Dolphins @ Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 14)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

On the Radio broadcast, you could definitely hear the Dolphin fans, especially when the Bolts were 3rd and long. I didn't think the Bolt fans reciprocated though.
    Dolphin fans turned out and were pretty loud when they actually had things to be loud about. It was pretty even I’d say and the atmosphere was raucous. A good time was had by all Charger fans

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

"Playing hard" was the emphasis and something Staley was desperately trying to reinforce after the game.
      IDK if it was Staley that got the team to play with that energy, but that's what's needed every week to make up for our roster/depth deficiencies.
      whatever it is, hope Staley found the magic buttons to push.
      I wonder if it has anything to do with James sitting on the sideline.
      I wondered whether the defense relies so much on Derwin that they just expect him to make a play instead of stepping g up and doing it themselves.

in any case defense was only on the field 20 minutes, vs 40 minutes for Miami’s defense, so they had plenty of rest. Chargers O had several very long drives

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post

Because they had little to cheer for ... except 2 plays

The seats, the bathrooms, the concourse, the exits, the parking lot close to 50/50

Thankfully we had the lead wire to wire to keep them quiet

I saw them play us at StubHub and it was like 50/50 there then as well.
        Rams games are the same. I think its a near-term fact for both LA Teams that a rabid fan base does not exist in LA vs the $$$ a ticket holder can get for the one-off games from lunatic out of town guests. Throw in the relatively large percent of season tickets bought by resellers who will never go to a game, and thats how it’s gonna be unless one of the teams really captivates the city. Rams didnt do it even with a SB win, its not an easy town to win over. Everyone is from somewhere else.

It was worse at the soccer stadium with only 25k seats available. Thats where we’d see 15k+ visitors on any weekend/65% plus.

I still get shocked replies when I tell people I am born and raised native San Diegan. “You are, wow, cool - what was it like”. Lol
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

IMO His reaction wasn't that of someone who just stopped playing, he clearly was angry because he thought he saw a Dolphin player with the ball. But point stands, you gotta keep working until the whistle blows, I think that habit comes with more experience.
          overall I'm high on Alohi for consistently providing key plays however under appreciated by fans. He wasn't even Staleys guy and gives max effort, well outside of that one play.
          Yeah, he's definitely shown more than Adderley. Hopefully the kid keeps learning.
          Now he's just a guy but he has made a few positive plays. Continued improvement and he can be an every down, every week guy.
          I'm routing for him.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I wondered whether the defense relies so much on Derwin that they just expect him to make a play instead of stepping g up and doing it themselves.

in any case defense was only on the field 20 minutes, vs 40 minutes for Miami’s defense, so they had plenty of rest. Chargers O had several very long drives
            Those numbers are just what we need!
            More of the same the rest of the year and we're going places.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with James sitting on the sideline.
              There is no chance a D is worse with the best safety in the league playing. IMO, McDaniel just got badly out-coached and had no answers to what we were doing. There is nothing Gilman can do that James wouldn't do far better

Comment

• SBbound
                Casual fanatic
                • Feb 2019
                • Merced/San Diego
                • Send PM

Another positive from last night is that special teams was very, very close to blocking several punts. It'll happen soon.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Sean Payton says Staley took advantage of Tua's reluctance to throw outside the numbers (because they're longer throws and require more arm strength) and flooded the middle of the field (Murray/Tranquil) where Tua has feasted this season, taking it away. That is a blueprint other teams are going to use against Tua going forward, he says. In multiple analyses I've watched today, it is noted that against SF the prior week Tua had guys open but failed to find them. Contrast to last night when nobody was open against the Chargers' D.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                    Let's do this!
                    • Aug 2022
                    • Raleigh N. Carolina
                    • Send PM

Hey what was up with that phantom delay of game penalty at the start of Q3?

Did anyone address that?

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                      Let's do this!
                      • Aug 2022
                      • Raleigh N. Carolina
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SBbound View Post
                      Another positive from last night is that special teams was very, very close to blocking several punts. It'll happen soon.
                      I'd like to see Scott get more distance, he's been the weak link on STs

And it's time to sign Dicker long term!!!

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Chargers’ best and worst PFF grades vs. the Dolphins

The Bolts defense highlights this week’s grades, including a former first-round pick.
                        By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks Dec 12, 2022, 10:55am PST 11 Comments / 11 New

Share this story

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
                        The Chargers put together one of their best and most-complete efforts against the Dolphins on Sunday night and it led them to a huge 23-17 win in primetime. I use the word “huge” not as to describe the point differential, but to convey just how pivotal this win could end up being when it comes to buffing their chances at making the postseason.
                        In this week’s recap of the team’s best and worst performers according to Pro Football Focus, the list is littered with the names you’d expect after what we all saw in last night’s contest. While I believe there’s plenty nit-pick here ( Justin Herbert’s grade), there’s also some results that will surely make your eyes pop (Kenneth Murray’s grade).
                        So let’s go ahead and dive on in. Here are this week’s best and worst-graded players from the Chargers’ week 14 matchup against Miami.
                        Offense

(Min. 25 snaps)

Top-5
                        WR Mike Williams - 79.9
                        WR Keenan Allen - 75.4
                        QB Justin Herbert - 65.1
                        RB Joshua Kelley - 63.3
                        OT Jamaree Salyer - 62.5
                        Worst-5
                        OG Matt Feiler - 40.1
                        OT Foster Sarell - 43.2
                        C Corey Linsley - 50.8
                        TE Tre’ McKitty - 51.9
                        OG Zion Johnson - 60.9
                        Defense

(Min. 25 snaps)

Top-5
                        LB Kenneth Murray - 88.6
                        S Alohi Gilman - 87.8
                        CB Asante Samuel Jr. - 82.4
                        LB Drue Tranquill - 81.6
                        CB Michael Davis - 75.7
                        Worst-5
                        S Nasir Adderley - 40.6
                        DT Breiden Fehoko - 44.3
                        EDGE Chris Rumph II - 52.6
                        EDGE Kyle Van Noy - 57.3
                        EDGE Khalil Mack - 63.4

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

NFL Week 14 Game Recap: Los Angeles Chargers 23, Miami Dolphins 17

Inglewood, California, USA; Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert (10) throws against the Miami Dolphins during the first half at SoFi Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

By Anthony Treash
                          Dec 12, 2022
                          Los Angeles Chargers Miami Dolphins
                          The Los Angeles Chargers badly needed a win against the Miami Dolphins to stabilize their playoff odds, and they came up with the goods in a thrilling 23-17 victory on Sunday Night Football.

Offensive Spotlight: It was the Justin Herbert show in SoFi Stadium. He was as composed as can be, withstanding consistent pressure, hitting the quick underneath concepts accurately and coming up with a big throw when needed. Herbert completed 13-of-20 passes under pressure for 185 yards, and he didn’t record a single turnover-worthy play for the game.
                          Defensive Spotlight: Every linebacker and defensive back — along with the coaching staff — for the Chargers should get a game ball in this one. They disrupted the explosive Miami wide receivers in press coverage and eliminated the middle of the field in the intermediate and deep levels. Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa completed just two passes over 10 yards downfield inside the numbers. For reference, he had been completing seven such passes per game since returning from injury in Week 7.
                          Rookie Spotlight: Chargers sixth-round rookie Ja’Sir Taylor logged his first career start for the injured Bryce Callahan and held his own. He allowed 31 yards in coverage and recorded a run stop.
                          First-round rookie Zion Johnson was clean in pass protection, with one pressure allowed, and he made a few big blocks out in space. He led all offensive linemen in positively graded blocks on Sunday Night.
                          Offensive Line Spotlight: The interior offensive line for the Chargers held strong throughout the game. Matt Feiler, Corey Linsley and Zion Johnson combined for just three pressures allowed on 56 total pass-blocking snaps, none of which were a sack or a hit.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X