• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Jalen Guyton is due what he is due. Over 5 seasons, he has 61 receptions for 1,023 yards.
    He has 9 carries for 34 yards (3.8 ypc). He has no PR/KR experience at all. He has deep speed... and that's why he was re-signed.

If Jalen Guyton had been re-signed AFTER the draft... I might have more hope. A 1-year, vet minimum contract doesn't scream confidence.
    The fact that they drafted a WR in the 4th round with speed... suggests to me that they may want to replace him after this year.
    They drafted a kick returner . . . . . . . . . . with speed.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And we are never wrong lol.
      And yes, if our top WRs are pretty much healthy, DD won't see the field much as a WR this season anyways.
      We'll see who stays for 2024.

Still, at his size I don't see him being close to an every down WR anyways but mixed I'm more , yes. He was drafted to be a KR, occasional WR.
      I didn't try to embarrass anybody by pointing out that no RB/TE were drafted. It was meant to show that Kellen Moore is looking at this offense much more differently than we were/are.

IMO, his size has little to do with playing time (Ekeler's size suggests 3rd down back exclusively... but he isn't). They will use DD according to his skillset. He has the skillset as: vertical threat, jet sweep, and bubble screen WR. Moore will lead us into next-generation play-calling on offense. Like it or not, the jet-sweep and bubble screen are part of that play-calling. It spreads a defense horizontally and allows for greater running lanes and match-ups in the running game. Everybody recognizes what Deebo Samuel does for the 49ers run offense (even though he is a WR).

I never meant to describe DD as an every down WR. But he's much more than a PR/KR, occasional WR. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the offensive formation 25+% of the time.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

I didn't try to embarrass anybody by pointing out that no RB/TE were drafted. It was meant to show that Kellen Moore is looking at this offense much more differently than we were/are.

IMO, his size has little to do with playing time (Ekeler's size suggests 3rd down back exclusively... but he isn't). They will use DD according to his skillset. He has the skillset as: vertical threat, jet sweep, and bubble screen WR. Moore will lead us into next-generation play-calling on offense. Like it or not, the jet-sweep and bubble screen are part of that play-calling. It spreads a defense horizontally and allows for greater running lanes and match-ups in the running game. Everybody recognizes what Deebo Samuel does for the 49ers run offense (even though he is a WR).

I never meant to describe DD as an every down WR. But he's much more than a PR/KR, occasional WR. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the offensive formation 25+% of the time.

Let's let him show us he can be successful against NFL level competition . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and if he's playing 25% of the offensive snaps we have other issues.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
          [/B][/U]

Let's let him show us he can be successful against NFL level competition . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and if he's playing 25% of the offensive snaps we have other issues.
          If his presence on the field opens up running lanes and makes us more efficient (and more balanced) we've already solved some of last year's issues.

I understand that we've never had a player (or coach) that could successfully run a bubble screen or jet sweep before... this will probably take some of you some time to adjust. LOL! Welcome to 21st century football!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

If his presence on the field opens up running lanes and makes us more efficient (and more balanced) we've already solved some of last year's issues.

I understand that we've never had a player (or coach) that could successfully run a bubble screen or jet sweep before... this will probably take some of you some time to adjust. LOL! Welcome to 21st century football!
            25% sounds a bit high to me, but who knows. I don’t think some DD plays are impossible, i was guessing closer to 10% than 25%, but describe some of the formations you might envision with DD? Go ahead and assume he shows well in TC and PS games.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

DD isn't just a skinny kid that runs real fast. He's an exceptionally strong, agile 5-9, 170 with great vision and is a contender for fastest field speed in a football uniform.
              He's no threat to tale away reps from our top 4 WRs but it would be a shame not to use him and what he brings on offense occasionally.
              Get him the ball and a lane and it's see ya later.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Great discussion. My guess is DD will play WR about 10% of the time. I say that, remembering that a pretty good WR has to come off the field when he's in and knowing he's a small man that they want to keep healthy for return duties.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

25% sounds a bit high to me, but who knows. I don’t think some DD plays are impossible, i was guessing closer to 10% than 25%, but describe some of the formations you might envision with DD? Go ahead and assume he shows well in TC and PS games.
                  Post 6449 and Post 6456.

6449 are formations that TCU ran during their Fiesta Bowl win over Michigan.
                  6456 are formations that cater to screen and jet sweep.

Both of the links show formations akin to philosophies that Staley talked about for the last 2 years. Both links show formations/philosophies that we've heard Kellen Moore talk about this off-season. After KM was hired, I started finding coaching clinic tapes done by KM. So pre-draft, I started looking for players that fit that mode. I found Derius Davis and regularly mocked him in the 6th round. KM liked him so much he drafted him in the 4th round... just saying.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

I'm not directing this post to *you*. Boltnut-- It's just that you remind me of a topic I haven't seen brought up here.

Kellen Moore is known for designing game plans that optimally capitalize on the talent that he has available to him.

We saw what he did in Dallas-- pretty impressive, considering what he was working with-- but we can only *guess* what he'll be scheming up for the offensive talent on the Bolts' roster. It certainly doesn't resemble Dallas' talent, so it wouldn't make sense to do the same things, scheme-wise, that he did while with the Cowboys.

It seems like a lot of posters here are anticipating Moore's impact to be instant, and significant. I'm not sure that's a bet I'd put money on, although I certainly hope the Chargers' 'O' hits the ground sprinting and lights up the scoreboard plenty.

IMO, there is (1) a chemistry to build, and (2) a rhythm to establish before the offense will be able to function on all cylinders. With as little time as the starters spend facing off against NFL caliber opponents during the pre-season, I think it's reasonable to postulate that it could take a month for the offense to accomplish those things, and *THAT* assumes that a solid RB2 emerges.

Convince me I'm wrong! <ducks and runs>

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

What I'm seein'...

Run it left Kellen.
                      Behind Rashawn and Zion.
                      Powerful, sustained blocks.
                      We can dominate.
                      Like Dallas.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I'm not directing this post to *you*. Boltnut-- It's just that you remind me of a topic I haven't seen brought up here.

Kellen Moore is known for designing game plans that optimally capitalize on the talent that he has available to him.

We saw what he did in Dallas-- pretty impressive, considering what he was working with-- but we can only *guess* what he'll be scheming up for the offensive talent on the Bolts' roster. It certainly doesn't resemble Dallas' talent, so it wouldn't make sense to do the same things, scheme-wise, that he did while with the Cowboys.

It seems like a lot of posters here are anticipating Moore's impact to be instant, and significant. I'm not sure that's a bet I'd put money on, although I certainly hope the Chargers' 'O' hits the ground sprinting and lights up the scoreboard plenty.

IMO, there is (1) a chemistry to build, and (2) a rhythm to establish before the offense will be able to function on all cylinders. With as little time as the starters spend facing off against NFL caliber opponents during the pre-season, I think it's reasonable to postulate that it could take a month for the offense to accomplish those things, and *THAT* assumes that a solid RB2 emerges.

Personally, I expect the good health of Herbert, Slater, MW, KA and the addition of QJ to have an immediate and significant impact on offense.
                        Moore has made it clear that he won't abandon what we do/ did well, rather add to and build on our strengths. He's not installing a whole new program.
                        The avg depth of target on passes and team execution on run plays will change game one but I'm sure there will be a build of momentum and confidence over the season.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

IMO, you've hit the nail on the head... and even made my argument for me.
                          He won't do the same thing he did with Dallas. He didn't have the same weapons @WR that he'll have available to him @LAC.

IMO, there isn't an NFL team that has the WR corps (#1-6) that we have... and it's a varied group of WR's skillset-wise. They didn't go out and draft more TE's and RB's. IMO, he'll implement an Air Raid style of offense.
                          Instead of 12 and 13 personnel groupings, he'll use 10 and 11 personnel groupings... because that's where the talent is.

And BTW... Air Raid systems are no longer pass, pass, pass systems. They now run the ball very well (look @Garrett Riley's system).

They run the ball well because they spread a defense out and take defenders out of the box. Both Staley and Moore have talked about this.

I expect a lot of 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB formations. I expect a lot of 4 WR, 1 RB formations. Why? Because that's where the talent is.

I also expect a lot of 4x1 overloads... a lot of motion and shifts to help Herbert identify favorable matchups and zone/man reads.

Bubble screens (and their bunch formations help create overload or mismatches.
                          Jet sweeps help take defenders out of the box... and even offer another run option. And who is the player you want running those sweeps and screens...? It ain't Keenan Allen. It ain't Joshua Palmer. It ain't Mike Williams.

Andy Reid has been doing this for a few years now. Speaking of Andy Reid... he didn't seem to have much trouble with "chemistry" even after Tykeek left... and how many new WR's did he have last year...? Didn't he just let JuJu leave...?

Chemistry and cylinders need scientists and mechanics. I think in Moore we found both...

The new formations and pre-snap motion will open up the running game. I expect Ekeler will be very happy. I expect Kelley to continue to improve. I expect Spiller will be able to show us what he can do now that he's healthy.

I hope I convinced you.

Comment

Working...
                          X