• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Does anyone think Stick is ready to compete for a starting job somewhere next year?
    looking around and I see very bad QB play everyone, especially in the NFC.

If Duggan shows up in the next 2 PS games, maybe we can trade Stick by the trade deadline to set up nicely in the draft. Ala clipboard Jesus.
    I see your point, but I think the team would greatly hesitate to go with a rookie as Herb's backup. Stick's experience makes him a much better asset as a gameday sideline coach for Herb.

Duggan would have to perform out of his mind in the next two games for the idea to have a chance of becoming reality, IMO.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I see your point, but I think the team would greatly hesitate to go with a rookie as Herb's backup. Stick's experience makes him a much better asset as a gameday sideline coach for Herb.

Duggan would have to perform out of his mind in the next two games for the idea to have a chance of becoming reality, IMO.
      I agree - I think odds are close to zero that Stick is not #2 primary backup and closer to zero they trade him and go into the season with only Duggan
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

Just to check my math, 11 defensive linemen had snaps last season for the Chargers: Sebastian Joseph-Day 702, Morgan Fox 576, Austin Johnson 286, Breiden Fehoko 279, Jerry Tillery 190, Otito Ogbonnia 138, Christian Covington 124, Joe Gaziano 114, Christopher Hinton 66, David Moa 38, and Tyeler Davison 34. That's 2547 total snaps played by defensive linemen. Since there were 1047 total defensive snaps last season for the Chargers, that means that 2.43 (2547/1047) defensive linemen played per defensive snap on average last season. In other words, the Chargers had three or more defensive lineman on the field for less than half the snaps.

Source for stats:

I had completely forgotten about Tillery. OTOH, I wish that Fehoko and Gaziano had made it with the Chargers, even though they're both one-dimentional players.
        I loved the effort these guys showed, but if the Bolts' defense was going to improve, they needed to be upgraded over. Otito, Jarrod Clark, and Scott Matlock are among the guys being looked to, to accomplish this.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

If JC can return to form, this unlocks our defense and puts us in a great spot. I hope he can. 2 big db on the outside, locking ppl up!!! All day please.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

I don’t get why then they wasted a pick on Duggan, if they need more depth elsewhere? Rule change (carrying 3rd QB) fact QB is most important position and he’s not costing much, leans me in other direction.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

I don’t get why then they wasted a pick on Duggan, if they need more depth elsewhere? Rule change (carrying 3rd QB) fact QB is most important position and he’s not costing much, leans me in other direction.
              Protected player on the practice squad. No?
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I don’t know why either, though I don’t really put any value in the last R7 pick anyway, he wasn’t getting drafted and I don’t know he’s close to the best available NCAA QB at that point. I am gonna try to trust in the staff but I am doubting it

It’s always interesting how often the R7 pick can’t play NFL but one or two UDFAs make the squad. I guess its just a numbers game - if they had 10 R7 picks, they’d get the same odds of a couple working out as from 10 UDFAs.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Maybe they wanted to use Carrothead to light a fire under Stick...Easton looked inconsistent in preseason games last year...looked MUCH better vs. Rams...now, let's see if he shows the same in next two PS games...

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

I loved the effort these guys showed, but if the Bolts' defense was going to improve, they needed to be upgraded over. Otito, Jarrod Clark, and Scott Matlock are among the guys being looked to, to accomplish this.

Oh, I know ... I'm just kind of bummed that a couple of players I liked weren't able to stick with the team.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      its 4 players they can protect, they can pick different 4 players every week, on Tuesday I think. No idea why Tuesday.
                      It gives other teams an opportunity to sign anyone off another team's practice squad until Tuesday, when four players can be protected.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

CJ Okoye becoming a media darling.

Slide to 6:35

Slide to 3:50 - some very interesting information...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          CJ Okoye becoming a media darling.
                          Amazing story...we're all rooting for CJ...if he continues to produce even at a moderate level, I see a biopic coming...

Comment

Working...
                          X