• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

amen. i did not want to install the direct TV dish.

Comment

• cmplxgal
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • New Jersey
      • Send PM

Thanks jaguarmanftype and captaind for answering my question. YouTube TV seems like a real alternative to cable, which has gotten so expensive. We have cut back our package to try to keep the cost down. I am definitely going to look into it.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I ditched cable and signed up for YouTubeTV when it was very first released. I have had a very good experience with it as far as reliability and streaming quality. The one thing I really do not like is that they are slowly adding a bunch of channels I will never watch and raising the rates to cover their costs. $65 is still less than I paid years ago for cable but I hate paying for stuff I'll never watch. I had hoped that someone would come out with a true a la cart option for cord cutters but it really never happened.
        The a la cart option isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Most of the content providers force their respective bundles upon service providers in order to increase licensing rates, particularly those like A&E Networks under Disney who own A&E and History Channel, and Viacom. That's majority of the reason why some of that content isn't on YT TV -- because they refuse to provide individual licensing rights for say, History Channel, a la cart without stuffing 10+ channels into the licensing contract that no one watches, for the most part.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
          Thanks jaguarmanftype and captaind for answering my question. YouTube TV seems like a real alternative to cable, which has gotten so expensive. We have cut back our package to try to keep the cost down. I am definitely going to look into it.
          I think you'll like it. The streaming quality is top-notch, and you can even add 4K channels for additional cost for certain locals that stream NFL games in that resolution. I have Sony BRAVIA XR and Hisense TVs in the house that already come with Google TV as the smart interface operating system, so YT TV is already built-in to the interface on the TV and I can see live TV recommendations and the live TV guide all without going into the YT TV app for the most part. If you don't have one of those TVs, you can buy a Google TV with Chromecast dongle, or use Roku or Fire TV dongles/boxes if you already have those.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

I don’t think the industry structure will ever allow for it. The only way to save $ is to cancel it when you’re not using it.

I am concerned we’ll lose that with the NFL Sunday Ticket, though.
            Probably wishful thinking. I really just watch the 4 networks, ESPN and CBS Sports.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

IPTV is the way to go. You get everything and its way cheaper than YT TV and obviously cable. I use an antenna for local channels and i can watch any Citys channels if i want to and i do sometimes. I watch the Padres on Bally's SD, watched the Chargers on LA's CBS last week, and watch SNL on NY NBC channel at 8:30 for examples.

My internet is the costly thing (everybody needs internet to run these things)and i have Cox Panarama which is like $106 a month and the IPTV streaming service is only $15. I pay for 6 months at a time to bring it down to 15. Its actually $14.83 ($89 for 6 months)

Need the Panarama internet as we have like 12 things connected at a time usually including phones, tablets, PC , TVs and Fireboxes and can be more at times if the game console is being used and all the TVs are connected at once. We have 4 TVs.....3 used regularly that are smart TVs.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Probably wishful thinking. I really just watch the 4 networks, ESPN and CBS Sports.
                Fox Sports is really good too.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  IPTV is the way to go. You get everything and its way cheaper than YT TV and obviously cable. I use an antenna for local channels and i can watch any Citys channels if i want to and i do sometimes. I watch the Padres on Bally's SD, watched the Chargers on LA's CBS last week, and watch SNL on NY NBC channel at 8:30 for examples.

My internet is the costly thing (everybody needs internet to run these things)and i have Cox Panarama which is like $106 a month and the streaming service is only $15. I pay for 6 months at a time to bring it down to 15. Its actually $14.83 ($89 for 6 months)

Need the Panarama internet as we have like 12 things connected at a time usually including phones, tablets, PC , TVs and Fireboxes and can be more at times if the game console is being used and all the TVs are connected at once. We have 4 TVs.....3 used regularly that are smart TVs.
                  It's a matter of convenience for me. I live in inland-coastal SD, so to capture any local channels would require an amplified rooftop antenna and that still doesn't guarantee signal. I used to use Sling TV as the cheaper alternative with Locast as my locals provider several years ago for a time, but that option is long gone now. Funny thing with Sling TV that added value for me with that Locast option was I could use a VPN and get locals in any market even if Sling TV didn't carry the rights to air them.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

My brother set me up to watch Ravens games in Baltimore. I use a VPN to log into his router, then Ihave full access to his cable subscription.

I need to figure this out for my house so I can watch the Bolts when I’m traveling.

I love my TIVO so I’m not getting rid of cable until it’s dead. I have my own slo mo replays every game. And I love to go back and see who missed the block or how the blitz worked or how the receiver got open. Football is so much more interesting when you look at the details.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

It's a matter of convenience for me. I live in inland-coastal SD, so to capture any local channels would require an amplified rooftop antenna and that still doesn't guarantee signal. I used to use Sling TV as the cheaper alternative with Locast as my locals provider several years ago for a time, but that option is long gone now. Funny thing with Sling TV that added value for me with that Locast option was I could use a VPN and get locals in any market even if Sling TV didn't carry the rights to air them.
                      The antenna doesnt work great on all the TVs. One of the bedrooms i have to stream as the local channels arent good in that room with the antenna. Its just using the antenna keeps from using streaming data which Cox allows 1280 GB a month. You can get unlimited but its costs more. We've never come that close to using it all up. We used 683 GB last month and once 750GB....and that includes using phone/tablet, PC wifi data as well.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        My brother set me up to watch Ravens games in Baltimore. I use a VPN to log into his router, then Ihave full access to his cable subscription.

I need to figure this out for my house so I can watch the Bolts when I’m traveling.

I love my TIVO so I’m not getting rid of cable until it’s dead. I have my own slo mo replays every game. And I love to go back and see who missed the block or how the blitz worked or how the receiver got open. Football is so much more interesting when you look at the details.
                        The slow-mo option is one feature I miss on the YT TV app. Only streaming through tv.youtube.com on a desktop PC allows for that option. But I do like the "Key Plays" feature that allows me to catch up on the game or just view a condensed version of it with the most impactful plays.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                          The slow-mo option is one feature I miss on the YT TV app. Only streaming through tv.youtube.com on a desktop PC allows for that option. But I do like the "Key Plays" feature that allows me to catch up on the game or just view a condensed version of it with the most impactful plays.

That's a question I had. Does YouTube TV have DVR-like options like pause, reverse, and forward, so you can pause the game and go back and re-watch a play? Or is it like streaming a game on your computer from one of the "free" streaming sites, where all you can do is sit there and watch the game play through?

Comment

Working...
                          X