Chiefs @ Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Week 11)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Sorry to tell you that the problem is not Telesco. Telesco is nothing but a front man for John Spanos. Spanos makes the ultimate decisions on coach hiring, personnel etc. He's the big boss that Telesco reports too. Of course Telesco has a voice, but nothing gets done without the big boss in agreement. Note that the draft has gone to hell ever since John Spanos took over head scouting duties, and things have gotten worse since he became head of football operations. So I don't expect anything to change. Staley has no experience as a HC and it shows both in prep and game time decisions. He is learning on the job. Problem being he doesn't learn from mistakes. He goes for it on 4th and 2 deep inside our territory in the 1st Q in a critical game to decide a playoff berth. That's not analytics it's football stupidity. Then 4th and inches near midfield with a four point lead against the best offense with an elite QB and plenty of weapons he punts. Again stupidity. If we don't make it the Chiefs score a TD and we're down 3. Note the same thing happens when we punted. But if we make it we have a chance to go up by two scores. The decision should have been obvious. Bottom line Staley is not a HC. Maybe someday he can become a good one. In the mean time we're stuck with the guy because we are not making any changes. Injuries will save him this year. Unless things change he's gone after next year.
    Then firing Telesco is immaterial and you would have no problem with it. Just get a new front man with very little say in the organization.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

First down: blatant OPI non call,
      Marquez Valdes-Scantling vs Bryce Callahan.

Third down: Holding called on Derwin, who was defending Kelce the same way he had all game, while shutting Kelce down.

It was also when the ball was going somewhere else.

Why is there no discussion of this ?

The MVS/BC play will soon be available for public consumption.
      I saw it in real time. Callahan was livid--rightfully so.

Staley mentioned this play specifically post game. Unfortunately, none of this fits TPB narrative-agenda.

I would like another shot at KC in the playoffs, with Joey.
      It's a results-driven league. You know LA Times Jeff Miller as you've interviewed him. Let him frame it: Two playoff appearances in 10 years just isn’t enough in pro sports.

Miller: I suspect ownership will hold Telesco accountable after this season. If the Chargers don’t make the playoffs, I would think there’s a good chance this team could have a new GM next year. I agree with your assessment on his top picks of late. They all seemed to be pretty obvious, including OL Zion Johnson in 2022. I don’t think Telesco is a terrible GM. He’s very responsible and does everything with the franchise’s best interest in mind. This team is in good financial shape right now because of him. But two playoff appearances in 10 years just isn’t enough in pro sports.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-11-17/nfl-readers-qa

​​​​​​​
      Tell me what I'm missing?

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Then firing Telesco is immaterial and you would have no problem with it. Just get a new front man with very little say in the organization.
        Correct. But it's not going to happen. Know why? John Spanos.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Every sports writer I've read regarding this loss to the Chiefs gives credit to the duo of Mahomes and Kelce. Calling them the best, unstoppable, and so on. But, here in TPB we like to blame the loss solely on our defense, our coach, our GM, or our owners son. Why can't we simply say they are still a bit better than we are? All the pundits say that.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
            Every sports writer I've read regarding this loss to the Chiefs gives credit to the duo of Mahomes and Kelce. Calling them the best, unstoppable, and so on. But, here in TPB we like to blame the loss solely on our defense, our coach, our GM, or our owners son. Why can't we simply say they are still a bit better than we are? All the pundits say that.
            Good point, Roo. It usually takes a few days for me to settle down after a loss and get it out of my system. We did lose to a better team, but not by much. If we see them again in the playoffs, hopefully we will have closed that small gap.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

http://chiefsdigest.com/chiefs-eleva...-assistant-gm/

That is the which-a-why I am advocating for the hiring of the executive that spotted Travis Kelce in the first place, Mike Borgonzi, as Chargers' new GM in 2023.

If you hire Borgonzi - he probably hires a first time head coach, say Mike Kafka from their time in KC together
              I am sick of first time head coaches. Sick of it

Hire somebody who has been a damn head football coach before.
              Or at least somebody with a boatload of experience like when Arians was hired, DAboll, even Mike Zimmer.

I would take a guy like Vance Joseph over Mike Kafka.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If you hire Borgonzi - he probably hires a first time head coach, say Mike Kafka from their time in KC together
                I am sick of first time head coaches. Sick of it

Hire somebody who has been a damn head football coach before.
                Or at least somebody with a boatload of experience like when Arians was hired, Daboll, even Mike Zimmer.
                The 2022 new coaching hires

Lovie Smith
                Matt Eberflus
                Doug Pedersen
                Brian Daboll
                Kevin O'Connell
                Mike McDaniel
                Nathaniel Hackett
                Dennis Allen
                Josh McDaniels
                Todd Bowles

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches-roster/mike-lafleur

I lean toward Mike LaFleur as a HC candidate #1. He would be a first time coach but I watch alot of Jets football (as I love their defense players on all three levels) and LaFleur calls a good game. His QB had a very bad day and his HC called the offensive output on Sunday as dogsh*t, but it was against a Bill Belichick defense. RB Bryce Hall (Season IR) and WR Garrett Wilson have delivered on offense, while they develop a new QB. Some may see that as a small achievement, but to turn the culture in that organization is a Herculean task. And OC Mike LaFleur is a coach that could succeed if he is matched with a sound defensive coordinator. For that, I offer DC and playcalling to Vic Fangio.

HC - Mike LaFleur
                DC - Vic Fangio
                OC - Rob Calabrese

NY Jets OC Mike LaFleur is a potential HC candidate this offseason

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-mike-lafleur-hc-candidate-offseason

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

enfraictdoevd2qchm5o.jpeg

Trivia: Who coached the Dome Patrol in New Orleans?

Answer: Vic Fangio

From 1986 to 1994, Vic Fangio was the New Orleans Saints linebackers coach. During that time, he coached the "Dome Patrol", which has been considered by some to be the greatest collection of linebackers in NFL history. NFL Network even voted them so. The group included OLBs Rickey Jackson and Pat Swilling, and ILBs Sam Mills and Vaughan Johnson. The group combined for 18 Pro Bowls, and in 1992 the entire foursome was voted to the Pro Bowl.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

A coach is hired to defeat a division opponent. Your job is to beat that opponent or you are shortly scrounging for another gig. Chicago and Detroit coaches know they've got to beat Green Bay to keep their jobs. Same thing in the AFC West, the Raiders and the Broncos could not unseat the Chiefs and they both have since cleaned house. It is simply the Chargers' turn. Two playoff appearances in 10 years just isn’t enough in pro sports.

The smart and long-suffering fans here deserve better.

Comment

• AZBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I agree, Mahomes and Kelce are outstanding, no doubt.

But in the hotly contested close game against Chiefs early this year, chipping Kelce and James covering held Kelce to 5 catches, 51 Yds, 0 TD.

Not stressing the same scheme this game was beyond stupid to me, it worked so damn well….So Staley/Hill approach to Kelce this game to give hm free releases of the line of scrimmage was beyond stupid and they are accountable.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Agreed that as is KC is the better team. However there is no excuse for poor coaching decisions. 4th and inches and you punt to KC? Not double teaming Kelce with about 1 minute left in the game. Had we done that and still lost then OK. But no I don't buy that Staley is a good HC. And he's clearly made some costly bad decisions both this year and last. By the way how are you doing these days?

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Yes they love Mahomes and Kelce and what’s not to like. Both great players. But in Bill Belichick’s football for dummies his rule #1 for the defense is take away the offense’s #1 weapon. That’s the scheme. Make someone else beat ya. That’s where we failed.

Comment

Working...
                          X