Chargers @ Texans Pregame Thread (Week 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Eke is going to be key as a screen guy to simmer down passrushers.
    He's not effective as a runner rn, so let's make him an honorary WR. Idk what his 40 is but no doubt he can make big plays in the passing game.
    that makes Kelley rb1 in mybook too.

Fieler looks bad without an all pro center, so as much as Staley likes stability, I think we should experiment now while it's still early in the season.
    personally think our best lineup will end up being
    Pipkins Salyer Clapp Zion Fieler

I agree having Herb in the pocket might be more danger considering defenders know his mobility is limited
    might be worth considering giving him a running start on a roll out with frequency.
    The screen play to Ekkie only usually works vs. a defense with LB's backed off from the LOS...but when they stack the box against us, their lateral pursuit is usually enough to stop the screen for no gain or just a 1-2 yd. gain...

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

I think the key to all of this is whether or not Kenan plays. If he plays, I think the offense opens up a bit providing they can figure out a way to protect. Kenan's ability to get open has a cascading effect on the rest of the offense as it opens up other options as well. If he does not play, then no one else is able to get open, they stack the box, stop the run and offensively we have another day similar to last week.

We SHOULD be able to rely on the defense to help us win a low scoring game as our defensive personnel is still far better than their offensive personnel (even without Bosa). HOWEVER, they don't seem up to the task right now and I just don't trust the coaching staff to game plan us to a win.

So, again...to me it all comes down to Kenan.
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

1). Moving forward I would focus on getting carries to ONLY Ek and Kelley. There is no need for an active 3 RB committee. This only dilutes Ek and Kelley's touches and playmaking abilities. If they need to dress a 3rd RB then at this point I would prefer it to be Spiller unless he just looks lost in practice. In that case Michel can be the emergency RB.

2). Reshuffle the OL with many of the fine combinations many of you have already suggested. This is where we will see what kind of coaching we have. Can do undergo a major OL reshuffle early in the year and survive? Teams with good coaching can, let's see if we are one of them.

3). Need to find a way to get pressure on the opposing QBs. We haven't generated much pressure since the Raiders game, even when we had a healthy Bosa + Mack. Again, coaching needs to figure out a way to make this happen with the existing talent on defense.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
          1). Moving forward I would focus on getting carries to ONLY Ek and Kelley. There is no need for an active 3 RB committee. This only dilutes Ek and Kelley's touches and playmaking abilities. If they need to dress a 3rd RB then at this point I would prefer it to be Spiller unless he just looks lost in practice. In that case Michel can be the emergency RB.

2). Reshuffle the OL with many of the fine combinations many of you have already suggested. This is where we will see what kind of coaching we have. Can do undergo a major OL reshuffle early in the year and survive? Teams with good coaching can, let's see if we are one of them.

3). Need to find a way to get pressure on the opposing QBs. We haven't generated much pressure since the Raiders game, even when we had a healthy Bosa + Mack. Again, coaching needs to figure out a way to make this happen with the existing talent on defense.
          Dallas lost their starting QB and starting OT and are 2-1. What you are looking for with your points is good coaching.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Dallas lost their starting QB and starting OT and are 2-1. What you are looking for with your points is good coaching.
            Well it's apparent that Dallas also has good backups at those positions, but yeah, coaching matters. Let's see what we got.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Agree.

as for 3 our defense is as vanilla as our offense. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dl stunt and the blitzes are few and far between. Staley is not a schemer. He’s a let’s get the best possible guys to win one on ones.

as for 1, they should have figured that shit out in pre season. Is Spiller a bust?

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Agree.

as for 3 our defense is as vanilla as our offense. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dl stunt and the blitzes are few and far between. Staley is not a schemer. He’s a let’s get the best possible guys to win one on ones.
                That has been my observation as well so far...I think he has just been banking on superior talent winning matchups.

Now he is forced to coach. I, for one, am interested to see how he responds.

Comment

• DennisR91
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2021
                  • Send PM

As much as we all want to air it out

the chargers were 5-2 last year when rushing for more than 100 yards according to my stats look up?

that’s 10-7 record lol

We need some semblance of a power run game imo. You put in 5 plays of power run 10 yards each then your half way to a higher chance at victory

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

Well it's apparent that Dallas also has good backups at those positions, but yeah, coaching matters. Let's see what we got.
                    Well Jerry is a better GM than TT. And their HC and DC are very experienced and successful.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DennisR91 View Post
                      As much as we all want to air it out

the chargers were 5-2 last year when rushing for more than 100 yards according to my stats look up?

that’s 10-7 record lol

We need some semblance of a power run game imo. You put in 5 plays of power run 10 yards each then your half way to a higher chance at victory
                      Yep could you imagine if Derrick Henry or Jonathan Taylor was our featured back! WE need a Troy/E.Smith combo here with Ek as our 3rd down back!

Just looked up the league leaders in rushing and their all power backs! We need a power back!

Comment

• DennisR91
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Yep could you imagine if Derrick Henry or Jonathan Taylor was our featured back! WE need a Troy/E.Smith combo here with Ek as our 3rd down back!

Just looked up the league leaders in rushing and their all power backs! We need a power back!

i agree! But we don’t even need a premier back to get to 100 yds

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

What we need is a capable OL. Then, all our RB's will look good.

I thought we finally had a good OL this year but Feiler started having trouble and the injury bug hit us hard. Now we don't even know who will be playing next week.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X