Jaguars @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Week 3)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    At tail end of Zion Johnson HOFer article:

One of the biggest surprises of the season so far is the play of third-year linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr.

Murray has looked fast, physical and, most importantly, much more comfortable in the scheme and his assignments. He is playing the run really well, fitting into the right gaps, shedding blocks and making plays on the ball. And he has also flashed in coverage. One play against the
    Raiders in Week 1, where Murray fought through a pick to cover running back Ameer Abdullah on a wheel route down the right sideline and force an incompletion, really stood out.

A few here have the knee jerk reaction of kicking something to the curb if there is a setback or it does not immediately pan out.
    "Immediately"? "Knee jerk reaction"? Isn't this Murray's like 4th year in the League. Wish I had your patience, pbb. Also, not to dispute the analysis from the snippet above, but I don't recall too many, if any, posts on this board which featured high praise for Murray's performance so far this year. In other words, he's still not nearly the impact player that I, at least, would expect from a former 1st-round pick. Maybe he can become a solid backup/depth player; but I still have doubts regarding his potential. I think he's at, or near, his ceiling. And I'm not going to shed too many tears if we lose him to another team.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      Hey Gang - who’s feeling positive?

I smell victory … GO BOLTS!
      Not me. But then, I never feel positive going into a game involving the Chargers. Which is kinda sad, because we really need this game. And the next. And the next. But I have a feeling this is going to our "Houston" game from last year, i.e., the game we all look back upon as the game that cost us a chance at the playoffs.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        The Chargers are currently -3.5 at home against the Jags tomorrow. But they are -6.5 currently for next week's game in Houston.
        -3.5 for a home game is like pick'em on a neutral field.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

"Immediately"? "Knee jerk reaction"? Isn't this Murray's like 4th year in the League. Wish I had your patience, pbb. Also, not to dispute the analysis from the snippet above, but I don't recall too many, if any, posts on this board which featured high praise for Murray's performance so far this year. In other words, he's still not nearly the impact player that I, at least, would expect from a former 1st-round pick. Maybe he can become a solid backup/depth player; but I still have doubts regarding his potential. I think he's at, or near, his ceiling. And I'm not going to shed too many tears if we lose him to another team.
          Its not immediate, but this is his 3rd year not 4th. He was a late 1st round so we have an extra year (i think?) on his rookie contract. Lets give him a this season to grow and see where we are at the end - he definitely seems on the up this year from his rather lost 2021, although I didnt know until this off season that he was playing thru an injury all year. He still can improve.

you can’t teach big strong fast - he’s the most athletic LB we have. Bitter beer about yr 1 and yr 2 is completely pointless at this point. Making a decision based on the first two years would be childish.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

If Herbert, Linsley, JC, Allen and Parham miss this game, or any of them. Jville is no push over this year. This game will speak volumes if they can pull out a win for the O and the D. But from what it sounds like, I am looking at the D to take this game over period. And I think they know it, especially if Herbert is out.

Comment

• SDBORN
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Pisses me off even more now that we were robbed of that game at arrowhead. Chargers should have put it away easily but once again found a way to lose a close one that should have never been close to begin with. The charger way.

Now this upcoming game is even more important against a conference opponent. The injuries to the key players this early in the season (with 10 days of rest in between games) are concerning.

Hopefully Herbert can go and Clapp does his job. If chase is the one to start, he has a lot to prove.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                If Herbert, Linsley, JC, Allen and Parham miss this game, or any of them. Jville is no push over this year. This game will speak volumes if they can pull out a win for the O and the D. But from what it sounds like, I am looking at the D to take this game over period. And I think they know it, especially if Herbert is out.
                We have been told many times this year Jags > 85 bears based on them beating a bad Colts team that they have not lost to at home since 2012.

We get it.

Comment

• perryao
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                  Herbert will play, padded. He’ll resemble the way Matt Stafford looks all the time…padded.
                  I'm not so sure padding will protect him enough. That break can be exacerbated by the torque of throwing a ball, I think. Not sure about that.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Not playing through a knee injury is slacking off? WTF?
                    I'm not talking about Linsley...I'm talkin about JC. and I'm not saying he is gaither but I still remember what gaither did to the team after signing the big contract. I doubt JC is that way, it's just everytime a player gets a big contract I remember gaither and that LBer (Butler?) the team resigned and then just disappeared.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                      linsley being out is a bigger concern than JC. But PLEASE dont be a shiny new FA that got paid and is slackin off now. I still remember lazy gaither.
                      Yah, what's up with this - he has two ankles, he should just get out there and hop around on the good one. These kids nowadays! Stay on them jubei.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post

I'm not so sure padding will protect him enough. That break can be exacerbated by the torque of throwing a ball, I think. Not sure about that.
                        Yup.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                          Day One...
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Brentwood, 94513
                          • Send PM

This is becoming more concerning the closer it gets. Jacksonville is 0-18 on West coast trips. Let’s keep that going. Watching those duck passes Matt Ryan was tossing for picks is why they shut the Colts down.
                          Our defense can show them a real shut down defense.
                          I feel Herbert will play, but if he can get more rest, I’d prefer that. Let Daniel earn some of that paycheck. Shit that hurts even typing it.

Comment

Working...
                          X