Dolphins @ Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 14)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I remember Bill Walsh savaging Ryan Leaf for his poor footwork coming out of Washington State.
    He had some things he needed to correct, and waited too long to do it.
    meh footwork is overrated. look at Mahomes and ARod. ARod has some terrible footwork and mechanics but he is deadly accurate.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

meh footwork is overrated. look at Mahomes and ARod. ARod has some terrible footwork and mechanics but he is deadly accurate.
      Not really. Depends on the offense. No surprise Bill Walsh emphasized it since his offense was all timing and rhythm and precision. Norv Turner offenses need the same thing. Also McVay. Guys like Mahomes do best when the plays break down and they can use their superior arm strength and physical talent to make plays.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Per Greg Cosell, footwork is the key to accuracy.

Mahomes is an outlier.

Tua has a problem.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Mahomes is an outlier.

Tua has a problem.
          Proper technique in all aspects is important to be a consistently elite athlete in the presence of other elite professionals. this shit is hard enough and just a very few 5% mistakes at QB can ruin 95% of perfect plays.

its heresy to say footwork doesn’t matter. Tia’s problem is not just footwork inconsistency but also a lack of a Pro-level arm. That was my opinion pre-draft, it looks apparent I was correct. he’s got two phenomenal WRs that will hide this a lot of the time if he gets enough protection to have time and place it. But you won’t see a cross-field 20 yard bullet to the deep flat into a 6” window between two DBs a yard away or less like we saw Herbie sling to Slayer.

that will be their separation and difference for the next 10+ years. Overall teams still matter more than even one QB, Tua can still have great success and be above average. Never top shelf imo.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Agreed dmac.
            Pocket courage is an issue here.
            What was Acho thinking ?
            :biggrin:
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Eurobolt
              *** Jim Harbaugh ***
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

The Atletic has just released complex analysis of Dophins Chargers game, good stuff.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Agreed dmac.
                Pocket courage is an issue here.
                What was Acho thinking ?
                :biggrin:
                Good Luck Charlie Idk GIF
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2022
                  • Send PM

Footwork is critical for Herbert. jubei great call on how Patty and A-Aron are unique in using baseball type kinesthetics bein able to accurately throw with power no matter their stance.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Mahomes is an outlier.

Tua has a problem.
                    I can tell you from my days, if a pass was off I could tell you where my footwork failed just by where I missed the pass.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Was there some astute analysis I might have missed perusing that thread? It reads like our Game Day threads... "Defense sucks, always out of position", "McDaniel failed us", "F**ck these bums, we suck, fire everyone", "I'm frustrated with this team", "WHAT IN THE **** IS (insert name here) DOING", "real linebackers next year please", "(insert name here) was held there", "This entire coaching staff and team can kiss my ass!", etc.

:rofl::dead:
                      It is exactly the same in every team's game threads on every forum.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Proper technique in all aspects is important to be a consistently elite athlete in the presence of other elite professionals. this shit is hard enough and just a very few 5% mistakes at QB can ruin 95% of perfect plays.

its heresy to say footwork doesn’t matter. Tia’s problem is not just footwork inconsistency but also a lack of a Pro-level arm. That was my opinion pre-draft, it looks apparent I was correct. he’s got two phenomenal WRs that will hide this a lot of the time if he gets enough protection to have time and place it. But you won’t see a cross-field 20 yard bullet to the deep flat into a 6” window between two DBs a yard away or less like we saw Herbie sling to Slayer.

that will be their separation and difference for the next 10+ years. Overall teams still matter more than even one QB, Tua can still have great success and be above average. Never top shelf imo.
                        I watched the highlight footage of the five consecutive games the 'Fins won after Tua returned from his concussion.

Almost every completion that was downfield I saw was inside the numbers. There were a few deep throws outside the numbers, and he did have a few completions, but DBs were able to make a play on those throws more often (which is why they were in the highlights).

Besides not having the arm strength to reach the deep sidelines, Tua just seems less accurate throwing at that angle. He lives in the middle of the field. Staley's defensive game plan capitalized on that.

On the deep shot Sun nite to Hill down the sideline, if Davis had not fallen, he had position on that ball. The throw didn't have much velocity; Hill had to slow down slightly to get it.

With a QB like Herbert, you have to defend every blade of grass on the field. Herb's bomb to Mike Will on the drive after the Hill TD is indicative of that.

'Fins All Pro CB Xavien Howard let Mike Will get behind him because Herb had taken a deep drop to the opposite side of the field and Howard didn't think Herb would even attempt that throw. Howard found out the hard way that Herb is both willing and capable on throws almost no other QB in the league can make. Certainly not his QB.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

all this talk of footwork...I was just kidding lol. I know it has a great deal of impact on accuracy and velocity. that's what makes Mahomes and ARod so special. But it is the same issue sometimes with Herbert...his footwork goes and then the ball sails. but damn it if I couldnt throw that football over dem mountains when I was young...!

Comment

Working...
                          X