Clear All
  • cmplxgal
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • New Jersey
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
    I think back up OL at this point is a bigger priority than Callahan

Agreed. I'd like to find a way to sign another starting safety. Gillman is better served as #3. People talk about John Johnson; is he a scheme fit? His contract was reasonable until the last two seasons:

John Johnson contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Agreed. I'd like to find a way to sign another starting safety. Gillman is better served as #3. People talk about John Johnson; is he a scheme fit? His contract was reasonable until the last two seasons:

John Johnson contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history
      I agree. Another experienced safety is required. Not like Derwin never gets injured.

If he does, right now you are trotting out Gilman and JT Woods. Yikes!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I agree. Another experienced safety is required. Not like Derwin never gets injured.

If he does, right now you are trotting out Gilman and JT Woods. Yikes!
        And still -- more team speed on offense hasn't been addressed. I get it, still the draft., But at this point, if Trent Scherfeld can return punts - might take a flier on him over Carter if he is cheap enough

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Scott or a punter and Carter (return man) are more budget neutral deals. Maybe a net hit to the cap of $500k with signing bonus

Van Noy - he might get like 1.5m plus a little bonus so maybe a net million to the cap. Or he will be on another team

I think back up OL at this point is a bigger priority than Callahan
          I’d rather take a chance on Day3 backup OL pick than Day3 starting slot corner. Callahan was nails last year.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• cmplxgal
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • New Jersey
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            I’d rather take a chance on Day3 backup OL pick than Day3 starting slot corner. Callahan was nails last year.

He was. But if JC Jackson comes back, he's a luxury as a 4th starting-level CB.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

And still -- more team speed on offense hasn't been addressed. I get it, still the draft., But at this point, if Trent Scherfeld can return punts - might take a flier on him over Carter if he is cheap enough
              Realistically, with other needs in mind, plus not being thrilled with round 1 WRs, i think adressing speed in round 3 with someone like Trey Palmer makes some sense

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

Pipkins' contract structure has become known, and the low 2023 cap hit will give the Chargers a little more cap space:

Popper had the Chargers at $5.346 million in spending space based on a $5 million projection for Pipkins’ cap hit, so this would add $1.25M. Although this isn't exact because it includes a $5M projection for Fox's 2023 cap number. So they could have even a little more cap space (probably not less).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well, Will Clapp and Brendan Jaimes would like a word

And I am still only paying Callahan the Vet Minimum and a small signing bonus

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                    Pipkins' contract structure has become known, and the low 2023 cap hit will give the Chargers a little more cap space:

Popper had the Chargers at $5.346 million in spending space based on a $5 million projection for Pipkins’ cap hit, so this would add $1.25M. Although this isn't exact because it includes a $5M projection for Fox's 2023 cap number. So they could have even a little more cap space (probably not less).
                    Another thing to take into account is the dustin hopkins contract situation, his contract must’ve had some kind of poison pill that prevented the chargers from cutting him without making a large chunk (like more than half) guaranteed…so he will be a post june cut for sure which would save 1.15 mil but would instantly guarantee him 1.4 mil, so perhaps the chargers are banking on someone picking up his guaranteed portion ( a reasonable salary for kicker) post june which would then free up the rest of that dead cap, leaving the chargers with a net gain of 2.285mil in cap space if and when someone signs hopkins after the chargers cut him post june 1st…doubtful he would go unsigned IMO, in that case the chargers would still owe hopkins 1.4 mil of guaranteed salary in 2023 season even if he’s no longer on the team…

so whatever effective cap space the chargers have right now, I think it’s a pretty safe bet to add 2.285 million to that total when hopkins gets signed by another team…the same thing would happen with a post june 1st trade but nobody is going to trade for hopkins, why would they?
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Realistically, with other needs in mind, plus not being thrilled with round 1 WRs, i think adressing speed in round 3 with someone like Trey Palmer makes some sense
                      By the end of Day 2 is fine and in fact, I like the values of Day 2 WRs better than the First round actually

and because of needs + value - I still think trading back makes the most sense

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Another to take into account is the dustin hopkins contract situation, his contract must’ve had some kind of poison pill that prevented the chargers from cutting him without making a large chunk (like more than half) guaranteed…so he will be a post june cut for sure which would save 1.15 mil but would instantly guarantee him 1.4 mil, so perhaps the chargers are banking on someone picking up his guaranteed portion ( a reasonable salary for kicker) post june which would then free up the rest of that dead cap, leaving the chargers with a net gain of 2.285mil in cap space if and when someone signs hopkins after the chargers cut him post june 1st…doubtful he would go unsigned IMO, in that case the chargers would still owe hopkins 1.4 mil of guaranteed salary in 2023 season even if he’s no longer on the team…

so whatever effective cap space the chargers have right now, I think it’s a pretty safe bet to add 2.285 million to that total when hopkins gets signed by another team…the same thing would happen with a post june 1st trade but nobody is going to trade for hopkins, why would they?
                        Chargers are going to be 50m over the cap going into next offseason - that includes counting Herbert at 25m if not extended and adding this draft class and next years

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

The chargers must’ve been pretty desperate last year when they re-signed hopkins, because I think it’s unusual to give a kicker a contract with vested guaranteed money in it…
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X