• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I was glad they didn't hire Rivera as coach. I knew he didn't have the goods to coach up talent to the next level.
    That's what supersmart assistant coaches are for...We traded Rivera for Mike McCoy....
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I was glad they didn't hire Rivera as coach. I knew he didn't have the goods to coach up talent to the next level.
      huh.... would love to have Riverboat Ron back here,
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

huh.... would love to have Riverboat Ron back here,
        I think he is a better HC than Staley. See what Staley does in year 3

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Staley’s defensive concepts taking three years, hmm. Is that like Lombardi’s offensive concepts taking, I dunno now, how many years to gel?

Need results, not concepts.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
            Staley’s defensive concepts taking three years, hmm. Is that like Lombardi’s offensive concepts taking, I dunno now, how many years to gel?

Need results, not concepts.

Did the 3 years to gel start last year, when Staley got rid of all the flotsam and jetsam from the year before?
            Maybe it starts this year?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Did the 3 years to gel start last year, when Staley got rid of all the flotsam and jetsam from the year before?

If it doesn't start this year - Staley will be gone
              he knows that
              Telesco knows that

hence, the offseason they have had - -it was easier for Tommy and Brandon to take this approach than another approach

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

With all the work done last year in FA, we must be patient
                At least one more year

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                  If it doesn't start this year - Staley will be gone
                  he knows that
                  Telesco knows that

hence, the offseason they have had - -it was easier for Tommy and Brandon to take this approach than another approach
                  Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  With all the work done last year in FA, we must be patient
                  At least one more year
                  IMO, the priority is to load up at the offensive skill positions. An RB who can pound the rock and gain 1,200 yds + every season, forcing defenses to respect the run game. Then they need to add speed to the WR corps. Mike Williams, Keenan Allen and Joshua Palmer are a good top three, but they need to be balanced by at least two WRs who can get open deep and force defenses to defend every blade of grass on the field, because Herbert is that rare QB who can throw to every blade of grass on the field. Then they need a solid young TE. He doesn't have to be the next Kelce or Kittle. But a guy like Cole Kmet who was a solid pass catcher for the Bears as a rookie with 544 yds and seven scores. This draft is so deep in TE talent they should be able to draft one in rounds 3-4.

The best thing they can do to help the defense is to make the offense so unstoppable that it dominates time of possession every game. They spent a lot to upgrade the defense last season. And I think they have a pretty decent OL in place, they've invested a lot there too the last two drafts. I feel that Herbert's talent is almost limitless but not fully tapped because there issues at the offensive skill positions. Herbert was at his best as a rookie when he had two young WRs who could get open deep in Tyron Johnson and Jalen Guyton. In his third through sixth starts as a rookie in 2020 Herbert threw 13 TD passes in those four games with several highlight reel completions for long yardage and TDs. I think Kellen Moore will design an offense to get Herbert back there, but he needs more playmakers at WR/RB.

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Ekeler did an interview yesterday and it seems like he is figuring out that no one probably wants to pay him more than 6 mill this year to be a RB in the NFL! He seems like a nice guy but he always seems to say the wrong thing. It doesn't seem like he'll hold out tho if no one trades for him on draft day so let him say what he wants to, it doesn't matter what he says at this point it matters what he does, as long as he shows up on time and plays like a pro this year all is good. He will come in a play for a new contract, so he'll have to put up 20 TDS and 900 yards or risk his 10 million dollar contract after next season (in his mind anyway)! Good enough.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                      Ekeler did an interview yesterday and it seems like he is figuring out that no one probably wants to pay him more than 6 mill this year to be a RB in the NFL! He seems like a nice guy but he always seems to say the wrong thing. It doesn't seem like he'll hold out tho if no one trades for him on draft day so let him say what he wants to, it doesn't matter what he says at this point it matters what he does, as long as he shows up on time and plays like a pro this year all is good. He will come in a play for a new contract, so he'll have to put up 20 TDS and 900 yards or risk his 10 million dollar contract after next season (in his mind anyway)! Good enough.

I just read this on Instagram. It seems like Ekeler and the Chargers are headed for a divorce.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

IMO, the priority is to load up at the offensive skill positions. An RB who can pound the rock and gain 1,200 yds + every season, forcing defenses to respect the run game. Then they need to add speed to the WR corps. Mike Williams, Keenan Allen and Joshua Palmer are a good top three, but they need to be balanced by at least two WRs who can get open deep and force defenses to defend every blade of grass on the field, because Herbert is that rare QB who can throw to every blade of grass on the field. Then they need a solid young TE. He doesn't have to be the next Kelce or Kittle. But a guy like Cole Kmet who was a solid pass catcher for the Bears as a rookie with 544 yds and seven scores. This draft is so deep in TE talent they should be able to draft one in rounds 3-4.

The best thing they can do to help the defense is to make the offense so unstoppable that it dominates time of possession every game. They spent a lot to upgrade the defense last season. And I think they have a pretty decent OL in place, they've invested a lot there too the last two drafts. I feel that Herbert's talent is almost limitless but not fully tapped because there issues at the offensive skill positions. Herbert was at his best as a rookie when he had two young WRs who could get open deep in Tyron Johnson and Jalen Guyton. In his third through sixth starts as a rookie in 2020 Herbert threw 13 TD passes in those four games with several highlight reel completions for long yardage and TDs. I think Kellen Moore will design an offense to get Herbert back there, but he needs more playmakers at WR/RB.
                        I think we get at least avg run production from Moore's 2 TE sets. Make sure he's happy with the TEs available. Add a WR that Moore likes. He knows what he wants.We need TDs. Punting & FGs are situational crutches. Avoid the need.
                        Staley's D is based on playing with a lead, forcing opponent passing to try to keep up. So we attack. IMO TE & WR. I'm not unhappy with our RBs. IMO Moore is a much better OC than Lombardi at play design, game flow. I haven't seen what he can do with what we have. To be fair QB injury, OL issues were a problem but that's not 2023.

ps: If Bijan is there, take him.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          I think that's the objective for this next season.... to join the top tier teams.... w/12, 13, 14 wins.

right now we are @the top, albeit nonetheless bunched w/the second tier teams @7, 8 and 9 losses.... Miami, Pats, Ravens, Jax and us.

personally that's the bar going into things this year.... 12 wins and to make the AFCCG.

and it's still pretty simple.... unleash the Rocket Man, and.... for those of you that complain that we can't/couldn't because of our Oline, then what are we doing thinking WR @21 ?? !!

fix the darn Oline.... daggammit,
                          Appreciate a clear definition of “success”. much better than the usual “well, just play better against teams i think you should play better than when you play them!!!”

11-6 and AFCCG is fine with me.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X