• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

They should play JB out of a 3 point stance, period. Edge or olb in 3-4 alignment usually rely more in suddenness out of their stance, shimmy and hand fight, then go. Joey is very powerful coming out of that 3 point stance and move with good finess. Imo, His style isnt the quick, shimmy type. Like lights out use to be. First off, very few players gets off the line quite like lights out. He has a knack for catching the snap count and beat everybody off the line, offensive and defensive side. Often you see when the ball snaps, he is the first one to move and that’s a regular occurrence.

I would say, if the chargers play Joey like a Jared Allen, we would see his full potential and to judge just how good he really is.
    I'm reading here that Derwin is over rated and not special, Bosa is a jag, JC Jackson was a mistake (even before the injury), Mack is not much better than Van Noy, good riddance to Tranquil...
    Hey! Maybe the DC needs to get his head out of his ass.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'm reading here that Derwin is over rated and not special, Bosa is a jag, JC Jackson was a mistake (even before the injury), Mack is not much better than Van Noy, good riddance to Tranquil...
      That too . . . . . . . . !!!

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...Bosa is not really elite...as long as there's Mack on the other side, he's very good, though...
        Bosa has @ 11 sacks per full season without Mack.
        If both stay fairly healthy and Rumph / Tuli are playing in rotation, everything about the Chargers defense will be improved.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Give him a break! Ansley just got the job.The players seem to like him, he even had Mack smiling.

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

It was hinged on an injury protection clause that is consider a fairly common practice. The chargers had a hard time giving him a protection clause that guarantee him a certain amount of money in the event that he got injured during camps.

He was the first of the young generation of his family to get a big payday and his dad’s career basically was derailed from an injury. Perhaps he was influence by his family injury history. I believe his uncle Eric Kumerow also dealt with injury also.
            The real reason Bosa held out is because Spanos did not want to pay his his money up front like the other top picks....spanos wanted to break it up and pay him the rest of his money the following year.... because of that, bosa's agent used the injury clause issue as a bargaining point to get the Bosa paid like the others.... so Spanos could feel like he won something...... by bosa giving up the injury clause....

Spanos cannot go cheap on contract total money but they look for other ways to be cheap.....

Comment

• C’monchargers
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

I think the chargers tend to ask their “stars” to do a lot. In my opinion that kind of made them predictable at times. Also, when those “stars” goes down, they scramble to hash out a plan to offset the lost in reps. But ended up coming up with a plan that play kind of fundamentally sound, because they inevitably had to play to their remaining player’s strength.

So why not have a fundamentally sound plan that the stars are not over occupied and really can shine within their responsibility confinement and let them shine. Once you spread them thin, they become a guy who does a lot just above par.

Thus, you see these identity crisis players have in their system and time and time again we see them shine else where doing more simple task.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I think the chargers tend to ask their “stars” to do a lot. In my opinion that kind of made them predictable at times. Also, when those “stars” goes down, they scramble to hash out a plan to offset the lost in reps. But ended up coming up with a plan that play kind of fundamentally sound, because they inevitably had to play to their remaining player’s strength.

So why not have a fundamentally sound plan that the stars are not over occupied and really can shine within their responsibility confinement and let them shine. Once you spread them thin, they become a guy who does a lot just above par.

Thus, you see these identity crisis players have in their system and time and time again we see them shine else where doing more simple task.
                For the first time in his career, Bosa was asked to stand up.
                Staley said at the beginning that he designs his defenses around players skill sets.

Having Bosa standing up is another example of that being interview bullshit.

Comment

• C’monchargers
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The real reason Bosa held out is because Spanos did not want to pay his his money up front like the other top picks....spanos wanted to break it up and pay him the rest of his money the following year.... because of that, bosa's agent used the injury clause issue as a bargaining point to get the Bosa paid like the others.... so Spanos could feel like he won something...... by bosa giving up the injury clause....

Spanos cannot go cheap on contract total money but they look for other ways to be cheap.....
                  I am not sure I would give and opinion and be sure as to say for certain it is what it is.

If your opinion is Spanos was being cheap I can agree on, but the injury incentive is a common practice and it might seems like a maneuver to get money up front since the clause never kicked in and made it irrelevant.

Comment

• C’monchargers
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Staley said at the beginning that he designs his defenses around players skill sets.

Yes in Ohio he was even more close to the ball, he played some 4,5 up in there.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

His NFL numbers before 2021 and in 2021 are pretty similar. In 2022 he missed 12 games with injury.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

This has been my complaint - particularly with DJ. I think Staley is enamored with his sophisticated system on the back end and feels like he needs to use James in multiple roles to show how smart he (Staley) is. The end result is a player that does a lot of things well, but none of them actually elite. I would love for Staley to just give the guy a job, hell - maybe even 2 jobs, but that's all, and let the rest of the guys do THIER jobs.

I think - in a simplified role where the guy can just play, James would benefit the team more, and produce more impact plays. And I don't hold James accountable for failing to cover Kelce (all the time). He makes it harder for Kelce than almost anyone else. That's as good as it gets when your up against Kelce & Mahomes - I DO want him to make plays when the game's on the line however . . . . . . . those would be the impact plays he's drawing elite pay to produce.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

This has been my complaint - particularly with DJ. I think Staley is enamored with his sophisticated system on the back end and feels like he needs to use James in multiple roles to show how smart he (Staley) is. The end result is a player that does a lot of things well, but none of them actually elite. I would love for Staley to just give the guy a job, hell - maybe even 2 jobs, but that's all, and let the rest of the guys do THIER jobs.

I think - in a simplified role where the guy can just play, James would benefit the team more, and produce more impact plays. And I don't hold James accountable for failing to cover Kelce (all the time). He makes it harder for Kelce than almost anyone else. That's as good as it gets when your up against Kelce & Mahomes - I DO want him to make plays when the game's on the line however . . . . . . . those would be the impact plays he's drawing elite pay to produce.
                          Maybe Staley's Sophisticated System is also the reason why K9 is not doing all that great the past couple years...seems Murray did better in the Gus D...

Comment

Working...
                          X