Dolphins @ Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 14)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

The PFF recap certainly doesn't line up with the grades.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

There is no chance a D is worse with the best safety in the league playing. IMO, McDaniel just got badly out-coached and had no answers to what we were doing. There is nothing Gilman can do that James wouldn't do far better
      Not suggesting that, just wondering if it was a true coincidence.
      Jamrock above mentions a potential "bystander effect" dynamic.
      maybe Staley over complicates everyone's role in an effort to "support" James and his role as the leader. It's plausible, and we shouldn't be too defensive to not consider.

Are we sure James' communication skills are elite?
      physically unmatched, but is he able to lead as well as we assume?
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
        Let's do this!
        • Aug 2022
        • Raleigh N. Carolina
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        The PFF recap certainly doesn't line up with the grades.
        Right!

Herbert was under pressure on at least 90% of his drop backs...

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Not suggesting that, just wondering if it was a true coincidence.
            Jamrock above mentions a potential "bystander effect" dynamic.
            maybe Staley over complicates everyone's role in an effort to "support" James and his role as the leader. It's plausible, and we shouldn't be too defensive to not consider.

Are we sure James' communication skills are elite?
            physically unmatched, but is he able to lead as well as we assume?
            There's no question the Chargers' defense played its best game of the year with its best player on the sidelines. I don't take that to mean James is overrated. But Staley had to come up with a defensive game plan to compensate for the fact that so many new players were on the field. And it worked. It worked so well, by Staley's own admission it was the best execution of a defensive game plan this season.

This is one of the best articles I've seen written about the Chargers this season: https://www.si.com/nfl/chargers/news...ck-nfl-week-14

"When you’re playing with as many new guys in a game plan, the last thing that you want to do is jerk them around, when you’re playing with as many backups as we were on both levels," Staley said. "What you don’t want is a bunch of in-and-out of the game. We’re used to doing that when we’re at full strength. We’re used to doing it because we built our front lines to be able to play that way. That’s kind of a hallmark of the way we play.

"But when you get cleaned out, what you really want to do is take an approach where you feel like you can get consistency from the group out there so that they can play fast. Then, have enough disguise, have enough variation within that grouping of what you’re playing — blitzes, coverages, all that — so that they can get in a comfort zone."
            Staley said it was the most connected he felt the team has played this season, stemming from a superior game plan in which the players came together and produced the way it was drawn up throughout the week.
            Hopefully Staley will take what worked in last night's game plan, learn from it, and instill it in defensive game plans going forward.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
              OH BOY

The rollouts and crossing routes!

The defense smothering.

THE CONVINCING WIN WE ALL WANTED
              So this is the explanation for the lack of rollouts last week.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Five pressures? It seemed like 30.

I can't wait until the Chargers get Slater and Pipkins back.

Does Zion seem like he's been regressing recently? He was so stout early on, but recently he's been beaten easily fairly often.
                Rookies are going to be inconsistent. Slater is just special.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Staley purposely avoided mentioning Jay Rodgers (unless I missed it) while giving credit to Renaldo Hill in his post-game presser to troll me, but we did see adjustment to scheme today akin to somewhat how the 49ers played their scheme against us, and Fehoko and Dline performed admirably today -- credit to Jay Rodgers. Wilhoite had his linebacker unit play well too. Keep on trolling, Brandon.
                  Have you considered that Staley’s scheme is just very effective against a Shannahan type offense?

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

IMO His reaction wasn't that of someone who just stopped playing, he clearly was angry because he thought he saw a Dolphin player with the ball. But point stands, you gotta keep working until the whistle blows, I think that habit comes with more experience.
                    overall I'm high on Alohi for consistently providing key plays however under appreciated by fans. He wasn't even Staleys guy and gives max effort, well outside of that one play.
                    Technically the dolphin player is down by contact.

Also technically, every Charger defender needs to know where Hill is at all times. At all times.

Lastly technically, Every Charger defender needs to be physical on Hill whenever legally possible = put hands on him until the whistle sounds.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Watch Drue on this defensive play call. The Chargers excelled at taking away the deep crosses last night. I know that was the best game our LB group of Drue, K9, and Kyle Van Noy played this season.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                        Sean Payton says Staley took advantage of Tua's reluctance to throw outside the numbers (because they're longer throws and require more arm strength) and flooded the middle of the field (Murray/Tranquil) where Tua has feasted this season, taking it away. That is a blueprint other teams are going to use against Tua going forward, he says. In multiple analyses I've watched today, it is noted that against SF the prior week Tua had guys open but failed to find them. Contrast to last night when nobody was open against the Chargers' D.

Payton saying he thinks Chargers should run it better
                        LOL.
                        Be careful what you wish for TPB.
                        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Watch Drue on this defensive play call. The Chargers excelled at taking away the deep crosses last night. I know that was the best game our LB group of Drue, K9, and Kyle Van Noy played this season.
                          This is precisely what I've been reading all day. That Staley knew Tua avoids throwing outside the numbers because he doesn't have the arm strength. So he clogged the middle of the field, because he knew that is where every play was designed to go. Defenses opposing Tua don't have to defend the entire field and Staley was the first to fully figure that out. Sean Payton said it's a blueprint other teams facing the Tua will copy, until Tua proves he can beat it.

Comment

Working...
                          X