Welcome Zander Horvath, FB, Purdue (R7, #260)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I like what I see as well. Horvath seems a much more rounded player than you would expect drafted that low, and I'm cautiously optimistic that he can help, but . . . . we've all seen this movie before. Hoping for the best!
    I don’t compare Horvath to John Riggins or something, I compare him to Gabe Nabers and everything I see on tape says Horvath >>> Nabers. I’ll assume he’s making the team until I see that it is all an illusion once he takes the field vs NFL players. June is a month of Hope for me. Because he looks much faster, better athletic moves, much better pass catcher … now can he block?

I have not seen a lot of impressive blocks from Nabers, personally. If experts here say they studied his game tape and he really is a good blocker, I’m willing to believe you. But is he, … , really? I have seen him run the ball and he’s a plodding lump. He will get 2 yards IFFFF the defense is surprised he has the ball and give him 2 yards or the OL blocks well enough to hold a hole for 2 yards. He himself is a plus-nothing imo
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I would have kept Steven Anderson over Nabors. He was more visible and made more plays.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        I would have kept Steven Anderson over Nabors. He was more visible and made more plays.
        One’s gone, likely the other will be too. Not much to see.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t compare Horvath to John Riggins or something, I compare him to Gabe Nabers and everything I see on tape says Horvath >>> Nabers. I’ll assume he’s making the team until I see that it is all an illusion once he takes the field vs NFL players. June is a month of Hope for me. Because he looks much faster, better athletic moves, much better pass catcher … now can he block?

I have not seen a lot of impressive blocks from Nabers, personally. If experts here say they studied his game tape and he really is a good blocker, I’m willing to believe you. But is he, … , really? I have seen him run the ball and he’s a plodding lump. He will get 2 yards IFFFF the defense is surprised he has the ball and give him 2 yards or the OL blocks well enough to hold a hole for 2 yards. He himself is a plus-nothing imo
          Yep - not Riggins, or Natrone Means, or even Tolbert. He reminds me of a (very, very) poor man's Derrick Henry, except he may be a better pass catcher?? We'll see - again . . . . hopefully optimistic. With the exception of Eck we haven't had an undrafted or very low draft pick light it up for quite a few years - we're due.
          :2cents:

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Yep - not Riggins, or Natrone Means, or even Tolbert. He reminds me of a (very, very) poor man's Derrick Henry, except he may be a better pass catcher?? We'll see - again . . . . hopefully optimistic. With the exception of Eck we haven't had an undrafted or very low draft pick light it up for quite a few years - we're due.
            :2cents:
            I’d like to think we are due too. Tolbert was a very poor man’s Henry but i get your point. I’m looking first for a Nabers upgrade as I don’t much like what I’ve seen to date and he’s had his chance. Anything above and beyond that would be awesome. Give me a guy that can gain 1.1 tough yard on 3rd/4th and 1 and we’ll add from there.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’d like to think we are due too. Tolbert was a very poor man’s Henry but i get your point. I’m looking first for a Nabers upgrade as I don’t much like what I’ve seen to date and he’s had his chance. Anything above and beyond that would be awesome. Give me a guy that can gain 1.1 tough yard on 3rd/4th and 1 and we’ll add from there.
              I loved Mike Tolbert. I remember a comment from a veteran charger defender from Tolbert's first training camp (Sean Phillips - I think) who said something the the effect of 'we (defensive players) hate that guy - where the hell did he come from?' He was close to Henry's weight but much shorter - must have been fun trying to tackle him.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I loved Mike Tolbert. I remember a comment from a veteran charger defender from Tolbert's first training camp (Sean Phillips - I think) who said something the the effect of 'we (defensive players) hate that guy - where the hell did he come from?' He was close to Henry's weight but much shorter - must have been fun trying to tackle him.
                He was a fire hydrant. We could throw Marion in to fill out the Chargers beast mode power back discussion group.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Here’s the million dollar Horvath question:
                  If he outperforms Kelley and Roundtree in TC and PS, will Staley let him be RB3?
                  Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                    If he outperforms Kelley and Roundtree in TC and PS, will Staley let him be RB3?
                    I bet he will. He doesn’t even think twice going for it in his own 30 :shifty:

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

That he wouldn’t under your scenario makes zero sense.

Three underperforming position groups had two or more draft picks added, expect changes.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

That he wouldn’t under your scenario makes zero sense.

Three underperforming position groups had two or more draft picks added, expect changes.
                        I tend to agree.

Here’s what makes sense in that scenario: Horvath becomes FB1 and RB3. Nabors, Roundtree, Kelley, (and/or one of the UDFA RBs to the PS). Allowing Horvath to occupy those two spots save a roster spot for the 53.

I think a lot of people are pidgin-holing Horvath as only a FB (Nabors’ current role), but here’s the thing—Horvath isn’t a FB. He was a RB in college, and didn’t exactly thrive at the Shrine Game when asked to do FB stuff.

I think Horvath’s highest potential is as a bruising, pass-catching, short-yardage RB, which is a different role than FB. He belongs in the RB room. If we can teach him how to lead block and do FB stuff, that’s icing on the cake.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I tend to agree.

Here’s what makes sense in that scenario: Horvath becomes FB1 and RB3. Nabors, Roundtree, Kelley, (and/or one of the UDFA RBs to the PS). Allowing Horvath to occupy those two spots save a roster spot for the 53.

I think a lot of people are pidgin-holing Horvath as only a FB (Nabors’ current role), but here’s the thing—Horvath isn’t a FB. He was a RB in college, and didn’t exactly thrive at the Shrine Game when asked to do FB stuff.

I think Horvath’s highest potential is as a bruising, pass-catching, short-yardage RB, which is a different role than FB. He belongs in the RB room. If we can teach him how to lead block and do FB stuff, that’s icing on the cake.
                          I definitely see an RB in Horvath so far
                          that's why I've been wanting to keep both Nabors and Horvath.
                          It's not wise to ask a rookie to go from being a pass catching power rb to a pro full back in 1 preseason.
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X