Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOrvMeNow
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Bellichik and Harbaugh are the consensus hard nosed, control freak kind of coaches all the analysts think would be best for the Chargers, but be honest…..if you were the owner, you wouldn’t hire them because it would usurp your ego and power.

Harbaugh is downright psycho.

P.S. Now as a fan, with zero control…..it’s 100% different as I would like to see Harbaugh hired.
    Being the laughing stock of the entire NFL also usurps your ego.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

We really don't know how Staley interacted with the players.
      Handing out footballs after wins and using a lot of mans and bros when addressing them:
      it tells me nothing.

On a personal level, all I know is no player said a word about him once he was dismissed.
      Keenan's tweet last year said it all (cleveland game). he probably got along fine with the players and is a nice guy, but they knew that he made some crazy ass 4th down calls. there had to be thoughts on the sideline all the time: "should we take the FG here??"

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

We really don't know how Staley interacted with the players.
        Handing out footballs after wins and using a lot of mans and bros when addressing them:
        it tells me nothing.

On a personal level, all I know is no player said a word about him once he was dismissed.
        More importantly how well the players like Staley, I'm not sure it matters.

A Youtube channel I follow the guy is a former Army Sergant, and he says that he was not necessarily the best Sergant because he practiced "likership" rather than "leadership". He was OK, because he helped everyone get along, and when he needed to get something done he could always call in favors to get things done. However, he was not necessarily a guy who everyone was going to follow storming a hill under fire. Was Staley a "leadership" guy or a "likership".

There is also the case of Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aiken in Dallas. When he first got to Dallas, Jimmy had to be the hard guy and be a pain in the ass, because someone had to be "heavy" to make sure everyone knew that you did what was needed or else. And at least according to Aiken, by the time Johnson was leaving Dallas, he wasn't all that thrilled about playing the bad guy. So Aiken did it a while, when the former Sooners coach was there, but there was a reason he didn't last long either. Someone needed to make sure people understood their assignments, trained hard ... all the little things that go into being a great team.

It can be like in the movie the Miracle - Herb Brooks was the pain in the ass, discipline guy, and Craig Patrick and the doctor were the guys who were the friend and hand on the shoulder type. If you have really mature guys, maybe it comes from within more. With guys like Harbaugh and BB, we know who is going to be doing it, and we know how they will do it. It's not the most elegant way of enforcing the party line, but I don't think there is going to be any question of what is expected of them.

Comment

• NYBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Read that the NFL profit sharing was $400,000,000 last year. Where is all that money going Spano's..

Comment

• BoltAtlantic
            Professional Cynic
            • Jun 2017
            • Virginia Beach, VA
            • Send PM

Originally posted by NYBoltFan View Post
            Read that the NFL profit sharing was $400,000,000 last year. Where is all that money going Spano's..
            Debt servicing?
            There's no replacement for displacement, but a ProCharger sure helps...

Comment

• NYBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltAtlantic View Post

Debt servicing?
              Cant be that much, lol. You have to figure they have been receiving similar payouts every single year for quite some time now.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

More importantly how well the players like Staley, I'm not sure it matters.

A Youtube channel I follow the guy is a former Army Sergant, and he says that he was not necessarily the best Sergant because he practiced "likership" rather than "leadership". He was OK, because he helped everyone get along, and when he needed to get something done he could always call in favors to get things done. However, he was not necessarily a guy who everyone was going to follow storming a hill under fire. Was Staley a "leadership" guy or a "likership".

There is also the case of Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aiken in Dallas. When he first got to Dallas, Jimmy had to be the hard guy and be a pain in the ass, because someone had to be "heavy" to make sure everyone knew that you did what was needed or else. And at least according to Aiken, by the time Johnson was leaving Dallas, he wasn't all that thrilled about playing the bad guy. So Aiken did it a while, when the former Sooners coach was there, but there was a reason he didn't last long either. Someone needed to make sure people understood their assignments, trained hard ... all the little things that go into being a great team.

It can be like in the movie the Miracle - Herb Brooks was the pain in the ass, discipline guy, and Craig Patrick and the doctor were the guys who were the friend and hand on the shoulder type. If you have really mature guys, maybe it comes from within more. With guys like Harbaugh and BB, we know who is going to be doing it, and we know how they will do it. It's not the most elegant way of enforcing the party line, but I don't think there is going to be any question of what is expected of them.
                It’s a myth the coach has to be a hard ass.

Joe Gibbs had 3 SB wins and 4 NFC championships.

He was very soft spoken and nice. The reason he won so much is he was brilliant at player development and play calling.

Think about your own circumstances. Everyone has probably had more than one type of manager in their career.

Did the biggest SOB bring out the best in you or was another quality more important?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I sat on a plane next to Joe Bugel, God rest his soul, a few years back. He was very nice and shared some great stories about the Hogs while he coached under Gibbs. I think guys like him were a big part of the success of those Gibbs teams.

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BoltAtlantic
                    Professional Cynic
                    • Jun 2017
                    • Virginia Beach, VA
                    • Send PM

He was very soft spoken and nice. The reason he won so much is he was brilliant at player development and play calling.

Think about your own circumstances. Everyone has probably had more than one type of manager in their career.

Did the biggest SOB bring out the best in you or was another quality more important?
                    Plus 5 Winston/Nextel/Sprint/Whatever Sponsor It Is Now Cup series Championships and multiple Daytona 500s.

And oh yeah, was the OC for one Don Coryell before doing all of the above...
                    There's no replacement for displacement, but a ProCharger sure helps...

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

It depends on what you mean by hardass.

Gibbs didn't take shit from players and he would bench players for disciplinary reasons or poor play. He wasn't a yeller and screamer, he did a lot by positive reinforcement. Players knew from his demeanor when he was unhappy with them, and they wanted to play well for him, so they worked hard at their craft and got better.

Staley is a nice guy, and if that is his style he should be that way with his players. But if players are unable to get lined up and keep making mistakes of technique or assignment mistakes. Either he (and his assistants) are not good at communicating with the players or they are not correcting the mistakes in a way that the players are learning from them. But after 3 years, guys were still having trouble getting lined up, and making assignment mistakes, and blowing coverages. At some point Staley needed to do whatever it took to get those things fixed and he always was having trouble with it. It was finally enough.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        I sat on a plane next to Joe Bugel, God rest his soul, a few years back. He was very nice and shared some great stories about the Hogs while he coached under Gibbs. I think guys like him were a big part of the success of those Gibbs teams.

TG
                        As I recall, when Bugel became HC of the Cards, things turned kind of sour...

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2023
                          • Send PM

Fun video on Fred Dryer's memories of Don Coryell at SDSU.
                          Fred first meets the entire coaching staff: Coryell, Gibbs, Madden, Hannifan, Zampese, Hall.... and is not initially impressed
                          You'll enjoy it. There are no set rules on what makes a great coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X