Broncos @ Chargers Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 6)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Disagree. And I’ll leave at that.
    I won't. One route was run behind the line of scrimmage. One route was run at a vertical level in between two other routes that barely had enough vertical separation themselves without the third route being run right in between them further compacting the area on the offensive left side. (We saw this same problem against KC.) All routes were run by slow receivers not likely to gain separation (a FB and 2 TEs). Our one WR in the game was covered by one of the best CBs in the league. Sorry, that play design gets an F grade. Ekeler was not even in the game on the critical third down and 1.

The play design is not likely to produce an open receiver. It is the very definition of a bad play design.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Speed is great as long as they have all the other needed qualities. Size, intelligence, HANDS, route running, etc. Simple straight line speed doesn't rate a high pick.
      Having KA playing sets the table. Either he's open or he drew a crowd and someone else is by their lonesome.

I want a top TE. If we can find one.
      I agree. For me, it is even better if we can get our much needed speed on the cheap (late pick or UDFA). The greater problem is that Lombardi does not want to use speedy receivers on deeper pass routes.

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
        https://406mtsports.com/college/big-...38d9d2a5a.html

Anyone else see that Bronco LB Alex Singleton recorded 19 solo tackles and 2 assists on MNF? WTH?
        Lived up to his name :chuckle:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

There are ups and downs for everyone.

See INDY. MIA.

We will like our early ugly wins when it is time to add it all up in December.

Obviously we have work to do.

The D is starting to show signs.

Get a running attack going.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghost View Post
            No maximum protections. No long reads first (a point that most seem to overlook). No speedy receivers now (refusal to use speedy receivers before). Refusal to sign speedy receivers. No shot plays on third down or 4th down and short yardage to go. No checks to long passes when the defense is squatting short, etc. The vast majority of passes were absolutely designed short passes on which everyone or almost everyone was short along with their defenders, creating tight windowed throwing lanes all over the place.

There is zero mystery here at all. The lack of air yards on passes thrown is exactly what happened with Lombardi in DET when that team had Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

The excuse making for Lombardi has got to stop. Lombardi himself has admitted to being too conservative in his play calling two games and making a key play calling mistake in a third game.

This pattern of passes did not suddenly just start to exist against DEN. It has been a problem against every opponent we have played against all season long.

The quoted post above is absurd in its take and completely contradicted by nearly a year and a half of data.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We threw deep all the time with the worst OL in the entire NFL in 2020. How was that possible? Obviously, protection schemes can be altered to allow for the deep passing game.

However, if you are saying that our coaches and GM are idiots because they have not bothered to have multiple speedy WRs on the active roster, then I am in complete agreement with you. This horrible state of the offense was entirely foreseeable from the moment we cut Tyron Johnson and decided in our infinite wisdom to keep only one speedy WR on the roster.
              Yet the passing game yielded a higher yards per pass attempt and completion with the switch to Lombardi than Steichen. How do you explain that, even after cutting TJ?

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post
                I can understand that. But I’ve seen this movie before and while I’m not pessimistic, I have seen enough to be skeptical until they can show consistency.
                I would point out that we have not seen this in recent years. We saw teams that started fast on O and fumbled leads at the end because the D sucked and ST sucked and the O couldn't keep going full throttle. This year, 4 of our 5 close games we won and did not Charger them away. When was the last time we won a game with D and ST when the O sucked? It has been a long time.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

No maximum protections. No long reads first (a point that most seem to overlook). No speedy receivers now (refusal to use speedy receivers before). Refusal to sign speedy receivers. No shot plays on third down or 4th down and short yardage to go. No checks to long passes when the defense is squatting short, etc. The vast majority of passes were absolutely designed short passes on which everyone or almost everyone was short along with their defenders, creating tight windowed throwing lanes all over the place.

There is zero mystery here at all. The lack of air yards on passes thrown is exactly what happened with Lombardi in DET when that team had Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

The excuse making for Lombardi has got to stop. Lombardi himself has admitted to being too conservative in his play calling two games and making a key play calling mistake in a third game.

This pattern of passes did not suddenly just start to exist against DEN. It has been a problem against every opponent we have played against all season long.

The quoted post above is absurd in its take and completely contradicted by nearly a year and a half of data.
                  You really believe that the loss of Slater (no matter how good a job Salyer is doing), Linsley's tendonitis problems and Pipkins' sprained MCL don't limit what the offense is doing?!?

IMO, the Chargers were appropriately respectful of the Broncos' defensive strength, and really limited doing the kinds of things that that invite turnovers.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yet the passing game yielded a higher yards per pass attempt and completion with the switch to Lombardi than Steichen. How do you explain that, even after cutting TJ?
                    The Chargers' passing numbers were the MOST yielded by the Bronco 'D' this season, so far.

Those who are framing the Bolts' offense as inept seem to overlook this, and the fact that the O-line is at FAR less than full strength.

The Chargers settling for FGs three times during regulation is at least as much a reflection of Denver's defense as it is of the Chargers' offense.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I won't. One route was run behind the line of scrimmage. One route was run at a vertical level in between two other routes that barely had enough vertical separation themselves without the third route being run right in between them further compacting the area on the offensive left side. (We saw this same problem against KC.) All routes were run by slow receivers not likely to gain separation (a FB and 2 TEs). Our one WR in the game was covered by one of the best CBs in the league. Sorry, that play design gets an F grade. Ekeler was not even in the game on the critical third down and 1.

The play design is not likely to produce an open receiver. It is the very definition of a bad play design.
                      Sorry, let me be more clear. I disagree and will not respond after this. The argument is over.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                        Those who are framing the Bolts' offense as inept seem to overlook this, and the fact that the O-line is at FAR less than full strength.
                        Not mention their #1 WR is out.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          I disagree and will not respond after this.
                          A wise choice.

Comment

Working...
                          X