with this. Hope everything works out well!!

Thanks, fortunately my family and friends will all get better.

We're ok unless we lose an entire room, like one of the lines or the qbs. And those guys spend a lot of time together in enclosed spaces.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Thanks, fortunately my family and friends will all get better.

We're ok unless we lose an entire room, like one of the lines or the qbs. And those guys spend a lot of time together in enclosed spaces.
                          Good to hear!

Comment

Working...
                          X