• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    I still think the Broncos are 3 or 4 until proven otherwise. I don’t think he can turn Russ around. And his defensive coordinator choice will be key.
    Payton should keep Evero - he did a solid job.

Like I said earlier, not that Staley would do it - but if Evero were a FA - he would be a slam dunk hire as a DC that calls the defense.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Wondering if the board would have preferred Payton Lombardi to Staley Moore... Someone should do a pole.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• SK21209
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2020
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post
        8-8 when it matters, the playoffs. You don't win in the regular season.

His Super Bowl season was under one the years he was intentionally paying bonuses to injure players.

Mike Tomlin is 8-9 in the playoffs, is he overrated too? How about Tony Dungy at 9-10? Reid is 21-16 but was only 11-13 before he got Mahomes, is he overrated? If you're judging coaches solely by having a great playoff record then Belichick is the only good coach in the league. If you've watched any Saints football over the last 5 or 6 years its obvious Payton is a great coach. He squeezed every bit he could get out of a washed up Brees. They might have won it all in 2018 if not for that no call against the Rams and they probably should have beaten the Buccs in 2020 if Jared Cook doesn't fumble as they're about to go up two touchdowns in the 3rd quarter. I also don't see how the bounty thing is relevant at all.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

A tad premature for writing the Chargers off.

I would like to see off-season moves and draft by the Chargers first and wouldn’t be surprised if Kellen Moore improves offense like the ST improved with a new coach.

Talent wise, the Chargers are pretty close. It was mainly injuries and a lousy OC that tanked them this past season so some added key talent upgrades could have a big impact.

If Staley doesn’t make it to playoffs, it should be his last season with the Chargers and likely could be.
          Some posters here are just fans of other teams or just whiners. Every move is wrong if its not their move, but the truth is if the Chargers were ran based these fans emotional roller coaster the coaching staff and front office would be turned over 2-3 times a season.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Bring it.

I wonder if he'll hire Lombardi as OC.

Lots of anxious Charger fans; feel free to abandon ship now.
            white flags will be distributed by mail.
            me, I'll BOLTtheFUCKUP.

P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
              Wondering if the board would have preferred Payton Lombardi to Staley Moore... Someone should do a pole.
              who's gonna get the chicks?

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

George Paton is better than Telesco. I like the Kellen Moore coordinator move by management as it establishes play-action as the identity of the Los Angeles Chargers. But this move by the Broncos is bigger, as it's the biggest hire in the AFC West since Andy Reid came to town.

1. Chiefs 2. Broncos

This move has left LA and LV scrambling for third. I am betting on Josh McDaniels because McDaniels knows if he loses, he's gone. Staley + Telesco are not under equal pressure to perform.
                You know better than to crown someone prematurely.
                They have to actually make the playoffs with 2023 Wilson.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

A tad premature for writing the Chargers off.

I would like to see off-season moves and draft by the Chargers first and wouldn’t be surprised if Kellen Moore improves offense like the ST improved with a new coach.

Talent wise, the Chargers are pretty close. It was mainly injuries and a lousy OC that tanked them this past season so some added key talent upgrades could have a big impact.

If Staley doesn’t make it to playoffs, it should be his last season with the Chargers and likely could be.
                  Raiders are looking to deal UP to land QB CJ Stroud. If McDaniels doesn't win in 2023, it's his last season. ONE of these coaches - McDaniels or Staley - IS going to end up in the basement next season and they are gone. You already know who my money is on....

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    I still think the Broncos are 3 or 4 until proven otherwise. I don’t think he can turn Russ around. And his defensive coordinator choice will be key.
                    Cap management will be the key this off season, obviously.

I have faith in Ed McGuire.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

"Run his team into the ground" is overstating it quite a bit. They were 11-5 in 2017, 13-3 in 2018 and 2019 and 12-4 in 2020, all with a pretty diminished Brees. They were 9-8 in 2021 with a million injuries and were 5-2 before Winston tore his ACL. He's clearly one of the best coaches in the league. I think Russ is done as an elite or even Top 10 QB, but this is bad for us. We have at best the third best coach in the division for the foreseeable future.
                      Ah, I was unclear. When I said running the team into the ground, I wasn't referring to his teams records at the end. I meant that when Brees couldn't elevate weaker personnel as his body began to break down, in order to hold the team together and make pushes into the playoffs and take advantage of the weak NFC South while he could, Payton mortgaged the Saint's future by pushing as much cap as any team in recent memory. The Saints are in deep shit for the next few years. If he didn't quit on the Saints going in to the cap inferno, I imagine his record would have been blemished with a few more of his 7-9 (edit: 7-10 now, I suppose) seasons that people so often forget about.

I certainly don't think Payton is a bad coach, he's a very talented offensive mind. But I don't think he's magic either. I don't think he can immediately rescue the Broncos from the quagmire they got into by going all in on Russell Wilson. And he's proven that at this point in his career, he isn't really interested in a tough coaching job where he faces subpar records several years in a row. This move stinks to me of the Broncos very wealthy management trying to buy up all the expensive available big names they can and shove them together and hope it works. Hey, it might.

But at this point it feels just like last off-season where they traded for Wilson and many said off the bat that they were Super Bowl contenders. I'll start worrying about Payton if and when he shows he can have success with the Broncos.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Raiders are looking to deal UP to land QB CJ Stroud. If McDaniels doesn't win in 2023, it's his last season. ONE of these coaches - McDaniels or Staley - IS going to end up in the basement next season and they are gone. You already know who my money is on....
                        I would say the Raiders. Aren't they going to lose some offensive play making talent in the offseason and this does not include Carr.

:wtf:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Payton to the Broncos is bad news for us, no matter how one wants to spin it. We couldn't best the Raiders or the Broncos and ended up 2-4
                          in the division. That can't happen if we're going to make the POs next year. The schedule is a wee bit more difficult and we don't have the
                          luxury of fixing things through FA. We blew our wad this year and things didn't work out.

Comment

Working...
                          X