Broncos @ Chargers Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 6)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

No maximum protections. No long reads first (a point that most seem to overlook). No speedy receivers now (refusal to use speedy receivers before). Refusal to sign speedy receivers. No shot plays on third down or 4th down and short yardage to go. No checks to long passes when the defense is squatting short, etc. The vast majority of passes were absolutely designed short passes on which everyone or almost everyone was short along with their defenders, creating tight windowed throwing lanes all over the place.

There is zero mystery here at all. The lack of air yards on passes thrown is exactly what happened with Lombardi in DET when that team had Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

The excuse making for Lombardi has got to stop. Lombardi himself has admitted to being too conservative in his play calling two games and making a key play calling mistake in a third game.

This pattern of passes did not suddenly just start to exist against DEN. It has been a problem against every opponent we have played against all season long.

The quoted post above is absurd in its take and completely contradicted by nearly a year and a half of data.
    Stay the hell away from me. I want nothing to do with you. If this forum had an IGNORE function, YOU would be on it.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Sorry, let me be more clear. I disagree and will not respond after this. The argument is over.
      Where is Fleet? The problem has returned.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Where is Fleet? The problem has returned.
        CC has his views and is contributing to the forum even if you and I may disagree with it. Nothing he has said has crossed the rules. As least as far as I’ve seen.

Edit: please check your messages and get back to me via PM.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Besides winning, the best part of the game was the several times Melvin Gordon was shown sulking on the sideline.

I bet being benched against his old team in a prime time game had to go chap his ass.

Comment

• victoriaboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • victoria b.c.
            • Send PM

Injuries across the o line ,no keenan I think they played ok on offense. My big concern is Herbert. He's missing some reads and his passes just look off.I think the ribs are really affecting him.Would be nice to get a consistent running game going to help the kid out.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Sorry, let me be more clear. I disagree and will not respond after this. The argument is over.
              Good idea, think I'll do the same.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yet the passing game yielded a higher yards per pass attempt and completion with the switch to Lombardi than Steichen. How do you explain that, even after cutting TJ?
                1. Anthony Lynn's insistence on early down running plays severely reduced the effectiveness of the passing game.

2. Our OL was the worst in the NFL in 2020, reducing the effectiveness of the passing game versus later seasons.

3. Herbert was a rookie in 2020, reducing the effectiveness of the passing game versus later seasons.

4. We threw much more to RBs in 2020 as a percentage of passes and those are shorter passes.

5. I could be mistaken here, but I do not recall any huge play dropped coverages in 2020 like the two flat own blown coverages we had against CLE in 2021 on long passes to Mike Williams, including, but not limited to, a 72-yard pass play.

6. Despite all of 1-5, the YPA numbers are a push to the nearest tenth of a yard and the yards per reception numbers are within two tenths of a yard per reception when rounded to the nearest tenth. Both numbers are trending in Steichen's favor as Lombardi's offense continues to fail in 2022 despite virtually every factor being stacked against Steichen in 2020 in any comparison versus Lombardi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I get that you will not respond on the merits and state your basis for disagreement in response to my clear explanation regarding why the play was poorly designed.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I get that you will not respond on the merits and state your basis for disagreement in response to my clear explanation regarding why the play was poorly designed.
                    Just move on from this, please. Thanks.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post

To you. I’m happy to respectfully disagree and remain more cautiously optimistic.
                      Ok. In season, I am always gonna be a bit pollyanna-ish. Build on whatever positives there are.

It's a good idea, for sanity's sake, and as a matter of fandom.

Of course there is room for criticism.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The Chargers' passing numbers were the MOST yielded by the Bronco 'D' this season, so far.

Those who are framing the Bolts' offense as inept seem to overlook this, and the fact that the O-line is at FAR less than full strength.

The Chargers settling for FGs three times during regulation is at least as much a reflection of Denver's defense as it is of the Chargers' offense.
                        1. Matt Ryan threw for 251 yards against the Broncos, which was more than Herbert's 238, which it took Herbert 57 attempts to get.

2. Herbert's YPA of 4.2 was the LEAST of any starting QB playing against the Broncos this season.

3. Entering last night's game, according to the game's announcers, Herbert was the least sacked starting QB in the NFL.

4. The Chargers needing a bunch of first downs just to get into FG range and having to face 22 3rd downs is a reflection of Lombardi's inept play calling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Not mention their #1 WR is out.
                          The play calling is inept. The offensive talent is excellent except for the lack of a speedy WR, though the presence of Allen will make the talent on the field even better.

Comment

Working...
                          X