• Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Van Noy tweeting out he is not coming back
    they want to go younger
    says the defense will be fine if they get Safety and CB
    leaders are Mack, James and Kendricks

So hopefully the Chargers bring in a safety whether its JJ3 or somebody. Just for competition - if they don't win the job - cut them on labor day
    Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 05-25-2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
      they want to go younger

Sorry to read that, I thought KVN was a very good addition the defensive team last year.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

they want to go younger

So hopefully the Chargers bring in a safety whether its JJ3 or somebody. Just for competition - if they don't win the job - cut them on labor day
        Bad news. KVN is a champion, leader and [playmaker. He was one of our best players on D last season. Chargers blowing it

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bad news. KVN is a champion, leader and [playmaker. He was one of our best players on D last season. Chargers blowing it
          IDK if I'd go as far as 'blowing it', but we could use Kyle, and he proved last year that he's still got something left . . . . . . . . hope this doesn't come back to bite us - we're exceptionally thin at backups for our (injury prone and elderly) edge rushers. Maybe he complained too much about the country club coasters . . . . . . .

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

they want to go younger

Wow, so the Bolts want to go younger...so they sign Kendricks...yeah...riiiiiggghhhttt...

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

IDK if I'd go as far as 'blowing it', but we could use Kyle, and he proved last year that he's still got something left . . . . . . . . hope this doesn't come back to bite us - we're exceptionally thin at backups for our (injury prone and elderly) edge rushers. Maybe he complained too much about the country club coasters . . . . . . .
              If they sign Leonard Floyd I get it but to go into the season with a 20 year old rookie and Rumph as the back ups is a mistake

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

He did good things for the Chargers. But Van Noy had his weaknesses. He wasn't great at run defense, and he wasn't good in coverage.

If they sign Leonard Floyd I get it but to go into the season with a 20 year old rookie and Rumph as the back ups is a mistake
                Rumph showed signs of his potential. He's young and can still get better.

And people just want to write players off so soon. Other players who can improve just like Pipkins did.​

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

He did good things for the Chargers. But Van Noy had his weaknesses. He wasn't great at run defense, and he wasn't good in coverage.

Rumph showed signs of his potential. He's young and can still get better.

And people just want to write players off so soon. Other players who can improve just like Pipkins did.​
                  Rumph hasn't shown me much of anything yet.

I liked him early on, but his lack of production is disconcerting.
                  I'd guess he'll never really make the next step.

If Tuli is not ready, and bosa or mack go down ...... it will be a long year for the defense.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Rumph came into camp last year looking like a different guy-- He had added weight and clearly had devoted himself in the weight room.

It didn't translate into success on the field, but... in the fustercluck that was the Bolts' defense last year, he was one of many marginally productive guys. It's not as though the table was set for him to excel, and he blew it.

IMO, if he's used correctly and has the right guys around him he could be an effective role player. That's not much of a ceiling, but it's better than Brendan Jaimes, whom I believe was the next player drafted by the Chargers after Rumph was selected in 2021.

I'll be very curious to see how competent Rumph looks this summer compared to the crop of Defensive Front 7 UDFAs signed after the draft: Brevin Campbell, Jerrod Clark, and Nathan East. If Rumph doesn't appear to be on the rise, I would expect the team to cut him, and focus on developing someone they believe has a higher ceiling.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                      In that case, at least sign Van Noy as a backup/rotational Edge...pass rushing is his strength...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

This is the way I feel. Granted Van Noy mentioned needing S and more CB depth

But whether it was KVN or Floyd or Player X - I still think relying on Rumph as your 4th Edge is a mistake. Even Popper is not very high on the future of Rumph

Again, maybe as some have suggested, waiting for OTAs and even training camp to see the depth they have. Not sure why Telesco hasn't made any post draft signings.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

especially since the narrative is that he was finally getting the defense down towards the end of the season.
                          KVN is a no-brainer signing if he wants to come back for cheap, and all indications are that.
                          Rumph is a body.
                          G-Ro knows.

Comment

Working...
                          X