Chiefs @ Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Week 11)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

With all of this talent... maybe it's the OL coach that needs to be fired....?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

You mean every crappy organization does that.

Patriots draft Cole Strange LG from Memphis and place him at LG.
      They draft Shaq Mason, RG from Georgia Tech .....and they place him at RG.

Trey Smith played some RG at Tennessee.

Name the last Charger Oline draftee who actually was placed, starting out, at his college position:
      Fluker?
      Uh, Slater.
      And Shaq Mason played LG as a rookie.

It isn't unusual for OL to play other positions and some have played all over the OL in college which makes them desirable by more teams. Slater played every position except OC.
      Orlando Brown played RT in Baltimore. Now theres a shit organization.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Uh, Slater.

It isn't unusual for OL to play other positions and some have played all over the OL in college which makes them desirable by more teams. Slater played every position except OC.
        But that was only because he would never make it as a left tackle in the NFL...

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
          With all of this talent... maybe it's the OL coach that needs to be fired....?
          I thought Frank Smith was a decent, but not particularly great offensive line coach. Brendan Nugent is a step down from Smith.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Uh, Slater.

That's right, Slater,

Good call with Mason.
            However, Mason played LG his Sophomore season at Georgia Tech.... it wasn't a position unfamiliar to him
            Tre Jackson (another rookie) started most games that year for the Patriots at RG, the position he exclusively played in college at FSU.
            Belichick had a reason which fit in with a desire to start rookies at a position they were accustomed to in college.

New England drafted Joe Thuney the following year, who played LT in college.
            They moved Thuney to LG, not RG which is what the Chargers did with Forrest Lamp, and Mason was moved back to his RG position

Belichick gets it.

You could add Marshal Yanda to that Baltimore list, moved from Tackle to guard his rookie year.
            Baltimore had the Pro Bowler Staley at LT, so they moved Orlando Brown to RT: perfectly understandable.
            Typically, Baltimore doesn't start rookies: Linderbaum, Yanda, Staley & Orlando Brown being the exceptions.
            Faleele started one game this year at RT.

The question isn't whether teams, on occasion, move rookies to unfamiliar positions;
            its whether they do it routinely.

Here's how the Chargers handle it:

R. Slater: LT to LT
            Z. Johnson: LT to RG
            J. Salyer: LT to LG
            B. Jaimes: LT to RG
            F. Lamp: LT to RG
            D. Feeney: RG to LG
            C. Watt: LG to RG
            S. Tevi: RT to RT

Do you see a pattern with these idiots? How would you rate their Olines over the last decade?
            Turns out, they should have kept Salyer at Tackle, but they just love to tinker.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

That's right, Slater,

Good call with Mason.
              However, Mason played LG his Sophomore season at Georgia Tech.... it wasn't a position unfamiliar to him
              Tre Jackson (another rookie) started most games that year for the Patriots at RG, the position he exclusively played in college at FSU.
              Belichick had a reason which fit in with a desire to start rookies at a position they were accustomed to in college.

New England drafted Joe Thuney the following year, who played LT in college.
              They moved Thuney to LG, not RG which is what the Chargers did with Forrest Lamp, and Mason was moved back to his RG position

Belichick gets it.

You could add Marshal Yanda to that Baltimore list, moved from Tackle to guard his rookie year.
              Baltimore had the Pro Bowler Staley at LT, so they moved Orlando Brown to RT: perfectly understandable.
              Typically, Baltimore doesn't start rookies: Linderbaum, Yanda, Staley & Orlando Brown being the exceptions.
              Faleele started one game this year at RT.

The question isn't whether teams, on occasion, move rookies to unfamiliar positions;
              its whether they do it routinely.

Here's how the Chargers handle it:

R. Slater: LT to LT
              Z. Johnson: LT to RG
              J. Salyer: LT to LG
              B. Jaimes: LT to RG
              F. Lamp: LT to RG
              D. Feeney: RG to LG
              C. Watt: LG to RG
              S. Tevi: RT to RT

Do you see a pattern with these idiots? How would you rate their Olines over the last decade?
              Turns out, they should have kept Salyer at Tackle, but they just love to tinker.
              Zion was mostly exclusively a LG not a LT though he had some snaps there but not that many. You are making too much of this. It also has been very common for a LT to play OG as a rookie like some of the greats did like Jonathon Ogden.

LCB, RCB, RG, LG........ It doesn't matter. Seems only fans thinks this matters. It doesn't. You never hear players or even former players say it matters because it doesn't.

And maybe they move Zion to LG next season if Fieler is let go. Who knows but there has only been ONE OL that I've read that couldn't adapt from LT to RT and that was former USC player Sam Baker.

It really amazes me that posters think the coaches don't know what they are doing and they know better lol.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Zion was mostly exclusively a LG not a LT though he had some snaps there but not that many. You are making too much of this. It also has been very common for a LT to play OG as a rookie like some of the greats did like Jonathon Ogden.

LCB, RCB, RG, LG........ It doesn't matter. Seems only fans thinks this matters. It doesn't. You never hear players or even former players say it matters because it doesn't.

And maybe they move Zion to LG next season if Fieler is let go. Who knows but there has only been ONE OL that I've read that couldn't adapt from LT to RT and that was former USC player Sam Baker.

It really amazes me that posters think the coaches don't know what they are doing and they know better lol.
                One veteran offensive lineman memorably compared making the switch to the opposite side of the Oline with wiping your ass with your other hand.
                Does that mean anything to you, or will you just insist that coaches, who never played the position know better?

It makes a difference to vets, with all that experience to lean on.
                For a rookie, who has a lot to think about just playing their natural position, the difficulty would be amplified.
                And its not like they give rookies years to master a new position; its pretty much sink & you'll get quickly replaced.

I"m glad for Jonathon Ogden that he succeeded at OG, but using an all time great as an example of how it should be a seamless transition is inappropriate.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

One veteran offensive lineman memorably compared making the switch to the opposite side of the Oline with wiping your ass with your other hand.
                  Does that mean anything to you, or will you just insist that coaches, who never played the position know better?

It makes a difference to vets, with all that experience to lean on.
                  For a rookie, who has a lot to think about just playing their natural position, the difficulty would be amplified.
                  And its not like they give rookies years to master a new position; its pretty much sink & you'll get quickly replaced.

I"m glad for Jonathon Ogden that he succeeded at OG, but using an all time great as an example of how it should be a seamless transition is inappropriate.
                  You know coaches like Staley have offensive line coaches,....every team does. So if you don't think they don't seek advice or recommendations from them then you are lost.

And let me ask you this. Have you ever played the game let alone coached football? I mean geez. You seem to know more than they do. So I've got to assume not only were you an excellent offensive lineman. You must have been a coach too.

If not then I'm done with this conversation.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

The Chargers once again were subject to some interesting referee decisions with this Chiefs receiver subtly admitting the Bolts got screwed.

"Do what you gotta do."

Hmmmmm
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      Of course we were screwed by the refs. I have read some Chargers fans say the refs are great and we have never had a bad call go against us. But if you are a die hard then you know we have a history of it, holy roller, the 4th and 29 that gained 28 yards and a first, last Sunday night, the list goes on and on. Some fans say we should be winning by 50 every game and then we don't have to worry about the refs. But that would mean the Chargers would play their home games in Fantasy Land,Anaheim CA.

Getting hosed by the cheating refs is a par5 of life for real Chargers fans.
                      Last edited by FoutsFan; 11-26-2022, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

You know coaches like Staley have offensive line coaches,....every team does. So if you don't think they don't seek advice or recommendations from them then you are lost.

And let me ask you this. Have you ever played the game let alone coached football? I mean geez. You seem to know more than they do. So I've got to assume not only were you an excellent offensive lineman. You must have been a coach too.

If not then I'm done with this conversation.
                        i don't know what more to tell you.

I tell you that veteran guards/tackles say it is not an easy thing to do and you ignore it, talking about coaches knowing best.
                        You think the Oline coach is telling them it doesn't matter?

Maybe, just maybe, its a matter of weighing their options and
                        going with what they think is best for the team (but not the player). You think?

You were done with this conversation before it even started.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Waiting for that article where NFL Olinemen opine that it is not big deal.

Retired NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz answers your questions, including which losing teams from 2018 have the best shot at the playoffs in 2019.

What is the most difficult position switch for an offensive lineman to make on the O-line that the majority of people think is easy? (ex: OT to OG or LT to RT etc) @pmeredith77

I (Geoff Schwartz) get asked this question more than any other. The majority of people believe switching positions is easy because they’ve never done it before. Moving from side to side is easy for some, but most often, it takes a while to adjust. In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is “like wiping your ass with the other hand.”

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

According to social media, switching from tackle to guard is the “easy” solution for a tackle who’s struggling. Not so fast my friend. If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover.

So in short, moving a struggling OT to OG isn’t easy, and it’s rarely the solution.

Not every transition in the NFL is easy. While some may think switching sides on the offensive line is as easy as the snap of the finger, it just may be the hardest transition in the entire sport. When an offensive lineman, specifically a tackle, switches sides, their entire body movements are flipped on its […]

Not every transition in the NFL is easy. While some may think switching sides on the offensive line is as easy as the snap of the finger, it just may be the hardest transition in the entire sport. When an offensive lineman, specifically a tackle, switches sides, their entire body movements are flipped on its head. That means learning new motor functions, a new post foot, how to use a different inside hand, and more.

Thus, when Dan Moore Jr. flipped over to right tackle in order to become a swing tackle for the Steelers, it was always going to be a struggle for a guy who has predominantly played left tackle. To his credit, Moore has still looked quite good at right tackle, even after he admits that he is far from comfortable playing on the new side.

Ever wondered why that dynamic right tackle can't seem to make the switch to the blindside? Sam Monson speaks with some leading NFL linemen to find out how hard it is to switch sides.

Comment

Working...
                          X