Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

[QUOTE=Maniaque 6;n1346587]
    Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post

I can’t imagine playing the 3 DTs at the same unless its goal line. That would mean a 5 man rush every down.

and who is Brooks?[/QUOTE]

Hubie Brooks ?
    Herb Brooks ?
    Mel Brooks ?
    Or maybe Brooke Shield ?
    Woods I meant, .......3 DT is how to stop the run with 6 DB (if one is not Tillery). Chargers sucked against the run right?
    Go back and watch tape from the last time the Chargers had a really good defense.
    It was Igor Jamal and Castillo up front. Merriman and Phillips/Foley were OLBs

And as far as the lone SB appearance they had a massive DL by 1994 standards. Tied for 8th in scoring defense, 5th against the run

​​​​​​Mims DE 288 lbs
    Lee DT 300
    Davis DT 302
    Oneal DE 275
    Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 05-03-2022, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
      I am unpleasantly surprised....unless we are gonna run a 4-1-6...how the hell many dbs do we need, lol...but what do I care? Love most the rest of our moves, and the draft...so why not?

Welcome Bryce Callahan
      Most of our CB's from last year were horrible and could not cover anyone....

4-1-6 is essentially what Staley runs on most downs(most downs are passing downs):

4 - DL/edge
      1 - LB
      3 - CB
      3 - safeties (with James(who is a huge safety) playing mostly box like a LB)

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

We need better guys!

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          Also more seriously when the Chiefs run empty sets with MVS-Juju-Kelce-Moore-Hardman (and they will) we need to be able to match up. They wore down our depleted sexondary last year week 14.
          Since they don't have an RT, would that be wise?

Don't want to see Mahome's head bounce off the turf too often.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

I think part of it is getting some vets who have played for Staley before into OTA's and TC. It helps to have some guys who can show the kids how to prepare and what it takes to be a pro.

And we need depth. When was the last time we got all our starting DB through a season without missing a game? Has it ever happened? Even in the SB year, Gordon missed a couple of fo games, and that year the secondary was about as healthy as I can ever remember. We need to plan that someone will miss a few games and have some other options.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I think part of it is getting some vets who have played for Staley before into OTA's and TC. It helps to have some guys who can show the kids how to prepare and what it takes to be a pro.

And we need depth. When was the last time we got all our starting DB through a season without missing a game? Has it ever happened? Even in the SB year, Gordon missed a couple of fo games, and that year the secondary was about as healthy as I can ever remember. We need to plan that someone will miss a few games and have some other options.
              The MASSIVE dropoff last year when the starters in the secondary got hurt badly exposed the lack of depth in the DBs and it just killed us.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

One word

“Activation”
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

The signing is fine. Callahan has some skills and familiarity with the system, and is a reserve, so his injury prone nature should be less exposed if his snap counts are reduced.

That said, I think someone should send Telesco/Staley a memo that we do not need any more DB signings.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kauai
                    • Send PM

NFL.com had him close to a top 50 FA.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 10.10.43 AM.png

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post
                      Chargers signed CB Bryce Callahan, formerly of the Broncos, to a one-year contract.

Callahan played fairly well for Vic Fangio in Denver after being ported over from Chicago in free agency; he just couldn't stay healthy. He managed just 655 defensive snaps in 2020 and 504 in 2021 over 21 games. The Chargers are fairly set with JC Jackson, Michael Davis, and Asante Samuel at corner. Callahan will be a depth piece, and perhaps play a role on pure passing downs.

Hey Perry, nice to hear from you again! Bolt up!!!

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                        The signing is fine. Callahan has some skills and familiarity with the system, and is a reserve, so his injury prone nature should be less exposed if his snap counts are reduced.

That said, I think someone should send Telesco/Staley a memo that we do not need any more DB signings.
                        In this league, you can NEVER have enough QUALITY defensive backs...emphasis on QUALITY. TT isn't just standing pat with what he's got...he's RE-LOADING!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

this signing goes against the pattern this offseason to get younger and healthier…
                          It's only a one year rental. This team has a ton of veteran players who have been around for at least 4 years. The team is ready to win now with the roster it has. If Callahan makes the team and contributes, that would be a boost. Assuming he makes the cut. He has familiarity with Staley. But that alone doesn't determine if he has a place on the roster.

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The MASSIVE dropoff last year when the starters in the secondary got hurt badly exposed the lack of depth in the DBs and it just killed us.
                          That's true for all teams. There's going to be a dropoff in quality at the position. The same likewise for other positions. This idea of having so many CBs on the field at the same time is not reality. The 4th and/or 5th CBs don't log in minutes on defense except for rare instances. I brought this up in another thread; CBS can play 90% or even 100% of snaps on defense. If the starters are healthy and stay on the field, you are in good hands with the players who do well for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X