• 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
    [/B][/U]

Rhetorical question I'm sure, but . . . . . . . . . . . . . NO.

Most all here know I don't think much of Staley as a HC (or a DC for that matter). Part of my disappointment with him is exactly this. Either Staley didn't have the balls to TELL Lombardi what to do, and / or fire him when he didn't comply, or he didn't have the knowledge to adequately direct him. Either way - not good. The HC is the Captain - he's supposed to be making sure the 'ship' is functioning at max efficiency - how he allowed the offense to deteriorate to the point it did is beyond me.

I give Staley benefit of the doubt at this point and figure he simply trusted his guys too much.
    Lombo, but also his former DC and ST guy.
    no excuses, he shouldn't have and should have known better, but me thinks he trusts his guys too much.
    Hope he's learned from it.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I give Staley benefit of the doubt at this point and figure he simply trusted his guys too much.
      Lombo, but also his former DC and ST guy.
      no excuses, he shouldn't have and should have known better, but me thinks he trusts his guys too much.
      Hope he's learned from it.
      I understand what you're saying, but IF this is true then one of 3 things happened; Staley either 1) didn't understand what being a HC means when he took the job, or 2) he was unable to recognize that things were not going well (how could that possibly be?), or 3) he was unable to correct the mistakes being made due to lack of knowledge, ability or an overabundance of loyalty. ANY of these 3 things should be considered fatal flaws in a person in a leadership position.

I'm sure he's learned a lot the past couple of years, but man - some of this shit was beyond obvious . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Never hire a mentor (or a friend) as a coordinator.
        Much wisdom in this . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

[/B][/U]

Rhetorical question I'm sure, but . . . . . . . . . . . . . NO.

Most all here know I don't think much of Staley as a HC (or a DC for that matter). Part of my disappointment with him is exactly this. Either Staley didn't have the balls to TELL Lombardi what to do, and / or fire him when he didn't comply, or he didn't have the knowledge to adequately direct him. Either way - not good. The HC is the Captain - he's supposed to be making sure the 'ship' is functioning at max efficiency - how he allowed the offense to deteriorate to the point it did is beyond me.

I doubt if Andy Reid tells Steve Spagnuolo what to do on defense... even though Chiefs defense is only average.
          If Staley starts telling Kellen Moore what to do on offense next year... then your fears about Staley can be confirmed.
          Nobody needs the waiter telling the chef how to cook.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I doubt if Andy Reid tells Steve Spagnuolo what to do on defense... even though Chiefs defense is only average.
            If Staley starts telling Kellen Moore what to do on offense next year... then your fears about Staley can be confirmed.
            I doubt if Reid would put up with or ignore Spagnuolo routinely screwing up either.

Even if the HC doesn't have the expertise (personally) to fix the problem, he still has the responsibility to resolve it, because he is the leader of the team. He can elevate someone else in the organization to the position in hopes of improvement, he can go outside the organization for a replacement, he can kick the ass of the offender until he improves his performance, etc. (in my career I've done all three at various times ).

What he cannot do is condone ineptitude, lack of effort, and failure, ie; stand by and do nothing and hope it gets better . . . . . . . . . that's how leaders become unemployed leaders . . . . . . .

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

I understand what you're saying, but IF this is true then one of 3 things happened; Staley either 1) didn't understand what being a HC means when he took the job, or 2) he was unable to recognize that things were not going well (how could that possibly be?), or 3) he was unable to correct the mistakes being made due to lack of knowledge, ability or an overabundance of loyalty. ANY of these 3 things should be considered fatal flaws in a person in a leadership position.

I'm sure he's learned a lot the past couple of years, but man - some of this shit was beyond obvious . . . . . . . . . . .
              Agreed, especially in the bolded.
              make or break season.
              Get cha popkern ready.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

100 percent. Can't be over stated, that BS is on BS.

Similarly under McCoy, newly aquired Jarret Johnson also had a visceral reaction when he came over from the Raven organization as a free agent.
                Our veteran leader Shaun Phillips was trying to convince JJ that they finished their first exercise in practice and now it was "time to chill" I believe was the quote I heard.
                JJ was new and not really in position to vocalize his disdain for the lazy attitude so instead decided to do laps between exercises and thus lead by example.

One of my fav Charger FAs
                That was a Norvel Turner practice: JJ came in during Norv's last year.
                Norvell's country club atmosphere only roused itself to get on the back of rookies.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Reid coulda won the SB with Chad Henne at QB, 10 rookies, no vet starting OL, WRs, TEs or RBs. Staley's just a wimp. Everyone knows players don't matter.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I doubt if Reid would put up with or ignore Spagnuolo routinely screwing up either.

Even if the HC doesn't have the expertise (personally) to fix the problem, he still has the responsibility to resolve it, because he is the leader of the team. He can elevate someone else in the organization to the position in hopes of improvement, he can go outside the organization for a replacement, he can kick the ass of the offender until he improves his performance, etc. (in my career I've done all three at various times ).

What he cannot do is condone ineptitude, lack of effort, and failure, ie; stand by and do nothing and hope it gets better . . . . . . . . . that's how leaders become unemployed leaders . . . . . . .
                    Well, he fired him and hired Moore —- that kind of looks like not condoning it and fixing it to some. Going outside for a new coordinator in the middle of the season is a huge risk, whats step 2 after that, install an entirely new offense mid-season? Wait for the outside guy to learn the system that the players all know and hope, what, that he’s a better play caller? He fired Lombo at the first appropriate time.

Who did you want him to elevate? Who on the staff is the Great Hidden OC? I get you’re pissed, … still, …, but hasty actions can make things worse. leadership is not hysterical outbursts. Its measured calculated action.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

It depends on the coordinator.

You don't think Payton should tell Lombo what to do?
                      A guy with his limited experience and zero success as an OC?
                      Hell yes! He should have put Lombo in a straight jacket once the guy first entered Donkey head quarters.

From top to bottom, K.C. has by far the best coaching staff in the AFC west.
                      I don't know how Reid spends his time during the week;
                      but i would guess its not wrapped up with the OC and frog boy in the film room all week.
                      If the defense is struggling, then he'll spend more time with Spangoulo bouncing off ideas on how the weeks opponent will attack them.

That's how Staley can help Moore.
                      The offense had its greatest success last year against the Rams.
                      I would guess Staley just wasn't useful the other weeks.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well, he fired him and hired Moore —- that kind of looks like not condoning it and fixing it to some. Going outside for a new coordinator in the middle of the season is a huge risk, whats step 2 after that, install an entirely new offense mid-season? Wait for the outside guy to learn the system that the players all know and hope, what, that he’s a better play caller? He fired Lombo at the first appropriate time.

Who did you want him to elevate? Who on the staff is the Great Hidden OC? I get you’re pissed, … still, …, but hasty actions can make things worse. leadership is not hysterical outbursts. Its measured calculated action.

I can live with this . . . . . . . . . but IMO what I saw was inaction, or (at best) Staley's inability to affect a change in Lombardi's approach, or to demand or somehow extract more creativity from him. In the end it would have been better to have canned Lombardi at mid-season (I would have, once it was clear he wasn't taking direction). The team has (at least) 10 offensive coaches - none of them (or some combination of them) could have replaced Lombardi? I don't believe that for a minute - Lombardi was so bad a random fan out of the stands would have been an improvement.

It is what it is . . . . . . . . . hopefully Moore can carry the ball all by himself (for the offense). It's clear he won't get any help from Staley.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Assuming that Lombardi "routinely screwed up" hardly explains why the Chargers were 3rd in the league in passing... and who would you have "elevated" mid-season? After 2 years, Staley did go "outside the organization" for improvement. Kellen Moore could have any OC position (excluding Dallas)... and he chose to work with Brandon Staley. That hardly suggests that Brandon Staley is a bad leader.

As for your standards per leadership... let's just say, I'm skeptical.
                          I don't think "kicking ass" will make modern-day symposiums' list.
                          Communicator... active listener... collaborator... facilitator... all of these qualities Brandon Staley possess (reportedly).
                          I think players respect him and want to play for him. How else would you explain the multitude of former players that have re-united with him @LAC?
                          Did you really see a lack of effort from players last year? Most teams will fold and quit once the injury bug bites like that. I saw dudes that played hard last year.

Joe Lombardi's offense didn't fit Justin Herbert's strengths... it didn't fit Staley's "Marry the run/pass games" philosophy. Now he's gone... that's all.
                          Both defense and offense were hamstrung with multiple, high-level players:
                          Top 2 WR's out a combined 15 games.
                          Pro Bowl LT out for 15 games.
                          Bosa out for 13 games.
                          JC Jackson out for 13 games.

You're skeptical that injuries are to blame... it's part of the game. But the Chiefs had 1 significant player out (McDuffie) for a grand total of 5 games.
                          But in those 5 games... the Chiefs got out-played by the Chargers, beat by the Colts, had old-man Brady hang 31 on them, barely squeak by the Raiders, and lose to the Bills.

I hope Andy whipped Spags ass for those! He deserved it!

Comment

Working...
                          X