• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I agree that probably Ekeler returning will not be an issue. The personalities involved (Ek/Moore/Staley) are professional and not petty.

I don't believe they would trade up for Bijan, and I don't think he'll fall to 21, but, like you, I think that is the more likely than trading up.

I don't know what to think about JCJ - I'm tending to think negatively about the situ, he will never be a top corner and even when/if he returns he'll be buried on the depth chart for two seasons until the Chargers can get out of his contract after 2024. When it was announced last August he was going to have that surgery just before the season started, I had a strong feeling this was going to turn out to be a boondoggle for the Chargers. I hope I'm wrong though.
    One bright light, JCJ played well in training camp before the ankle got sore. I didn't feel good about the ankle either but I'm not holding it against him.
    I'm at 50/50, we'll see.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

And the Negative Nancy answers:

1) He won't be there and we won't trade up (nor should we)
      2) Jackson will start the season on IR (or PUP) and will be largely ineffective all season
      3) Ekeler will have a good season...because it's in HIS best interests to do so
      The larger team goals of the Chargers might not equate to the fantasy numbers Ekeler has put up the last two years.

Ekeler might not hold in/out or whatever, be in great shape for camp - and all of that. But, he probably will not have the numbers he had the last two years as he probably is not getting the touches and opportunities he had the last two years

More than likely, the Chargers are going to address RB, WR and TE in this draft (at worst WR and TE). Add in the fact of a hopefully healthy seasons from KA and MW -- how will Ekeler get the touches. I think his numbers are going to decrease in terms of rushing yards, receptions and touchdowns - but to the benefit of the team.

If I am the chargers - I might be inclined to give him a bonus of $1.5m just because and add some incentives - but do not extend his contract.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I agree w/Dan Orlovsky.... we need to put an offer in on Hopkins, and in lieu of resigning Guyton.

as a sidebar, he was the guy I favored for QBs coach.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
          I agree w/Dan Orlovsky.... we need to put an offer in on Hopkins, and in lieu of resigning Guyton.

as a sidebar, he was the guy I favored for QBs coach.
          From purely a cap perspective - unless DHop were to take a massive pay cut - -cannot really equate releasing Guyton to sign Hopkins.

Hopkins is scheduled to make $19.45m -- the Cardinals could release him. If I am the chargers -- I don't want to use precious draft capital on a guy making that kind of cash to have a WR room with $60m bucks for a guy that doesn't bring what the team needs. Hopkins is clearly the best of the three when looking at Allen, Hopkins and Williams. But he is also 31. And at his current salary - the Chargers probably would have to push 8-10m even if they were to get cap space from Everett and Ekeler. Which is more dead money next year - that hte chargers cannot afford

Basically the only way I think DHop makes sense for the Chargers is if he takes like 12m and they release Ek and Everett. And even that, they are still lacking speed in the WR room.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I have three burning questions today:

Is it the consensus that Bijan Robinson will not fall to the Chargers at #21 and the only way to get him is to trade up?

What is the consensus on JC Jackson - does he have a chance to come all the way back from his injury and be the player he once was, whom the Chargers were expecting, or is never going to be that player again and his contract is another boondoggle, like Bryan Bulaga.

If Austin Ekeler plays this season with the Chargers - which is looking likely - how is that going to work, after he's dissed the organization and said he feels disrespected by the team?
            Well there's always this:

1. We trade up to get Bijan. Giving up our 2nd, 3rd this year and 3rd next. Bijan goes to IR in week 1
            2. JC starts the year on PUP. Comes back mid season, plays 2 games before going to IR
            3. Ekeler gets traded for a 4th rounder (next year's draft) Rushes for 1200 yards, 600 yards receiving, 21 TDs and wins a SB.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

Release Guyton? Pretty sure he is off the roster...am I wrong on this? Think he is a free agent...
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                Release Guyton? Pretty sure he is off the roster...am I wrong on this? Think he is a free agent...
                Correct - its not releasing its just not signing him. I put releasing. Point is the same - he isn't going to cost $19.45m to sign like Hopkins would under his current agreement.

Guyton might be a post draft type signing.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

1. We trade up to get Bijan. Giving up our 2nd, 3rd this year and 3rd next. Bijan goes to IR in week 1
                  2. JC starts the year on PUP. Comes back mid season, plays 2 games before going to IR
                  3. Ekeler gets traded for a 4th rounder (next year's draft) Rushes for 1200 yards, 600 yards receiving, 21 TDs and wins a SB.
                  Like a true Charger fan lol.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

If Bijan fall to 21, it will be less surprising than A. Rodgers when he fell at something like 25.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Not only that but it would kill our entire season for this year using so many draft picks. There's zero risk using our 3rd and 4th rounders to draft two RBs we liked not named Bijan and then drafting two really good players with our 1st and 2nd on other roles.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM