Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
    Well, Oliver is pretty thick legged and pretty fast, much like Michael Turner was. Not as heavy, but he looks heavy for his height. Not sure if his PSI is equal to Turner's, but I bet it's close.
    I'd say Eric Bieniemy is a closer comparison to Oliver.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Did you even watch the last half of the season? Go back and watch the OL play and then tell me you disagree. Rivers masks the statisics, but we had one of the worst offenses in recent memory.
      Okay. You got me there. I stopped paying attention after the Allens gave us a beat down.
      Yes, I agree. It was a terrible offense. I thought that's what I was saying.
      Shit, I'm trying to scroll up to what you originally said, but my phone isn't going back that far in time unless I want to shut down the browser and start this message over.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        I'd say Eric Bieniemy is a closer comparison to Oliver.
        Oliver needs to do that Bienemy touchdown celebration, or just that Bienemy every-time-he-got-the-ball celebration.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          Michael Turner has consistently produced. BO is still wait and see.
          Is Michael Turner still playing?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Did you even watch the last half of the season? Go back and watch the OL play and then tell me you disagree. Rivers masks the statisics, but we had one of the worst offenses in recent memory.
            Okay. I went back and read what you wrote. I misread your intent.
            I thought you meant to say that conservative teams produce better offenses, but you meant that teams with crappy offensive players don't usually play conservative because conservative and crappy aren't a good mix.

Once Allen stopped playing healthy, there wasn't much that could have been done with that offense last year other than to keep trying different things. I thought Reich did a shit job his first year, but, last year, he did about as best as one could.

I thought we should have gone for it on 4th down more and tried a few more onside kicks to try to fuck shit up and maybe fire up our O'line. Definitely didn't like seeing those rare drives that were working get turtled up at the end in hopes for a field goal. McCoy had a knack for sending stank farts into whatever wind the team could put into its sails.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Is Michael Turner still playing?
              No. But he carried the Falcon ground game for several years. When BO does that we can make the comparison. The comparison to Bieneimy is more appropriate.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                No. But he carried the Falcon ground game for several years. When BO does that we can make the comparison. The comparison to Bieneimy is more appropriate.
                I wasn't talking about what you're talking about. I'd go over it, but my point wasn't that interesting in the first place.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Not true.
                  Based on what? Have some proof? Or is this like the Donks must be cheating because they did it 20 years ago thread.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Okay. I went back and read what you wrote. I misread your intent.
                    I thought you meant to say that conservative teams produce better offenses, but you meant that teams with crappy offensive players don't usually play conservative because conservative and crappy aren't a good mix.

Once Allen stopped playing healthy, there wasn't much that could have been done with that offense last year other than to keep trying different things. I thought Reich did a shit job his first year, but, last year, he did about as best as one could.

I thought we should have gone for it on 4th down more and tried a few more onside kicks to try to fuck shit up and maybe fire up our O'line. Definitely didn't like seeing those rare drives that were working get turtled up at the end in hopes for a field goal. McCoy had a knack for sending stank farts into whatever wind the team could put into its sails.
                    Going conservative wins more games period.

The point is to have more points at the end of the game then the other team. If you shorten the game by running and taking time off the clock, you prevent the other team from having the ball as much. Look at most of the best defenses, they have conservative offenses that run the ball a lot and control the clock. At worst they have ball control passing offenses. Look at the last time we were good (McCoy's 1st season), we controlled the clock and kept our defense off the field, our defense was bad, but it is a lot easier to cover that up if they don't have to be on the field as much.

The loss of Allen hurt our offense, but it is not like they were playing that well before he was hurt. The OL was awful and 80% of the assignments in an offensive playbook is blocking, and that is something the Chargers haven't done well the last 2 seasons. They struggled in McCoy's 1st year until they got it together late in the year and went on a great run. Same with Norv's teams. OL sucks, we lose. OL starts to play OK to good, we win a lot more games.

Rivers is at his best when he is on the field, spreading the ball out to our receivers. Defenses get nervous, then make a mistake and Rivers burns them. He has been that way since college. Dink and dunk, complete short passes, until an assignment mistake gives him a big play. We need to focus a lot more on not stepping on our own dick's then anything else. The big plays will come, especially now that we have a big play back in Gordon.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Going conservative wins more games period.

The point is to have more points at the end of the game then the other team. If you shorten the game by running and taking time off the clock, you prevent the other team from having the ball as much. Look at most of the best defenses, they have conservative offenses that run the ball a lot and control the clock. At worst they have ball control passing offenses. Look at the last time we were good (McCoy's 1st season), we controlled the clock and kept our defense off the field, our defense was bad, but it is a lot easier to cover that up if they don't have to be on the field as much.

The loss of Allen hurt our offense, but it is not like they were playing that well before he was hurt. The OL was awful and 80% of the assignments in an offensive playbook is blocking, and that is something the Chargers haven't done well the last 2 seasons. They struggled in McCoy's 1st year until they got it together late in the year and went on a great run. Same with Norv's teams. OL sucks, we lose. OL starts to play OK to good, we win a lot more games.

Rivers is at his best when he is on the field, spreading the ball out to our receivers. Defenses get nervous, then make a mistake and Rivers burns them. He has been that way since college. Dink and dunk, complete short passes, until an assignment mistake gives him a big play. We need to focus a lot more on not stepping on our own dick's then anything else. The big plays will come, especially now that we have a big play back in Gordon.
                      I agree with most of that. We need better blocking.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The fashionable thing among fans will be to draft heavy on D this draft. But we have been going heavy on D for several years, and it is starting to show on O. I wouldn't mind Boas if he falls, although I think some fans are always going to be disappointed in him if we took him at #3. Usually when you take a guy that high fans want him to be a 20 sack per year guy, and while he has great intangibles and is a good run defender, I think Bosa ends up being a guy who is capable of 10-12 sacks per year. He is more of a consistency and hustle guy, but that is something that need more then the extra sacks.

If I wasn't going with Bosa, the guy I actually like is Treadwell, from Ole Miss. It would be nice if he was faster, but he is physical, complements our other receivers and has run after the catch ability that none of our other WR have. He runs routes better than most college WR, but needs work against the press (like most college WR do). Then if we take Treadwell early, load up on interior OL (provided we can resign Barksdale).

The other guy I would like to see us add is Jakeem Grant (TTU). WHile I am a TTU alum (so I am not exactly unbiased), he has the speed and quickness we have missed in the slot. He is also a great kick returner, which we desperately need, and the days of using a guy as just a returner are over, so the guy has to be a receiver too.

Comment

• bonehead
                          Undrafted
                          • Jul 2013
                          • TBD
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

I like Treadwell too but at #3 that's a mistake.....rather go with Jalen Ramsey or better yet trade down and get Vernon Hargreaves
                          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

Working...
                          X