Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltgang74
    We Are The Storm!
    • Aug 2018
    • Send PM

We shit the bed and miss the POs this season Again I say we start a hash tag movement.As fans we have ALL the power if and only if we unite.I say fan blackout next season if either the Spanus clan don't hire Payton and or sell the team.Im sure contractually they probably can't sell just yet but I'm all for a fan strike next season until this team starts producing a better product.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
      We shit the bed and miss the POs this season Again I say we start a hash tag movement.As fans we have ALL the power if and only if we unite.I say fan blackout next season if either the Spanus clan don't hire Payton and or sell the team.Im sure contractually they probably can't sell just yet but I'm all for a fan strike next season until this team starts producing a better product.
      That won't work, even if it was possible to unite all the long-suffering fans. The tickets to those home games would just be snatched up by the opposing team's fans. And fans in the seats is all the Span-asses care about. Maybe we should just all start rooting for other teams completely; put the LOS ANGELES Chargers in our rear-view mirror. After all, they left us, not the other way around...until now.

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

"on a Coryell Superbowl team" sing along.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

What I don't understand is why not just use all that stupid ridiculous amounts of money to hire ACTUAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE to run your franchise, stand the hell out of the way, and then bask in the glory and success???

​​​​​​
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
            What I don't understand is why not just use all that stupid ridiculous amounts of money to hire ACTUAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE to run your franchise, stand the hell out of the way, and then bask in the glory and success???

​​​​​​
            I have thought that many many years. But and this is just my theory, but Dean Spanos was gifted the team by his Dad. Family pass down. And I truly wonder how much practical business experience Deano has. He just seems very dim, obtuse, not very smart. His PR skills in San Diego - were terrible. Exhibit 1 - powder blues uniforms. He didn't make that change until he moved

Alex Spanos started selling sandwiches out of a truck, worked his business up, contractor, buying apartments, etc. I just wonder if Dean ever had to run a business. Even say just one apartment complex of 12 units. Manage the business, hire the repair people, clean them, bring in new tenants etc. Some skin in the game

So I am not sure Dean has enough business savvy to hire smart people and win games
            I think he just is not very smart person.

Dean has mentioned just wanting to move to Aspen and retiring. I think most Chargers fans wish he had done that 7 years ago

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I have thought that many many years. But and this is just my theory, but Dean Spanos was gifted the team by his Dad. Family pass down. And I truly wonder how much practical business experience Deano has. He just seems very dim, obtuse, not very smart. His PR skills in San Diego - were terrible. Exhibit 1 - powder blues uniforms. He didn't make that change until he moved

Alex Spanos started selling sandwiches out of a truck, worked his business up, contractor, buying apartments, etc. I just wonder if Dean ever had to run a business. Even say just one apartment complex of 12 units. Manage the business, hire the repair people, clean them, bring in new tenants etc. Some skin in the game

So I am not sure Dean has enough business savvy to hire smart people and win games
              I think he just is not very smart person.

Dean has mentioned just wanting to move to Aspen and retiring. I think most Chargers fans wish he had done that 7 years ago
              I knew the Spanos family since before they bought the Chargers. I grew up in the region where the old man - Alex - made his fortune in construction and real estate. I have always said that without a father who made a pile of money, Dean would've had a career working at Home Depot or something like that. There's nothing wrong with being a lifer at Home Depot - I have a friend whose done very well for himself doing just that - but he doesn't have the skills to manage extreme wealth and NFL franchise worth billions. And neither does Dean.

The old man (Alex) wasn't a good franchise owner either. He made his fortune - in part - by being cheap, or always looking for that deal where he could underpay for something and turn it into a solid investment. Alex initially bid on the 49ers in 1977 - submitting a bid he thought was fair - but he was out-bid by Eddie DeBartolo's dad. He never got over it - he talks about it in his autobiography. He was shocked someone would bid that much for an NFL franchise. But he really wanted to join the NFL ownership club, so when the Chargers went up for sale in 1984 he made sure he was the winning bidder. He probably died a little bit inside bidding higher than the felt the franchise was worth. But when he got the team he tried to run it on the cheap, returning to the practices on which he built his business empire. That is why the Chargers were futile for so many decades under his leadership.

As for Dean, well after he graduated from the University of the Pacific way back when, he needed something to do. Initially the old man didn't want his son in the family business. Alex didn't respect Dean - he often belittled his son in public. He wanted Dean to make his own way in life. But mom intervened and dictated to Alex he was going give Dean a role in the family business empire.

Because of the way the ownership is structured, with so many members of the Spanos family having a finger in the pie, Dean has to run the franchise like a family business, with all of the inherent commitments. We already know the about the struggle between Dean and his sister and her sons. It is not conducive to running an NFL franchise successfully. I wish Dean's sister could successfully force Dean to sell the franchise to an individual or consortium with deep pockets whose sole commitment is football.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I knew the Spanos family since before they bought the Chargers. I grew up in the region where the old man - Alex - made his fortune in construction and real estate. I have always said that without a father who made a pile of money, Dean would've had a career working at Home Depot or something like that. There's nothing wrong with being a lifer at Home Depot - I have a friend whose done very well for himself doing just that - but he doesn't have the skills to manage extreme wealth and NFL franchise worth billions. And neither does Dean.

The old man (Alex) wasn't a good franchise owner either. He made his fortune - in part - by being cheap, or always looking for that deal where he could underpay for something and turn it into a solid investment. Alex initially bid on the 49ers in 1977 - submitting a bid he thought was fair - but he was out-bid by Eddie DeBartolo's dad. He never got over it - he talks about it in his autobiography. He was shocked someone would bid that much for an NFL franchise. But he really wanted to join the NFL ownership club, so when the Chargers went up for sale in 1984 he made sure he was the winning bidder. He probably died a little bit inside bidding higher than the felt the franchise was worth. But when he got the team he tried to run it on the cheap, returning to the practices on which he built his business empire. That is why the Chargers were futile for so many decades under his leadership.

As for Dean, well after he graduated from the University of the Pacific way back when, he needed something to do. Initially the old man didn't want his son in the family business. Alex didn't respect Dean - he often belittled his son in public. He wanted Dean to make his own way in life. But mom intervened and dictated to Alex he was going give Dean a role in the family business empire.

Because of the way the ownership is structured, with so many members of the Spanos family having a finger in the pie, Dean has to run the franchise like a family business, with all of the inherent commitments. We already know the about the struggle between Dean and his sister and her sons. It is not conducive to running an NFL franchise successfully. I wish Dean's sister could successfully force Dean to sell the franchise to an individual or consortium with deep pockets whose sole commitment is football.
                Would love to have an ownership group of billionaires and ex-players who give a fuck about winning.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

thanks for the insights -- so my theory was kind of spot on

I always go back to the stadium. I get the San Diego City Council was an issue; the mayor as well but if that were Jerry Jones, he would have figured a way to get a stadium done if he TrULY wanted a stadium in SD.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

thanks for the insights -- so my theory was kind of spot on

I always go back to the stadium. I get the San Diego City Council was an issue; the mayor as well but if that were Jerry Jones, he would have figured a way to get a stadium done if he TrULY wanted a stadium in SD.
                    And they got a stadium built in Mission Valley on top of the old Murph after all that. It's not quite NFL size, but it certainly could've been. I'm still shaking my head about that. Snapdragon Stadium is expandable to 55k.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

​​​​​​
                      The last time they stood out of the way was when John Butler and AJ Smith called the shots and they built a fantastic team.

John Spanos then infiltrated the Scouting department and our drafts went down hill…. After he fucked that up, John Spanos used the Peter principle to ascend higher and replaced AJ with Telesco so he could install a plyable yes man.

Once you get that power and you own the team……you never give that up​​​​, so Chargers are stuck with this incompetent nepotism until the team is sold.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

The last time they stood out of the way was when John Butler and AJ Smith called the shots and they built a fantastic team.

John Spanos then infiltrated the Scouting department and our drafts went down hill…. After he fucked that up, John Spanos used the Peter principle to ascend higher and replaced AJ with Telesco so he could install a plyable yes man.

Once you get that power and you own the team……you never give that up​​​​, so Chargers are stuck with this incompetent nepotism until the team is sold.
                        Gutting.

Comment

• fanatic
                          Registered Chiefs Fan
                          • Dec 2021
                          • Southern California
                          • Realtor
                          • Send PM

I think the Chargers are snake bit with injury after injury. A reasonably healthy team is 5-2 maybe 6-1. Hard to win with so many top guys hurt. I hope you guys get healthy. I hope your team and my Chiefs are both healthy for the next game in about 4 weeks. I live in Ca and will be at that game. I think the Chargers will look much different then, make the play offs and maybe advance to the big game. Yes I am serious. KC has had pretty good luck the past few seasons with few season ending injuries. Chargers have not.

Comment

Working...
                          X