Until John Spanos is Gone, Nothing Will Ever Change - Locked By Fleet - John LIstened

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Floyal Rush
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2022
    • Send PM

I’m going to take a guess. Either Ross or Marty

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
      Ahh yes the good old days where losing in the playoffs was the major problem. But we made it often. Now we cant even get there.
      I understand why there's people who want to quit. Because it's stressful.

Comment

• Fleet 1
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Kauai
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I understand why there's people who want to quit. Because it's stressful.
        Quit what? The team? Ive seen some of those tweets. Never crosses my mind. I just want John and Tom out. Thats the common denominator. Combo of drafting/developing....always going Amatuer coaches. Just spinning our wheels despite throwing so much money at ingredients. Nobody has a clue how to cook on this team.

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 11.32.07 AM.png

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2022
          • Send PM

I know for years and years people have ranted about the Spanos...Heck..I have no idea. I would say its true certain teams it would seem. KC, Pittsburgh, New England...San Fran..Rams...well I guess there are quite a few....do seem to have owners that consistently put a winner on the field.

but what can you do. It seems teams are rarely sold to new owners.

If we can just hire the right coach seriously I think we have the players to compete.

Someone in the old tough school mode like Marty or Boss Ross...simple physical football. Or anyone that has made it to the Superbowl. I know some say that is not a good criteria...but why not. Its tough to get there. It takes something to do it.
          Last edited by QuiteFrankly; 10-30-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
            I know for years and years people have ranted about the Spanos...Heck..I have no idea. I would say its true certain teams it would seem. KC, Pittsburgh, New England...San Fran..Rams...well I guess there are quite a few....do seem to have owners that consistently put a winner on the field.

but what can you do. It seems teams are rarely sold to new owners.

If we can just hire the right coach seriously I think we have the players to compete.

Someone in the old tough school mode like Marty or Boss Ross...simple physical football. Or anyone that has made it to the Superbowl. I know some say that is not a good criteria...but why not. Its tough to get there. It takes something to do it.
            Thats the problem. They go cheap instead of getting a Payton or Reed who was available when we hired McCoy.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Thats the problem. They go cheap instead of getting a Payton or Reed who was available when we hired McCoy.
              Exactly.I bet these SpAnus pukes pass on Payton stick with Staley until we have another losing season next year wasting Herberts and our time and then go searching the shit pile for a new Cheap wunderkind coach.Fuck Spanos.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Windsor, U.K.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Quit what? The team? Ive seen some of those tweets. Never crosses my mind. I just want John and Tom out. Thats the common denominator. Combo of drafting/developing....always going Amatuer coaches. Just spinning our wheels despite throwing so much money at ingredients. Nobody has a clue how to cook on this team.

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 11.32.07 AM.png
                You missed one- he who shall remain nameless! As long as that half wit owns our football team, nothing will change.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

This is not true. Norv didn't make personnel decisions - AJ did. AJ started whittling away the talent from the moment Norv arrived. The first thing AJ did was get into pissing match with Donnie Edwards and let him walk, and going with Matt "Whiffhelm" in 2007. I'm not a fan of Norv particularly, but I am a fan of the facts. And the fact is the talent crumbled around Norv each season and it was AJ's doing.
                  If these are facts, then as a HC, Norv should have stepped up and got the players he wanted. But you cannot convince me Norv didn’t have any say in the players that were acquired. And you cannot convince me Norv had nothing to do with this team slowly becoming soft and unprepared. Ever since Norv, this team has become soft and uninspiring. I agree with you that AJ had a big part in it as well, but Norv was the HC and this team got worse with him as the HC.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

If these are facts, then as a HC, Norv should have stepped up and got the players he wanted. But you cannot convince me Norv didn’t have any say in the players that were acquired. And you cannot convince me Norv had nothing to do with this team slowly becoming soft and unprepared. Ever since Norv, this team has become soft and uninspiring. I agree with you that AJ had a big part in it as well, but Norv was the HC and this team got worse with him as the HC.
                    It was bad drafts, bad FA’s, and injuries.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

I've seen this criticism of Norv before. That he should've stepped in asserted himself more in player personnel decisions. But that was not his role, and that was made clear to him by Dean when he hired him. Dean had already fired two head coaches because of clashes with GMs and he made clear there was a separation of powers. And that was not Norv's personality, he was more passive. But you have to judge Norv on his ability to prepare a team for games and inspire the players given to him. He is not responsible for the decline of the personnel on the Chargers under AJ Smith. Those were all Smith decisions, and he mad some incredibly poor ones.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I've seen this criticism of Norv before. That he should've stepped in asserted himself more in player personnel decisions. But that was not his role, and that was made clear to him by Dean when he hired him. Dean had already fired two head coaches because of clashes with GMs and he made clear there was a separation of powers. And that was not Norv's personality, he was more passive. But you have to judge Norv on his ability to prepare a team for games and inspire the players given to him. He is not responsible for the decline of the personnel on the Chargers under AJ Smith. Those were all Smith decisions, and he mad some incredibly poor ones.
                        Ok, even if AJ had ALL the say in players acquired? Which I doubt, Norv had to have some say. Norv still ended up making this team extremely soft over his tenure.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

The 49ers are another example of how a good NFL franchise is managed.

If you don't know the history of the team - here is a brief synopsis. In 1977, Eddie DeBartolo outbid Alex Spanos for the 49ers. DeBartolo was a millionaire businessman from Ohio (Alex never quite got over the fact that he was out-bid by an out-of-stater), and turned the team over to his 30-year-old son, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., to run. Eddie D hired Bill Walsh as HC and Carmen Policy as GM and in the pre-salary cap era spent lavishly to build rosters that dominated the NFL in the '80s and into the mid-'90s. The 49ers won five Super Bowls, their last SB win coming against the Chargers.

In the late '90s, Eddie D got caught up in a corruption scandal involving the governor of Louisiana. The NFL suspended Eddie D for a year, and his sister, Denise York, took control of the team. Denise and her pathologist husband (John York) weren't really cut out to manage an NFL franchise, and the team foundered. They turned the team over to their 27-year-old son, Jed York, to run.

Jed hired Jim Harbaugh, who built the 49ers into a winner - they went to the Super Bowl in 2012. But Jed started meddling in football affairs, which led to Harbaugh parting ways with the team after the 2014 season. Jed proclaimed to the 49er faithful that he was going to build a winner "the right way," or something to that effect. But within two seasons the 49ers were the worst team in the league, winning just 2 games under Chip Kelley in 2016.

Jed then hired John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan to run the team, and declared he had learned his lesson and was turning the team over to actual football people.

Today, Jed nor anybody in the York family has any role in the football operations of the team. This is how the franchise executive management is structured:

There is an ownership group with Jed, his parents and three minority owners. Jed has the title of CEO.

Then there is the executive management with Lynch and Paraage Marathe. Kyle Shanahan is the head coach, and probably is the person who controls every football decision. There are no members of the York family involved with football operations.

San Francisco 49ers Front Office Roster: The official source of the latest 49ers front office and staff members and staff information

BTW, the 49ers have traded away their 2023 1st round (Trey Lance deal) and 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks (McCaffrey deal).

Comment

Working...
                          X