Jaguars @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Week 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    If anyone plans on rewatching the last two games, please take note of how many "wide open" targets Herbert has thrown to.
    Especially TD throws

Off memory I'd say no wide open TD throws and very few in general. Point is, we are asking Herbert to be accurate way too often to just get the offense moving.
    I think this has lead to his noticeable frustration entering the KC game.

Idk if we can scheme some guys open or if KA makes that much more of an impact, but we absolutely need guys to get open before it starts to affect Herbert's mental processing and development.

Guyton is a good start, parham is a mismatch against a lot of guys.
    It didn't seem this way last year so I also wonder if defenses are playing us a bit different so far this year.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I watched part of that game and he does indeed have a lot of weapons around him. Hill was really wide open frequently during that comeback but the one thing that really struck me was how much effort Tua had to put into some of those long passes vs how effortlessly Herbert makes those same throws.
      Yep...in fact, on one of Tua's deep balls to Hill for a TD, Tua totally wound up and threw it with all he's got, and it was still a bit underthrown...but Hill had so much separation, he slowed down a bit to make the catch and trotted into the EZ...I think Herbie makes that throw easily and hits Hill in stride...

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        If I'm the Jags, I game plan about like this:

1. When the Bolts are on offense, I mostly stack the box to take away our ground game and short pass game, daring Lombo to quit playing Lomboball. I go with a two-safety shell, but bring them both up quite a bit, and if it's an obvious run or short pass, one of safeties rotates to the side of the play for additional support. On the D-line, I rotate or double stack Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue opposite Norton, and rotate Malik Jackson and Marcell Dareus opposite Feiler till he begs for mercy. Don't even waste time sending any of them vs. Zion or Slater. If Clapp is still in there, that's a bonus and attack the gap between Clapp and Feiler.

Calais Campbell is on the Ravens. Yannick Ngakoue is with the Colts. Marcell Dareus and Malik Jackson are free agents. The Jaguars run a 3-4 and have two young pass-rushers to be concerned about: Trayvon Walker, who was the first overall pick this past April, and Josh Allen (the other one). They also signed Folorunso Fatukasi, an interior defensive lineman, away from the Jets this offseason. Their nose tackle is Davon Hamilton, who's in his third year after being drafted in the third round out of Ohio State. They used another first-round pick this past April on Devin Lloyd, an inside linebacker.

They have talent on their defense, for sure.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

You know things are bad when we have an entire thread that has be mostly devoted to worrying about beating the Jacksonville Jaguars. Teams that have Super Bowl aspirations - and a winning attitude, which this team obviously does NOT have - are confident about taking care of business in games like this.

If we can't beat Jax - soundly - then we have no business doing anything more than starting a 2023 College Draft thread.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

4. I would like Herbert to take solid, non-harmful contact early in the game so that he knows he is okay out there and can just focus on playing football after that point. I think that could help him out considerably from a mental perspective.
            How would Justin be able to determine what will be non-harmful contact. It might hurt if his linemen bumps into his ribs. and it might not hurt if a D runs into him. Just wont be able to tell ahead of time what contact would and would not hurt. I want Justin's jersey to be COMPLETELY clean other than his own sweat stains. I dont want a single finger touching him.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              You know things are bad when we have an entire thread that has be mostly devoted to worrying about beating the Jacksonville Jaguars. Teams that have Super Bowl aspirations - and a winning attitude, which this team obviously does NOT have - are confident about taking care of business in games like this.

If we can't beat Jax - soundly - then we have no business doing anything more than starting a 2023 College Draft thread.
              Jax just shutout the Colts. They aren't the worst team in the league anymore. Our QB is injured and if he plays will be less than 100 percent.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Jax just shutout the Colts. They aren't the worst team in the league anymore. Our QB is injured and if he plays will be less than 100 percent.
                They are in the bottom 5-7, even with their most recent victory. That game didn't suddenly catapult them into the Top 10 (or even 20, IMO).

The injury to Herbert, OTOH, is a significant worry. But even an 85% Justin Herbert, playoff-bound teams shouldn't be worried about beating bottom 10 teams. Which does NOT mean that we have the luxury - even with a 100% Herbie - of looking past the Jags (or anyone else). However, if we have improved in other areas of the team, like we've all been saying, then that should be more than enough to beat Jacksonville. The fact that this game is a concern speaks volumes, to me at least, about our readiness to even make the playoffs, no less going deep into them.
                Last edited by QSmokey; 09-19-2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

There is ZERO information to be gained by the Jags Colts game.

The Colts mark this as a loss every year as they have not won there since something like 2014.

You can glean more applicable information about the jags as the team that looked bad against the Washington Corruption in week 1.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

They are in the bottom 5-7, even with their most recent victory. That game didn't suddenly catapult them into the Top 10 (or even 20, IMO).

The injury to Herbert, OTOH, is a significant worry. But even an 85% Justin Herbert, playoff-bound teams shouldn't be worried about beating bottom 10 teams. Which does NOT mean that we have the luxury - even with an 100% Herbie - of looking past the Jags (or anyone else). However, if we have improved in other areas of the team, like we've all been saying, then that should be more than enough to be Jacksonville. The fact that this game is a concern speaks volumes, to me at least, about our readiness to even make the playoffs, no less going deep into them.
                    us fans having concern over this game does not make it the same for the team's mentality. I believe the team believes they should be able to win this game, not cuz they're looking past the jags, but because they are a better team than the jags and will prepare better.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Trap game for the over confident Jags!

Just trying to lighten up the gloom around here.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

The injury to Herbert, OTOH, is a significant worry. But even an 85% Justin Herbert, playoff-bound teams shouldn't be worried about beating bottom 10 teams. Which does NOT mean that we have the luxury - even with an 100% Herbie - of looking past the Jags (or anyone else). However, if we have improved in other areas of the team, like we've all been saying, then that should be more than enough to be Jacksonville. The fact that this game is a concern speaks volumes, to me at least, about our readiness to even make the playoffs, no less going deep into them.
                        Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                        There is ZERO information to be gained by the Jags Colts game.

The Colts mark this as a loss every year as they have not won there since something like 2014.

You can glean more applicable information about the jags as the team that looked bad against the Washington Corruption in week 1.
                        What you both fail to realize is that the Jaguars are an ascending team. They have a good young QB, a really good run game, a number of high round picks from recent drafts. Now they have a coach with a Super Bowl pedigree. We see bad teams ascend meteorically all the time in the NFL. Look at the Bengals last season. The Jags have been bad so long that you can't envision them any other way. But they were very impressive yesterday against the Colts and I'm here to tell you they are a team on the rise and a force to be reckoned with and respected.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

If they still have Urban then yeah no big deal. Now that they have Patterson, they will be better prepared.

Comment

Working...
                          X