• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I never get tired of you, brother. Is THAT how you read that?
    Yes . . . . . . . . apologies if I mis-interpreted your meaning.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didnt request you stop . We’ve got nothing better to talk about.

I agree Lombo was unable to adjust to opponent halftime adjustments too often in 2022. I think that’s a big part of why he was fired. I do wonder why you think it’s as simple as 2022 coaches had 2021 tape to understand his tendencies. If thats the case, why they didn’t also shut him down in the first half? Their 2021 tape analysis couldnt figure out what does in the first half, but could figure out what he does in the second half?

That doesnt seem logical. Or perhaps, a counter-thesis - they adjusted in the second half to what he just did in the prior 30 minutes, not the prior year. He was too fucking dense to do something different in the 2nd half from what he did in the 1st half.

Truth! Training camp cannot come soon enough - this is the worst time of the sports year; hockey and BB are over, the NFL hasn't started yet, and we're left with (ugh) mid-season baseball, golf and soccer??? The horror!!

You may be right. At any rate there's no doubt we didn't adjust well in 2nd halves. I think coaching at the NFL level requires a high degree of intelligence - Lombardi was probably smart enough to figure it out, my hypothesis was that he was too stubborn (and arrogant) to change his plans, you know; 'my way is the best way, your just not doing it properly! We're going to keep doing it until it works!'.

This condition is an affliction that coaches are particularly prone to contract, and has cost more than a few their jobs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Truth! Training camp cannot come soon enough - this is the worst time of the sports year; hockey and BB are over, the NFL hasn't started yet, and we're left with (ugh) mid-season baseball, golf and soccer??? The horror!!

You may be right. At any rate there's no doubt we didn't adjust well in 2nd halves. I think coaching at the NFL level requires a high degree of intelligence - Lombardi was probably smart enough to figure it out, my hypothesis was that he was too stubborn (and arrogant) to change his plans, you know; 'my way is the best way, your just not doing it properly! We're going to keep doing it until it works!'.

This condition is an affliction that coaches are particularly prone to contract, and has cost more than a few their jobs.
        Einstein's definition of insanity defense?

I never bothered to figure what the defenses were doing differently in the 3rd quarter, and neither did Lombo.
        I guess the Charger offense just got use to it, and finally ground out points in the 4rth quarter.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Agree also - i think there’s calculation-smart, book-smart, but it also takes creativity (which is more art than science) to deploy unexpected innovative surprises. I think he was just not creatively curious or innovative, he was stuck in the rut of what he was.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

[B]I meant that everyone's passing yardage is up these days, and that yardage in and of itself doesn't necessarily indicate a quality offense.[/B]

Injuries were definitely a part of our issues last year - I would hope that our coaching staff could help minimize their impacts, but IMO they didn't, and I'm not willing to give them a free pass on it - they get paid (very well) to adjust. Note that I said 'minimize', not 'eliminate' - I don't expect 2nd line players to replicate the production of 1st line players, I do expect the coaches to close the gap though. TT also shares responsibility for the lack of (talented) depth.

I'm hoping for better this year . . . . . . . we'll see
            Really...? Because I'm looking at 2022's top-10 passing teams... and see 10 playoff teams.
            Then I look at the NFL's 2022 bottom-10 passing teams... and I see 1 playoff team (Giants).

And injuries play a role... just ask the Chiefs about their humiliating SB loss in 2020.
            And before you tell me that every team has injuries they have to deal with... no they don't.
            Chiefs lost 1 significant player last year (McDuffie) for 5 games... and played like shit during that span.
            Clyde Edwards-Helaire missed some games... but that has been par-for-th-course for that guy.
            And did I mention...? It's a passing league, now.

Not only did the coaches "close the gap" last year... they somehow "plugged the gaping hole" that was our WR corps and DL corps.
            Every team adjusts to 1 (maybe even 2) injuries at one position. But 3 (or 4) significant injuries to 2 different positions...? I bet you won't find that.

Speaking of bets... I'm having a lot of fun shopping for your next avatar!

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Really...? Because I'm looking at 2022's top-10 passing teams... and see 10 playoff teams.
              Then I look at the NFL's 2022 bottom-10 passing teams... and I see 1 playoff team (Giants).

And injuries play a role... just ask the Chiefs about their humiliating SB loss in 2020.
              And before you tell me that every team has injuries they have to deal with... no they don't.

Chiefs lost 1 significant player last year (McDuffie) for 5 games... and played like shit during that span.
              Clyde Edwards-Helaire missed some games... but that has been par-for-th-course for that guy.

Not only did the coaches "close the gap" last year... they somehow "plugged the gaping hole" that was our WR corps and DL corps.
              Every team adjusts to 1 (maybe even 2) injuries at one position. But 3 (or 4) significant injuries to 2 different positions...? I bet you won't find that.

They had some average wide outs miss the playoffs (they were deep with average wide outs),
              and Mahomes had the sprained ankle; but the ankle didn't affect him greatly after the Jaguar game ..... and the Jaguars were light weights.

Cincy had both starting OTs out.

What is it about the Chiefs? Every year they are among the healthiest teams in the league: year after fucking year (save their Super Bowl beat down year).

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Don't get too far ahead of yourself kemo sabe! I've been window shopping as well . . . . . . . . . good stuff out there !

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

They had some average wide outs miss the playoffs (they were deep with average wide outs),
                  and Mahomes had the sprained ankle; but the ankle didn't affect him greatly after the Jaguar game
                  ..... and the Jaguars were light weights.

Cincy had both starting OTs out.

What is it about the Chiefs? Every year they are among the healthiest teams in the league: year after fucking year (save their Super Bowl beat down year).
                  The Chiefs offense is successful because they have a strong OL. That's why they got humiliated in 2020 Super Bowl (both OT's out).
                  The Chiefs offense is successful (despite interchangeable WR's) because Mahommes greatness and Andy Reid's play-design.
                  Even with Mahommes hobbled, WR's were getting open because of play-design. How the hell does Kelce get so open (despite his #1 status)...? Play design.

After having horrible OL depth over the last 5 years... the Bengals finally got smart and brought in FA OL (Karas, Collins, Scharping) and drafted some sneaky good OL with OG/OT flexibility (Cordell Vollson and Carmen Jackson). With a rain/ice slickened surface, they kept their offense balanced (34 rushes/36 passes) and got out to an early lead. Bills had to respond with a pass-happy offense (19 rushes/42 pass attempts). Josh Allen was their leading rusher (8 attempts, 26 yards). Weather re-schedules, the Hamlin injury distraction, and bad game planning made for a bad mixture for Buffalo.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

[/B][/U]

Don't get too far ahead of yourself kemo sabe! I've been window shopping as well . . . . . . . . . good stuff out there !
                    Debbie Downer avatars have taken the early lead...
                    Lefty visits the Happiest Place On Earth (TPB)...
                    An Ohio family's visit to Disney World is ruined when Debbie Downer (Rachel Dratch) only discusses depressing topics. With Lindsay Lohan, Jimmy Fallon, Fred ...

It's all in fun fun, Lefty. I know you're a skeptic.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If it was just attributable to injuries, why was our offense potent in the 2nd quarter and impotent in the 3rd
                      We were NFL #1 4th quarter scoring offense in 2021, 25th in 2022 gives rise to that opinion. I agree that being consistently lousy in the 3rd falls on Lombardi.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Debbie Downer avatars have taken the early lead...
                        Lefty visits the Happiest Place On Earth (TPB)...
                        An Ohio family's visit to Disney World is ruined when Debbie Downer (Rachel Dratch) only discusses depressing topics. With Lindsay Lohan, Jimmy Fallon, Fred ...

It's all in fun fun, Lefty. I know you're a skeptic.
                        A skeptic is simply a realistic optimist . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Solid concise arguments - won't sway skeptics but thats ok.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X