• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Best recollection of events regarding Chuck Hughes' death on the field as a result of a heart attack in 1971.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-5fb295920302/

Somewhat similar situation that happened back in 1997 to Reggie Brown, Lions linebacker with a breathing stoppage and CPR rendered.
      Yes but I believe he had a broken neck.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
        https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...es/6107091001/

Best recollection of events regarding Chuck Hughes' death on the field as a result of a heart attack in 1971.
        Hughes suffered a coronary thrombosis (blood clot in the heart) after taking a hit which led to a myocardial infarction (loss of oxygen to heart tissue). During an autopsy on Hughes, it was found he had advanced atherosclerosis, which is so rare for someone his age. It usually occurs in older men (like me) after decades of buildup in the arteries.

Hughes had actually suffered a heart attack a week or so earlier than went undiagnosed due to his young age. What happened with Hughes is known as a "plaque rupture," when a piece of plaque ruptures or breaks off inside a coronary artery. Hughes had absorbed a big hit a few plays before he collapsed and that is what caused the rupture.

A blood clot forms around the ruptured plaque and blocks oxygenated blood from reaching heart tissue. The reason I know about this case is because I had a coronary thrombosis last year. It wasn't a total blockage and obviously it didn't kill me, it was just painful. I underwent an angioplasty, where they run a catheter up my arm into my heart, to reopen my artery. Other members of this forum have had the same procedure.

What Damar Hamlin suffered last night was not a thrombosis/myocardial infarction. He suffered cardiac arrest, which is something different. I don't think it's been made public exactly what caused it. Something happened during the trauma of the hit to affect the operation of his heart. It's possible he has some sort of pre-existing coronary condition that he may or may not have been aware of. That is just speculation on my part and I really don't know. We will find out soon enough I suspect.

​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I read that because trying to get this game played would cause such a disruption in the league schedule, that they are considering just having the Bengals/Bills play 16 games and calculating winning percentages on that. That would give the Chiefs an advantage in the playoff standings because they would have an opportunity to win one more game than either Cinn or Buff.

Assuming the Chiefs beat the Raiders next week and the Bengals beat the Ravens and the Bills beat the Patriots in Week 18, the three teams at the AFC would end up like this.

Chiefs .824 (14-3)
          Bills .814 (13-3)
          Bengals .750 (12-4)

It would also immediately clinch the AFC North for the Bengals, they would even if the lost to the Ravens next week.
          Granted the Bills would say we beat the Chiefs
          'The Bengals would say we beat the Chiefs
          Maybe just not count the win for the Chiefs this week

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Granted the Bills would say we beat the Chiefs
            'The Bengals would say we beat the Chiefs
            Maybe just not count the win for the Chiefs this week
            Whatever they do will make somebody feel slighted. If they do it based on percentages it’s unfair in that they are playing one less game in a season and this game was important for seeding. One of them would have had an L and now neither will. If they call a forfeit the team taking the L will be slighted but that is one team out of 32. Any alterations or monkeying with the schedule affect all 32 teams which isn’t really fair. As it is the Bills and Bengals essentially have an extra week off. They only played half of one quarter.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

What Damar Hamlin suffered last night was not a thrombosis/myocardial infarction. He suffered cardiac arrest, which is something different. I don't think it's been made public exactly what caused it. Something happened during the trauma of the hit to affect the operation of his heart. It's possible he has some sort of pre-existing coronary condition that he may or may not have been aware of. That is just speculation on my part and I really don't know. We will find out soon enough I suspect.

​​
              The easy way to describe what could have happened was his tackle caused a push into his heart that might have been right when the electrical beat was happening, and caused a dysrhythmia, that fell into ventricular fibrillation, basically the heart was uncoordinated. Yes, we don't know the cause, or pre-existing conditions, so better not to speculate about it. I have a slightly damaged heart, it doesn't take too much to mess with its rhythm, so I can see how a pop to his chest just might have triggered the arrest.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

I wonder if this is going to be the beginning of the end of NFL tackle football as we know it. It will depend if they find he had some sort of previously undiagnosed condition that caused his heart to stop. If not, if a perfectly normal player without any pre-existing condition can suffer cardiac arrest by being hit during the course of a routine play, are players going to want to subject themselves to that?
                There has been no official statement as to the cause of what happened, but most doctors online think it's probably a case of "commotio cordis," in which a sharp blow to the chest at a precise point in the heartbeat can send the heart into an abnormal beat and often cardiac arrest. This article in a 2009 medical journal describes it:

There are previous cases in football (but not the NFL, insofar as I've seen), but most occur in baseball and softball (players and coaches getting hit in the chest by a hard batted ball), and to a smaller extent ice hockey (getting hit in the chest by a puck) and other sports. In hockey, the same thing happened to Chris Pronger in 1998:

https://www.narcity.com/damar-hamlin...es-how-it-felt

This doctor also thinks it likely was commotio cordis, which he called "extremely rare," occurring about 30 times a year, mostly in younger kids playing baseball:

Last edited by cmplxgal; 01-03-2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  As it is the Bills and Bengals essentially have an extra week off. They only played half of one quarter.
                  I really doubt that's how they're looking at it.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Yeah, he suffered cardiac arrest so it wasn't thrombosis.

I wonder if this is going to be the beginning of the end of NFL tackle football as we know it. It will depend if they find he had some sort of previously undiagnosed condition that caused his heart to stop. If not, if a perfectly normal player without any pre-existing condition can suffer cardiac arrest by being hit during the course of a routine play, are players going to want to subject themselves to that?
                    I think what it looks like is a freak occurrence. Hundreds of tackles like that are made every week without cardiac arrest. So no I don’t think it will have a lasting impact. This has happened in other sports without any real change in participation. As a fan, I know a lot of people I grew up with who wrote the sport off as the concussion cover up revealed real life damage later on and just ruined their enjoyment of the game. There is an aspect of human carnage to the sport. It’s tough to see any bad injuries. This of course was a whole nother level

Comment

• SK21209
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2020
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

There has been no official statement as to the cause of what happened, but most doctors online think it's probably a case of "commotio cordis," in which a sharp blow to the chest at a precise point in the heartbeat can send the heart into an abnormal beat and often cardiac arrest. This article in a 2009 medical journal describes it:

There are previous cases in football (but not the NFL, insofar as I've seen), but most occur in baseball and softball (players and coaches getting hit in the chest by a hard batted ball), and to a smaller extent ice hockey (getting hit in the chest by a puck) and other sports. In hockey, the same thing happened to Chris Pronger in 1998:

https://www.narcity.com/damar-hamlin...es-how-it-felt
                      Yeah, there's no good solution here. The best probably would have been to play tonight but that's off the table now. It's a big deal though, the Chiefs/Bills/Bengals are so close right now that I'd call whomever has home field the favorite over the other two.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

I really doubt that's how they're looking at it.
                        They may not be but it’s fact

Comment

• SK21209
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2020
                          • San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I think what it looks like is a freak occurrence. Hundreds of tackles like that are made every week without cardiac arrest. So no I don’t think it will have a lasting impact. This has happened in other sports without any real change in participation. As a fan, I know a lot of people I grew up with who wrote the sport off as the concussion cover up revealed real life damage later on and just ruined their enjoyment of the game. There is an aspect of human carnage to the sport. It’s tough to see any bad injuries. This of course was a whole nother level
                          I also doubt this changes the trajectory of the NFL. This is a gladiator sport, everyone knows it and has known it for decades. The concussion stuff has been well-known for probably a decade now and the league is more popular than ever.

Comment

Working...
                          X