Jaguars @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Week 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...hey Crusher, did u notice how many times Lombo dialed up that lame swing pass or wideout pass behind the LOS in the Chef game? Besides running the rock up the gut for nada, the old predictable pass behind the LOS is an especially ineffective play vs. a stacked box...multiple tackles for loss or stopped at the LOS with that play...so, so lame...
    Obviously, we have saturated the short zones with our passing game and opponents are playing us for those passes. Sideline passes to Palmer are lame because he does not have any shake and bake to his game, so he is not going to make people miss and gain a lot of yards after the catch, not that I like them much better with other WRs.

I do not know why we are not using the WRs to clear out the short zones (force the defenders to gain some depth) and then running Ekeler out to the flat so we can actually gain yardage on flat passes instead of doing the short quick sideline passes that the defenses are just sitting there and waiting to defend. We used to check plays down to RBs like that all the time when we had some guy named Rivers playing QB for us. I loved it and I am sure it drove opposing fans nuts that we could survey the medium and deep zones and then, if nothing was there, do a little dump off pass to Ekeler or Sproles and gain 15 yards very easily.

Unless we are going to check the ball down to the RB in the middle, I do not like the plays where the RB blocks in the middle, goes through the line, and then is supposed to get outside to one side or the other. The play is over before the RB ever runs his route. If we are going to throw to the RB on one side of the field, at most, we should have him chip on a DE on his way out to the flat.

Even the combo routes are too compacted and those are designed to attack at different depths.

And if we ever do start throwing more medium passes, I would love to see Guyton on some crossing patterns so he can use his speed to turn the corner as he tries to run away from the defense (like we used to do with Tyrell Williams and the Chiefs did with Tyreek Hill).

But definitely, these first two games have been among Lombardi's worst. I think better play calling in the first two games could have gained us about another 35 points or so.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Oklahoma
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Chase Daniel - Numbers dont lie. He's IMPROVING! (In Lombo's System)
      2022 Preseason Stats
      69.4 PCT passing pct.
      3 TD's, 0 INT
      109.3 Passer Rating

2021 67.4 Pass rating
      2019 81.7
      2018 93.1
      Throw preseason out the window, hasn't thrown a regular season pass since 2020....without looking it up I'll guess he barely played
      Jags front 7 is one of the best already this year, massively upgraded adding Walker, Lloyd, Oluokun, Futukasi, Muma, and Key
      DBs can cover but they can't rush the passer or stop the run as a whole like the front 7. Balke knows what he is doing. He laid the foundation for the 49ers defense who took Jimmy G to a SB and NFC Championship game. Late round RBs by the way.
      Pedersen to this point a better coach than Staley and we know a better play caller than Lombardi. I think we see it Sunday.
      Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 09-21-2022, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I'm holding at step 3, knowing Lombo isn't going anywhere this year and hoping he's just a little slow coming up to speed. If he cannot devise a strategy to outscore the Jags, I'm jumping ahead to Step 5.
        On the bright side, at least you've moved on from stages 1 and 2...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

But definitely, these first two games have been among Lombardi's worst. I think better play calling in the first two games could have gained us about another 35 points or so AND A WIN OVER THE CHEFS.
          There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

I dont think its healthy to read this forum at this stage... overreactions all over the place... go back to your life fellas... comeback on sunday.

Comment

• electricgold
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Obviously, we have saturated the short zones with our passing game and opponents are playing us for those passes. Sideline passes to Palmer are lame because he does not have any shake and bake to his game, so he is not going to make people miss and gain a lot of yards after the catch, not that I like them much better with other WRs.

I do not know why we are not using the WRs to clear out the short zones (force the defenders to gain some depth) and then running Ekeler out to the flat so we can actually gain yardage on flat passes instead of doing the short quick sideline passes that the defenses are just sitting there and waiting to defend. We used to check plays down to RBs like that all the time when we had some guy named Rivers playing QB for us. I loved it and I am sure it drove opposing fans nuts that we could survey the medium and deep zones and then, if nothing was there, do a little dump off pass to Ekeler or Sproles and gain 15 yards very easily.

Unless we are going to check the ball down to the RB in the middle, I do not like the plays where the RB blocks in the middle, goes through the line, and then is supposed to get outside to one side or the other. The play is over before the RB ever runs his route. If we are going to throw to the RB on one side of the field, at most, we should have him chip on a DE on his way out to the flat.

Even the combo routes are too compacted and those are designed to attack at different depths.

And if we ever do start throwing more medium passes, I would love to see Guyton on some crossing patterns so he can use his speed to turn the corner as he tries to run away from the defense (like we used to do with Tyrell Williams and the Chiefs did with Tyreek Hill).

But definitely, these first two games have been among Lombardi's worst. I think better play calling in the first two games could have gained us about another 35 points or so.
              I get we are all putting this on our OC however this is something our HC has to address if we start losing games because of play calling. I wouldn't say we are there yet.

We'll see if we can get a winning streak going these next games coming up. I would think we have the ability to do that at this point. If you look at what the Bills have done, they have taken a QB sort of similar to Herbert and looks like they have become one of the best teams in the league in a few seasons with him.

If the Chargers can't progress close to this level at this point, Then this culture here with coaches and players is not who we thought it was and they really don't have the right stuff. playoff or new regime. period.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Actually, at least Crusher is pointing out areas for improvement...he wants to see us win as much as the rest of us do...the only difference is, some people are going through the Five Stages of Lombo Grief:

1. DENIAL: Some fans DENY there is a problem with Lombo. Our losses and near-losses are due to other factors.

2. ANGER: Many fans are ANGRY that a few of us would dare to question Lombo's lame playcalling.

3. BARGAINING: A lot of fans start to suggest alternatives short of firing Lombo.

4. DEPRESSION: A few fans realize something is horribly wrong, but sit in a Bolt funk, shocked at seeing us lose again to a mediocre team, but slowly realizing something needs to change.

5. ACCEPTANCE: A very few of us have moved on from stages 1-4 and accepted the ugly truth: Lombo is unqualified, unable to game plan utilizing Herbie's and other players' talents, and unwilling to make in-game adjustments. The only alternative is Lombo needs to be fired.
                You may find you need for him to repost the same opinion 50 times and screech that his opinion is always fact for emphasis, I dont. He’s a berserker with a sledge hammer, swinging wildly and bludgeoning the entire village into submission. I’m sick of his endlessly repetitive diatribes. He doesnt say anything new, you realize that, right? He literally makes this place un-fun for me. “At least” is saying an opinion once, maybe twice. There is no at least about saying the same thing 50 times over and over and over and over and over again.

At least you created a handy 5-step retake on the same exact point - kudos for applying your creative talent to the same point. Thanks for that sterling contribution, i had no idea you two had a negative opinion of Lombo until you rephrased the same exact fucking point yet again in a catchy 5-step format.

perhaps you too could think up a new contribution to this thread too? Just sayin … we’ve been there and quite thoroughly done this.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Throw preseason out the window, hasn't thrown a regular season pass since 2020....without looking it up I'll guess he barely played
                  Jags front 7 is one of the best already this year, massively upgraded adding Walker, Lloyd, Oluokun, Futukasi, Muma, and Key
                  DBs can cover but they can't rush the passer or stop the run as a whole like the front 7. Balke knows what he is doing. He laid the foundation for the 49ers defense who took Jimmy G to a SB and NFC Championship game. Late round RBs by the way.
                  Pedersen to this point a better coach than Staley and we know a better play caller than Lombardi. I think we see it Sunday.
                  Wow the Jags defense sounds like the 85' Bears defense. Seems like we only have 2 chances to move the ball. Slim and none, and slim just left town.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Wow the Jags defense sounds like the 85' Bears defense. Seems like we only have 2 chances to move the ball. Slim and none, and slim just left town.
                    I think the Colts are every bit as horrible as they have appeared. 2 games doesn’t truly reveal anything but I am confident in our mighty Bolts! ON TO VICTORY!

Comment

• WindsorUK
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Windsor, U.K.
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think the Colts are every bit as horrible as they have appeared. 2 games doesn’t truly reveal anything but I am confident in our mighty Bolts! ON TO VICTORY!
                      Matt Ryan was toast a few years ago when we saw him at the soccer stadium in Carson.
                      Colts stink.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Lawrence week 1 rating = 76 with 1TD/1 INT, basically matching his 2021 season rating of 71. I look forward to seeing the kid panic under pressure from our defensive front and I discount the Colts game as an aberration of how any NFL QB will play with zero pressure and poor defensive coverage. Nothing personal, just business kid.

Advantage Chargers!

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          Lawrence week 1 rating = 76 with 1TD/1 INT, basically matching his 2021 season rating of 71. I look forward to seeing the kid panic under pressure from our defensive front and I discount the Colts game as an aberration of how any NFL QB will play with zero pressure and poor defensive coverage. Nothing personal, just business kid.

Advantage Chargers!
                          Hoping DJ gives the kid a welcome to the NFL type of blindside sack/fumble on his second year.

Comment

Working...
                          X