Chargers @ Broncos Pregame Discussion Thread (Wk 18)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

overall roster or WR group in particular (maybe RB too)? Our DBs have good speed. K9 has speed for LB. Parham is fast for a TE. There are examples of speed in the roster, curious what groups besides WR you are thinking about.

I hope watching this year’s WR group, then watching other teams, a lightbulb turns on bright. Future HOF QB is missing a speed talent that many many teams have. Gotta put that bullet in the sheriff’s gun, its the Wild West out there.
    Speed at the WR position more than anything. You are correct about DB, LB and even TE. But when I think of speed - its WR. I think the Chargers are good at RB

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...if the Bolts play a great game in the playoffs, but barely lose, I think Staley is back. If we lose and Lombo dials up the same stale routes as earlier this season to midway, he should be gone. If Lombo calls a great game but we barely lose, he probably barely stays. If we win and move on, so much the better and we don't have to think of these scenarios...
      I think Staley is back no matter what

Lombo - to me - should be on the hot seat and i think your scenarios are pretty solid. Herbert needs somebody to take his game to a new level

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Telesco on his own was a mixed bag. He has hit on most of his 1st round picks the past 7 drafts, the notable exception being 2019/Tillery. But Bosa, Williams, James, Herbert, Slater and Zion. Even Murray is looking like a solid pick, even if he was over-drafted. When 7 of the 8 picks you drafted in the first round over 7 years are starters for you on a playoff team, and four of them are Pro Bowlers and one is an All Pro, and one is rewriting the record books for QBs on his rookie deal, that is an achievement. I defy you to find one other GM who as drafted as well in the first round as Telesco has over the past seven drafts. You won't be able to.

But after the first round, Telesco's draft record drops off. He hit on Samuel last season and a couple of his Notre Dame guys are decent, one (Tranq) is a starter. And he did sign Austin Ekeler as a UDFA. But for the most part his 2nd and 3rd day picks have been under-whelming. However, I believe he and Staley work well as a team. I'm making an assumption that Staley is HEAVILY involved with player acquisition - FA and the draft, and I attribute the successes of the past few drafts to Staley. For example, I believe Telesco drafted Palmer in the third round last season on Staley's recommendation, based on what Staley (or Lombardi) observed at the Senior Bowl.

I see this as Staley's franchise now, and that Telesco is going to take a somewhat subordinate role. I think it was Telesco who fell in love with Staley when Brandon was DC of the Rams and he is content to let Staley play an out-sized role compared to McCoy or Lynn. I see the relationship between Staley and Telesco similar to the relationship between Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch up the coast. Shanahan runs that show. So my position is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

We'll see how well the team performs in the playoffs. But right now this franchise has a core of really good players with some outstanding youth, and Staley has proven himself as a coach. IMO it makes no sense to even think about replacing Telesco, because Staley is really the driver. Staley/Telesco seem to have a great working relationship and it's working well for the team. Why bring in a new GM who would potentially clash with Staley? Again, let's not fix it if it's not broke. Let's see what this team does in the post season.
        TT & Staley are better than TT & a stump in the draft.
        I believe TT still holds the reins and allows Staley a lot of directional slack. Staley is TT's guy, why wouldn't he support the man he chose?
        So far, so good. The 2022 Chargers are a very good roster

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...if the Bolts play a great game in the playoffs, but barely lose, I think Staley is back. If we lose and Lombo dials up the same stale routes as earlier this season to midway, he should be gone. If Lombo calls a great game but we barely lose, he probably barely stays. If we win and move on, so much the better and we don't have to think of these scenarios...
          I am pretty sure Staley is back period.
          Lombo I don't know.

If they lose in Jacksonville, and the offense sputters most of the day,
          pretty sure that Lombo is gone.
          If Staley doesn't want to fire Lombo, the organization will ask him to do it.

If they lose decisively, pretty sure Staley still sticks around, but with his right & left gonads cut off by the organization.
          Typically, that means the beginning of the end for a head coach.

My expectations would be pretty minimal if that were the case.

The playoff game in Jacksonville (or Cincy?) may well determine the Chargers future.

What happens to Telesco, who knows?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

TT & Staley are better than TT & a stump in the draft.
            I believe TT still holds the reins and allows Staley a lot of directional slack. Staley is TT's guy, why wouldn't he support the man he chose?
            So far, so good. The 2022 Chargers are a very good roster
            Wait 3 years to begin evaluating the Staley/Telesco drafts.
            Most Telesco drafts look solid/good after one or two years.

The James, Nwosu, Jones, White, ..... went from good to tremendous only this year (go figure).

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

This years draft results look good, so far.

However, if some players don't progress, it suddenly turns average at best:

Salyer might be nothing more than an excellent reserve;
              Woods might be a bust because he can't tackle;
              Spiller might be nothing more than a rotational back,
              same with Otito - rotational DT.

Last years draft now appears to be mostly (or all) misses after Palmer.
              Hopefully Rumph can be a solid 3rd edge rusher.

Slater/Samuel Jr. are keepers; Palmer is still a question mark as to his ceiling - maybe just a solid 3rd receiver.

Two solid starters from the draft use to be a solid draft,

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Speed at the WR position more than anything. You are correct about DB, LB and even TE. But when I think of speed - its WR. I think the Chargers are good at RB
                Cool, thats pretty much my thoughts too. My priority this off season is to get Herbie that weapon and sign Pipkins. All the rest cool go do it, those are the two moves I want most (that is until you tell me who I’m losing to FA lol).

RB I see the better team value from a beastly A-Gap mauler for short yard and goal line situations, vs finding a back faster than the ones we have. our backs are not overly fast, but its not that unusual for RBs to be 4.5 or 4.6, not 4.4. More important is burst acceleration, change of direction speed, and power than just straight line speed. Of course, theres nothing wrong with more speed too
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Let's think big! I'm hoping that Car leaves the Raiders and Mr. Devante Adams demands a trade to the Chargers, Cali dreaming is alive and real!: )

Comment

• ThatSinkingFeeling
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Staley stays period. No reason to change but Lombardo is a big question mark going forward. I would like to a new face come in unless he digs out something marvellous for the playoffs.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I am pretty sure Staley is back period.
                      Lombo I don't know.

If they lose in Jacksonville, and the offense sputters most of the day,
                      pretty sure that Lombo is gone.
                      If Staley doesn't want to fire Lombo, the organization will ask him to do it.

If they lose decisively, pretty sure Staley still sticks around, but with his right & left gonads cut off by the organization.
                      Typically, that means the beginning of the end for a head coach.

My expectations would be pretty minimal if that were the case.

The playoff game in Jacksonville (or Cincy?) may well determine the Chargers future.

What happens to Telesco, who knows?
                      As a matter of FACT, you do realize this exact scenario played out with Coach Bobby Ross. He was asked to replace his OC and refused and was Fired! I got this straight from Bobby Beathard on a phone call with him.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

The James, Nwosu, Jones, White, ..... went from good to tremendous only this year (go figure).
                        Evaluate today's roster, coaching, GM as a unit. How are they doing?
                        I like where we are today personally.
                        Break down components post season. The coming off season, FA & draft will be TT/Staley's 3rd.
                        I look forward to evaluating them a year & change from now.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

And Tranq went from mediocre to pretty good...Pip went from a bust of a project to a serviceable OT...

Comment

Working...
                          X