Chargers @ Chiefs Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 2)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Bottom line, if they were trying to hurry it up and he was unable to do so he should have taken a knee and gone out for a play. It would have been first and goal from the 3 still. He didn't, half assed the play, and likely cost us the game.
    Is that really the bottom line?
    He is trained to do what he's told as best as he can, and to now ask him to make an executive decision to take a knee is a hard ask for someone who is trained to do what he's told.
    I think blaming the TE is pety and avoiding placing appropriate blame on those more responsible, namely Staley and our darling Herbert.
    Staley already admitted and took full responsibility, which I would say is just generous, and he should take shared/most.
    But Herbert too, as the QB and leader, he needs to have a feel for his weapons, especially in a critical time in the game.
    It's amazing to me how we can baby our leaders (Staley and Herbert) and place the "bottom line" on a FA TE for not making his case strong enough.

but let's stick with blaming Everett as a hypothetical
    If he was supposed to take a knee, why didn't he?
    He knew this is exactly what he should do because that's been communicated clearly by the greatest offensive coordinator in the game, right?
    Maybe he tried to take a knee but executed it wrongly?
    What is the explanation for why GE didn't take a knee that will resolve everyone but him of responsibility??
    serious question.
    G-Ro knows.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Is that really the bottom line?
      He is trained to do what he's told as best as he can, and to now ask him to make an executive decision to take a knee is a hard ask for someone who is trained to do what he's told.
      I think blaming the TE is pety and avoiding placing appropriate blame on those more responsible, namely Staley and our darling Herbert.
      Staley already admitted and took full responsibility, which I would say is just generous, and he should take shared/most.
      But Herbert too, as the QB and leader, he needs to have a feel for his weapons, especially in a critical time in the game.
      It's amazing to me how we can baby our leaders (Staley and Herbert) and place the "bottom line" on a FA TE for not making his case strong enough.

but let's stick with blaming Everett as a hypothetical
      If he was supposed to take a knee, why didn't he?
      He knew this is exactly what he should do because that's been communicated clearly by the greatest offensive coordinator in the game, right?
      Maybe he tried to take a knee but executed it wrongly?
      What is the explanation for why GE didn't take a knee that will resolve everyone but him of responsibility??
      serious question.
      You think the coaching staff told him it was okay to just jog out on his route and stop?

I can't fathom how anyone could look at that play and think what Everett did was faintly okay. Again, if he couldn't go on why not take a knee? Players do it all the time. If his football IQ is that low that he thinks he can jog out and stop on a play in crunch time, we should seriously consider significantly reducing his playing time. He half assed it and it swung the game to the Chiefs. I will again point out what Popper had on his post game segment about how the Chief players noticed him not completing his routes when he was tired. I hope the coaching staff is all over his ass on it.

Herbert throwing the ball exactly where it was supposed to go is somehow making excuses for our darling? Talk about hyperbole. So sure, Staley could have called a timeout and probably will in the future now knowing how low Everett's instincts and football IQ so go ahead and blame him if you like. Herbert could never throw a pass to a tired player, but that would mean he could pass about 10 times a game. This place is so weird sometimes.

Comment

• captaind
        Cook This Pork Chops
        • Jun 2013
        • Mars
        • Ball Holder
        • Send PM

You think the coaching staff told him it was okay to just jog out on his route and stop?

I can't fathom how anyone could look at that play and think what Everett did was faintly okay. Again, if he couldn't go on why not take a knee? Players do it all the time. If his football IQ is that low that he thinks he can jog out and stop on a play in crunch time, we should seriously consider significantly reducing his playing time. He half assed it and it swung the game to the Chiefs. I will again point out what Popper had on his post game segment about how the Chief players noticed him not completing his routes when he was tired. I hope the coaching staff is all over his ass on it.

Herbert throwing the ball exactly where it was supposed to go is somehow making excuses for our darling? Talk about hyperbole. So sure, Staley could have called a timeout and probably will in the future now knowing how low Everett's instincts and football IQ so go ahead and blame him if you like. Herbert could never throw a pass to a tired player, but that would mean he could pass about 10 times a game. This place is so weird sometimes.
        The coaching staff also has to be aware that he's primarily been a kick returner used as a WR on occasion. With KA out, and some pretty high temps he may not be accustomed to, the coaching staff also has to be aware it will take time for him to adjust his conditioning for that role.

Not making excuses for him, but it is what it is, situational awareness. I still put more of it on the coaching staff than Everett. Heck, maybe it all goes back to Lombardi, lol.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Staley already took the blame for this play. They didn’t need a time out. Just needed to sub out and not go quick. Maybe it’s Staley’s football IQ that should be questioned

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

The coaching staff also has to be aware that he's primarily been a kick returner used as a WR on occasion. With KA out, and some pretty high temps he may not be accustomed to, the coaching staff also has to be aware it will take time for him to adjust his conditioning for that role.

Not making excuses for him, but it is what it is, situational awareness. I still put more of it on the coaching staff than Everett. Heck, maybe it all goes back to Lombardi, lol.
            I think you are confusing Everett with Carter - Evert was not a kick returner and part time WR, Carter was.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Staley already took the blame for this play. They didn’t need a time out. Just needed to sub out and not go quick. Maybe it’s Staley’s football IQ that should be questioned
              If he doesn't learn from his mistakes it would be reasonable to question his football IQ.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Golden Boy QB and Head Coach of the Year both fucked up and cost us the game. Happens with non-playoff teams.

Comment

• captaind
                  Cook This Pork Chops
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Mars
                  • Ball Holder
                  • Send PM

I think you are confusing Everett with Carter - Evert was not a kick returner and part time WR, Carter was.
                  Dang, you're right. I've lost a step. :shock:

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

If he doesn't learn from his mistakes it would be reasonable to question his football IQ.
                    oh, so for Staley he gets a pass and maybe he'll learn from his mistake but for Everett you want to reduce his playing time, call him football stupid, lazy all the tropes come out

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

I think we're not communicating in good faith, and by "we" I mean you. No offense, I love your posts, god knows I'm not making many friends around here, but frankly you're putting words in my mouth, and avoiding looking into the situation closer, especially in the way I'm asking you to.
                      my position is simply that it is very believable that Everett didn't take a knee because he TRIED to execute, a shitty attempt granted, but he looks like he TRIED to run his route and he was absolutely zapped and TRIED to do the responsible thing by exiting the game, just to get called back in, and I can't blame a guy for trying, especially after told by a coach to go and... TRY.
                      I think if you ask GE, he would agree (hindsight) that he should have taken a knee or even say "fuck you Staley" and directly disobey a command, but for some reason he didn't and my first thought isn't that he lacks football IQ, my first look is at who is in charge, that's Staley/Lombo.
                      why does this guy not know "what to do" and judging by what I've seen thus far, it makes sense to me that Staley and company haven't clearly covered this adequately.
                      And if the KC players are seeing this weakness in GE, I double down on my blame on Staley and Lombo, why the fuck are you asking this guy who is showing signs of inability when tired, to run a quick pattern after 2 big catches on that drive?
                      I can live with a stupid TE, not a stupid Head Coach.

It's shared responsibility imo, but HC has to take lion share--oh wait he did. Followed by the guy trusted with the ball on every play, thats Herbo, and lastly, the guy who tried to get out of that situation in the first place.

I realize we're far apart, so unless there's anything deeper to go into, I'll end here.

Can't wait to start blaming the same person for something else soon, because this shit is exhausting!
                      haha
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think we're not communicating in good faith, and by "we" I mean you. No offense, I love your posts, god knows I'm not making many friends around here, but frankly you're putting words in my mouth, and avoiding looking into the situation closer, especially in the way I'm asking you to.
                        my position is simply that it is very believable that Everett didn't take a knee because he TRIED to execute, a shitty attempt granted, but he looks like he TRIED to run his route and he was absolutely zapped and TRIED to do the responsible thing by exiting the game, just to get called back in, and I can't blame a guy for trying, especially after told by a coach to go and... TRY.
                        I think if you ask GE, he would agree (hindsight) that he should have taken a knee or even say "fuck you Staley" and directly disobey a command, but for some reason he didn't and my first thought isn't that he lacks football IQ, my first look is at who is in charge, that's Staley/Lombo.
                        why does this guy not know "what to do" and judging by what I've seen thus far, it makes sense to me that Staley and company haven't clearly covered this adequately.
                        And if the KC players are seeing this weakness in GE, I double down on my blame on Staley and Lombo, why the fuck are you asking this guy who is showing signs of inability when tired, to run a quick pattern after 2 big catches on that drive?
                        I can live with a stupid TE, not a stupid Head Coach.

It's shared responsibility imo, but HC has to take lion share--oh wait he did. Followed by the guy trusted with the ball on every play, thats Herbo, and lastly, the guy who tried to get out of that situation in the first place.

I realize we're far apart, so unless there's anything deeper to go into, I'll end here.

Can't wait to start blaming the same person for something else soon, because this shit is exhausting!
                        haha
                        No worries - not trying to be argumentative here - well, no more than usual!

The only thing missing on that play is blaming Lombardi!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

I know we should be done hashing this, but I keep forgeting to post this. Remember the int where they said the ball was trapped against the ground? I swore I saw several plays in the past, where if the hands are on the ball, under it, they still call it a catch...and then an even worse looking catch was called good this weekend after replay....lol, I cant remember which game now...I was watching redzone...maybe TB VS Saints? Anybody else see that? Anyway, all three INTs negated by dubious calls...you would think one would go our way....still fuming, but very happy with the D...cant wait to play those clowns again...
                          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X