• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Remember we said this about a guy named Pipkins once. Maybe lightning strikes twice.....Camp will tell......
    don’t make the mistake of thinking jaimes can become the next trey pipkins, with pipkins we saw the agility combined with the size, but he was really raw technique wise, BUT we saw the tools where there just waiting to be unlocked…that’s not jaimes…​
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Even if they retain pipkins, we still need more depth on the O-line, they need to finish building that group…linsley is old, slater is coming back from a major injury, fieler should be a cap casualty replaced with salyer, and johnson, that’s it, even IF they resign pipkins there is nothing behind the starting group…so at the bare minimum they need to pick one lineman (IOL or OT) in round 2 or 3…then they need to pick another one late in day 3…the best teams in the NFL consistently invest on OL yearly due to attrition rates playing those positions…
      I think people mention trading back in the first round. But when I look at the Chargers cap and the needs they have - this really could be the year. Now thats with the caveat for the first round is the right player there (meaning explosive fast WR with great hands - but I think the Chargers need depth at

Center - for Linsley
      WR
      TE
      EDge
      more OL depth

So it might make sense to trade back and get another pick or too to plug holes

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

don’t make the mistake of thinking jaimes can become the next trey pipkins, with pipkins we saw the agility combined with the size, but he was really raw technique wise, BUT we saw the tools where there just waiting to be unlocked…that’s not jaimes…​
        Send him to school, keep him through OTA's and camp and then cut him if warranted. There are always a ton of guys that can play G/C cut every day in August. Do a little data mining and find a decent depth replacement.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think people mention trading back in the first round. But when I look at the Chargers cap and the needs they have - this really could be the year. Now thats with the caveat for the first round is the right player there (meaning explosive fast WR with great hands - but I think the Chargers need depth at

Center - for Linsley
          WR
          TE
          EDge
          more OL depth

So it might make sense to trade back and get another pick or too to plug holes
          picking 21 is perfect spot to grab the last of the top tier WR available, that’s been the trend the last few years, OR it could be one of the premium spots to pick the top center coming out in this draft…I would hate them trading back because 21 will be the tail end of where the last handful of top cluster players will still be available…you never know, someone real nice could fall in the draft, we see it all the time…
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

picking 21 is perfect spot to grab the last of the top tier WR available, that’s been the trend the last few years, OR it could be one of the premium spots to pick the top center coming out in this draft…I would hate them trading back because 21 will be the tail end of where the last handful of top cluster players will still be available…you never know, someone real nice could fall in the draft, we see it all the time…
            I always throw in that caveat of course -- but the needs are there thats for sure.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

I don’t think the chargers have a ton of holes unless they create some new ones by letting established, home grown, young talent walk in FA….the priority now should be to keep your established guys (i.e. pipkins and tranquil) and build quality depth behind them…

Comment

• SK21209
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2020
                • San Diego
                • Send PM

I think trading up should be a consideration tbh (although I've barely gotten into the draft). TE Michael Mayer is being mocked to Green Bay at 15 a lot, if we want him we'll probably have to at least get up to 14 (which happens to be the Patriots who love to trade down). Quentin Johnson, Jordin Addison, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Jalin Hyatt are the four receivers I'm seeing consistently mocked in the first round and often in the 20s, but those guys will probably rise up the draft board so I'd be fine trading up a few slots to get the one we want. Apparently this class is pretty deep at EDGE, that's where I'd want to go in Round 2.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                  The need for speed/explosiveness in the receiving corps is obvious but will be hard to address. Keenan and Mike each make $20 million and are too important to just cut with no clear plan to replace them. Palmer is okay, he'll be back next year, so now you're talking about needing to add speed/explosiveness while in all likelihood having 3 of the same top 4 receivers. Guyton will be back, so it might just be trying to upgrade on DeAndre Carter. I agree with 21 that something like Metcalf for Williams/picks would be great but trades like that never happen in the NFL. The likely choice to me is spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a receiver that ultimately replaces Keenan as soon as 2024.

EDGE is the next big need IMO, we desperately need a viable third pass rusher to spell Bosa and Mack. Bosa obviously missed most of this year but in the three previous seasons he played 16, 10 and 16 games. I'm not worried about Bosa, guys like TJ Watt, Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa have all missed some significant time over the last few years. It just happens. Mack started off the season really strong but obviously wore down while Bosa was out. KVN came on toward the end but you can't rely on him as a passrusher at this stage of his career. Rumph sucks. Look at the Eagles and Niners, they have the top-end talent but also depth along the defensive line that is crucial to holding leads when opponents are dropping back every single play.

Those two are the big areas to address for me. CB is a bit of a mystery box with JC's injury, hopefully we can keep Callahan around. I'd also like to get some veteran help at LB, I've given up on Murray improving substantially and we need better play there if we're going to stick with the Staley/Fangio split-safety scheme.
                  There were street free agents or practice squad players available the entire offseason that could have addressed those needs. Desean Jackson is still one of the faster deep ball receivers and was unsigned most of the year. T-Billy spent most of the season on practice squads. Latavius Murray is exactly the type of back this offense needs and was a free agent the entire year until Denver got him and he played really good football.

The important thing isn't who you sign, it's that you recognize you have a problem and plan to address it.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ente1 View Post
                    While this is the 2023 roster build thread, I think there must be consideration given to the salary cap for this coming year. It appears that the Chargers will be over the cap by 30+ million dollars with the current roster. Consideration must be given to reducing that cost by either cutting players or reducing their contracts. Only then can we start building.
                    That's just an excuse. It's too easy to create cap space. This article uses the Browns as an example but shows how absurdly easy it is for them to create nearly $100m in cap space:

Restructuring Bosa & Mack would leave plenty of room.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I will, by getting Herbert a right tackle that can stay on the field. Then, DT to shore up the run game. DT comes first. Then WR. Then, RT. Then TE.
                      Resign Pipkins, then we have our starting 5 for next year. A 1st round OL will get little playing time baring a lot of injuries in that scenario. A speed WR will get lots of playing time, maybe more than any other position on team.

Round 2 for an OL, I'm good. But I'd prefer Edge since Bosa/Mack are getting old. Round 2 & 3 should be BPA with a bias towards falling linemen though.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

I don’t think the chargers have a ton of holes unless they create some new ones by letting established, home grown, young talent walk in FA….the priority now should be to keep your established guys (i.e. pipkins and tranquil) and build quality depth behind them…
                        Depends what you mean by holes. Our WR core is suspect. Allen getting older, MW more injuries. The other guys are just guys. O line has not jelled.
                        Can't run the football and suspect at pass protection. TE position is average, we could use an upgrade there. RBs are easy to find so I won't go there.
                        On defense we need a safety. Our D line is a mess. We need to upgrade our DTs and LBs. Lots of teams are going with 3 WR forcing a lot of downs
                        with 5 DBs. Leaving two LBs which are not getting the job done. On top of this if we keep core players we would be over the cap. So lots of new
                        faces coming. Not to mention we had trouble getting pressure on QBs when needed most. So we have to see if Bosa is up to the task. The way I
                        see it, next year looks really shaky. New OC coming, no cap space, defense a big problem and looks like a very difficult schedule compared to the
                        softy we had this year.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

I'd prioritize keeping Van Noy as he's the best rusher on this team and a playoff stud. Bosa isn't going anywhere but should be restructured. Mack should probably take a pay cut but definitely restructured at the least.

Keenan Allen is worth about half his 2023 cap hit. He'll need to take a pay cut.

I'd try to bring back Tranquil, Callahan & Pipkins

There's not any need for splash free agent signings IMO, just try to retain a few guys and have a good draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X