• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Allen will be lucky to get around $8-$10 mil on the open market. The Jarvis Landry situation and contract last year is a good comparison. Landry was also 30, coming off injuries, is the same type of receiver - always caught a lot of balls but isn't a speed guy. He was due $15mm Cleveland and they wanted him to take less money. He didn't budge, they cut him, and he ended up signing for the Saints for $3mil on a 1 year deal.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
      Allen will be lucky to get around $8-$10 mil on the open market. The Jarvis Landry situation and contract last year is a good comparison. Landry was also 30, coming off injuries, is the same type of receiver - always caught a lot of balls but isn't a speed guy. He was due $15mm Cleveland and they wanted him to take less money. He didn't budge, they cut him, and he ended up signing for the Saints for $3mil on a 1 year deal.
      I think Allen is better than Landry but thats a good comp to him

My figure for Keenan Would be his current $3.5m roster bonus; maybe another $6.5m in signing bonus - which if pushed out by 4 years - would be a cap hit of 1.6 -with his current dead cap, his cash would be $10m but his cap hit would be 3.5+1.6+2.7 - so under 9m - or a savings of $13m. Dead cap in 2024 would be like $7.5m - so manageable

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I know I have been in the cut Allen camp - but its just because making a trade is harder than cutting Allen
        That said - if they can keep Allen and get a decent return for Bosa - thats why

Granted, we are trusting Telesco to make the right moves
        We need speed at WR, If you can't trade Allen you cut him, it makes sense, he is older now and we can replace him with speed!!!!! Last season we traded a 2nd for Mack how about this season we trade a 2nd for DK Metcalf or trade Allen and a 3rd for a player like DK????????? I'm unsure if Addison will be on the board when we draft! I also think Jalen Guyton if he comes back healthy could be a good option to play a bigger role in place of Allen. Love Allen but his hamstring and this type of thing is worrisome.

Allen has 752 yards with 4 TDS.... Sorry that ain't good enough for what we pay him as our #1. Its pretty obvious. If Mayer is on the board its a no brainer to cut Gerald Evertt and draft this TE as our new starter if he's there at our pick.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

The people with encumbering contracts are also the leaders that are involved in building the winning culture.

Has enough of that rubbed off on young, developing players ?

There is a plan, one with numerous preferences and contingencies.

Let it unfold.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            The people with encumbering contracts are also the leaders that are involved in building the winning culture.

Let it unfold.
            No plan at this point, last season’s plan crashed and burned. Now it’s just a scramble, be interesting to see how it turns out.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

We need speed at WR, If you can't trade Allen you cut him, it makes sense, he is older now and we can replace him with speed!!!!! Last season we traded a 2nd for Mack how about this season we trade a 2nd for DK Metcalf or trade Allen and a 3rd for a player like DK????????? I'm unsure if Addison will be on the board when we draft! I also think Jalen Guyton if he comes back healthy could be a good option to play a bigger role in place of Allen. Love Allen but his hamstring and this type of thing is worrisome.

Allen has 752 yards with 4 TDS.... Sorry that ain't good enough for what we pay him as our #1. Its pretty obvious.
              100+ catches for 1,000+ yards is his norm. You are quoting one season when he missed 7 games with injury.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

No plan at this point, last season’s plan crashed and burned. Now it’s just a scramble, be interesting to see how it turns out.

"All In" didn't mean forever all is lost if no SB 2022.
                Guaranteed Telesco and 25 year vet Ed McGuire had and have a plan going forward.
                Staley is starting his 2023 plan with the quality young vet OC.
                It will be interesting, agreed.
                Looking forward to see how they manage FA & draft.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

100+ catches for 1,000+ yards is his norm. You are quoting one season when he missed 7 games with injury.
                  https://www.nfl.com/players/keenan-allen/stats/career
                  Read the following and let me know how old Allen will be the start of next season:

It’s clear that peak seasons are less likely to take place after turning 30 – definitely past the peak age for an NFL wide receiver. For most receivers, the wheels start falling off shortly thereafter.

Having a WR this age on your roster as your #1 isn't too smart and I doubt Staley can make such a gamble when his job is on the line this season and he's on such a short leash. His margin for error as a HC this coming season is definitely small! If you could up grade with Speed at WR I'd pull the trigger on that! Doubt Jordan Addison will be there at our pick, but if his speed is 4.39 coupled with his talent I'd take him over Allen at this point starting opposite Mike WIlliams.
                  Last edited by electricgold; 02-06-2023, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

"All In" didn't mean forever all is lost if no SB 2022.
                    Guaranteed Telesco and 25 year vet Ed McGuire had and have a plan going forward.
                    Staley is starting his 2023 plan with the quality young vet OC.
                    It will be interesting, agreed.
                    Looking forward to see how they manage FA & draft.
                    Posters get indignant and presume they are owed an explanation NOW. The plan is being finalized as we foment, type and read.

Don't give player agents intel that would allow them leverage in contracts. Don't share the Charger Big Board with other teams LOL.

Check your NFL calendar. Give it time.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

This is a mess. Thanks TT. That is why you never pay big money for WR, DB or RB. Money needs to go in the OL and DL. JC and MW contracts from last year are hurting our chances to win the big one. That is why the draft is so important financially,
                      Yup. 2023 is already a throwaway season. 3-14 sounds about right. Aging vets with big cap hits; no money to pursue quality FAs; low draft choices. A complete clusterfuck. Oh, and Staley & Telesco still running the asylum. Can an offseason start off any worse? Best thing for the Chargers to do is go into full rebuild mode. Cut Allen, Mack, Everett, Feiler and 3-4 others, trade Bosa while he has value, take it on the chin in '23, fire Telesco, Staley, and the rest of the coaching staff as soon as the season is over and TRY (against all hope, probably, with the Span-Asses running the show) to do it right next time.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

You really don’t think bosa would have a market? His PFF stats alone in regards to pressures would net the chargers two early picks in the next couple of drafts, maybe a 2 this year and a 2 next, I’m speculating about compensation but I do think there would be a market he’s under 30 and signed thru 2025, plus the chargers have already paid the bulk of his deal…I think his market would be a lot bigger one than keenan’s, even tho to us keenan is actually more valuable in 2023…
                        Melvin Ingram got a lot of pressures too . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Let it unfold.
                          Can't let this one slide . . . Bosa as a leader? Helping to build a winning culture??? We want out young players to emulate him????? C'mon man. Mack, Allen, even Derwin - OK but not Joey. He's basically the poster child for how NOT to act . . . .

As was posted earlier, IMO trading Bosa is the best first step in the resolution to our cap issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X