Chargers at 49ers Pregame Discussion (Week 10)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

How many times did Guyton get deep before he was hurt? Zero times IIRC
    Actually, 2 catches. One a 54 yarder, the catch he was hurt on. They had MW, but should have used Guyton more this season. JH and Guyton had pretty good chemistry together during previous seasons.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      I agree with Young about weapons.
      The lack of speed on offense is obvious to everyone.
      The coaching staff is not exactly new to this organization.
      They've had two off seasons to bring in speed.

Instead, they (along with Telesco) bring in Josh Palmer, Tre Mckitty and isaiah spiller.

Now, i'm not necessarily opposed to any of these players, but the gee whiz we lack speed bit isn't accidental.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        Is Tillery hurt?
        If not, this primetime game is a perfect opportunity for him to show his future team why he should get paid.
        vulnerable iOL for SF.
        Wreck a drive or 2.
        We've been waiting for Tillery for years...at least Pip seems to have finally turned the corner...before he got injured...ugh...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
          9rs prob have more stars healthy than we do. That said they have struggled to close their games and arent exactly an offensive juggernaut. I think given out massively beat up state we do what we can to move the ball which weve been effective at to have long drives. Palmer, Everette and Ek are really our best 3 which is more short game….feed the ball to Ek has shown over and over to be effective.

our D is going to miss Austin but i think can slow them still. With our normal let them score 1st possession we seem to learn how to defend pretty consistently id say.

i think we will be in this into the 4th. Probably a close one that i give us good odds at another road win.
          The run defense was bad even with Austin Johnson. And AJ was one of the best run defenders. BS is really going to have to find a way to get the defense to do better at stopping the run.

I do think the offense will have to do better. I'm confident they can.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The run defense was bad even with Austin Johnson. And AJ was one of the best run defenders. BS is really going to have to find a way to get the defense to do better at stopping the run.

I do think the offense will have to do better. I'm confident they can.
            He’d have to come out of the 2 shell

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Is Tillery hurt?
              If not, this primetime game is a perfect opportunity for him to show his future team why he should get paid.
              vulnerable iOL for SF.
              Wreck a drive or 2.
              This post aged well....
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

This post aged well....
                Well it’s a surprise. We just lost a DL for the season and now waived another. Former 1st round pick. Must have been something up

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  Steve Young goes off on the Chargers organization.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49...s-organization

Young offers brutally honest opinion on dysfunctional Chargers

Apparently dismantling the Los Angeles Chargers once in his career wasn't enough, so Steve Young did so again Wednesday night.

The former 49ers quarterback and Pro Football Hall of Famer joined KNBR 680's "Tolbert & Copes" on Wednesday evening, discussing San Francisco's upcoming matchup with Los Angeles on "Sunday Night Football" in Week 10 at Levi's Stadium.

He also explained why he believes the Chargers don't pose nearly as much of a threat as other contending AFC teams.

"The Chargers are neither fish nor fowl," Young said. "If you think about the top-echelon teams, especially in the AFC, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and the Dolphins now, they are all teams that are well-coached, innovative and are going to throw their way there. And they've got the personnel and they've got the quarterback and the coach, they've got all those things and that's why it's going to be tough. And the Chargers are not that team."

Young is all-in on Chargers Pro Bowl quarterback Justin Herbert and believes he is one of the league's elite stars at the position. However, the structure around him leaves much to be desired in Young's eyes.

"They don't have the weapons, they don't prepare that way, their offense isn't built that way, they're not a 2022 innovative offense, they're not," Young explained. "They have the guy, Justin Herbert honestly is ... I really do believe he is generational like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. He is that guy, but I don't believe he's got the help.

"He's not getting (the help) philosophically, but he's also not getting it with talent. But also, strategically, who are we? Who are the Chargers? Offensively I mean. Offensively they're ... I don't know."

Young goes on to compare the dysfunction of the Chargers to that of the Arizona Cardinals, who many believe to be of the league's most inconsistent teams.

"The Chargers show up and they're a little more like the Cardinals," Young added. "I always kind of make fun of the Kliff Kingsbury-Kyler Murray kind of wing-it offense and I feel like the Chargers are that way with less of a plan. You can tell I'm not for the Chargers and I think they're not doing a great job of taking care of a generational talent and I'm worried about that.

"I'm worried there are people there who don't understand it, don't understand what needs to happen and they're being lapped by other teams who do."

Regardless of how Young might feel about the Chargers, the 49ers certainly are taking them at face value as a 5-3 team that, albeit very injured, still has game-breaking talent on both sides of the ball in Herbert, running back Austin Ekeler and defensive stars Derwin James and Khalil Mack.

Young handled the Chargers with ease in Super Bowl XXIX almost 28 years ago, completing 24-of-36 passes for 325 yards and six touchdowns on his way to securing San Francisco's fifth championship, but today's 49ers certainly aren't taking the Chargers lightly.

Download and follow the 49ers Talk Podcast
                  That is well said..... Young is right.... we have the wrong kind of personel around our star Herbert.....and the coaching is clueless and has no idea how to best use he players we do have.....too sad

49ers are going to smartly expose every weakness we have and only reason it may not be a blowout is staley will be milkimg the clock on every series minimizing the defenes exposure to a strong runnung game....

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The coaching staff is not exactly new to this organization.
                      They've had two off seasons to bring in speed.

Instead, they (along with Telesco) bring in Josh Palmer, Tre Mckitty and isaiah spiller.

Now, i'm not necessarily opposed to any of these players, but the gee whiz we lack speed bit isn't accidental.
                      They seem to value run blocking over speed - it hasn't helped...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Do it Tito.
                        Do it now.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
                          "They don't have the weapons, they don't prepare that way, their offense isn't built that way, they're not a 2022 innovative offense, they're not," Young explained. "They have the guy, Justin Herbert honestly is ... I really do believe he is generational like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen. He is that guy, but I don't believe he's got the help.
                          ^ This. Young is right on the money. I've been bummed out by Lombo and Staley's predictable offense for the past two seasons...just very little deception, disguising of plays, variety of plays, etc. Lombo's O is mostly Ekkie up the gut for nada and our wideouts run a 5-yard stick route...the end...

Comment

Working...
                          X