• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If you truly are looking at the cap year to year and not in 3 to 5 year blocks - I think you are doing it wrong
    There’s no reason to think they don’t have a plan beyond one year. We just have not seen it yet, is my opinion.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

There’s no reason to think they don’t have a plan beyond one year. We just have not seen it yet, is my opinion.
      I am sure the Chargers have a plan - my thought was more in general. Like the Saints or Rams - they can't do what they do in a vacuum of one year at a time - has to have a multi-year plan

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

K.Allen game is about savvy route running. Find holes in zone. Does quite a bit of his work from the slot. I don't see him slowing down his ability to get open underneath. He is worth of an extension.

K.Mack is a outstanding veteran who has started every game in 7 of 9 seasons. He is worth an extension.

Hopkins and Feiler can be cut in favor of young talent that played well last year. Dicker and Salyer.

Bosa should be traded. He is still young and talented and should provide a decent return. But he has the Chargering stink all over him. Statement after playoff loss about being worried about blowing the lead before it even happened. Why is he thinking that way and stinking up the sideline. Then he goes and makes dumb plays to manifest his fears. I don't want it on the team. Go ball out and dominate the game. Dont blame the refs. Dont line up offside, dont throw a tantrum. In the biggest game of the year and this is what shows up on GameDay. Unacceptable. There are plenty of edge players in UFA that would be cheaper and give production. And they likely could add two for cheap if they wanted and have better depth.

Van Noy should be resigned. Would you believe he has 16 sacks over last 3 years. And Joey Bosa has 20 sacks over 3 years.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Wow . . . . I don't think it's quite THAT bad
          In fact, it is. We're in rinse and repeat mode...have been since forever. Keep doing the same things and expecting a different result. Look up the definition of insanity and you'd find a Charger team picture. I don't care how many different colored lipsticks they buy, you'll still trying to make an ugly pig look less ugly. And less ugly pigs don't win Super Bowls.

There are few 'foundational' players you build around: Herbie, Slater, Zion, Davis, ASJ, Josepy-Day, maybe 1 or 2 more. After that EVERYONE is expendable. You don't extend/restructure people like Mack, or Linsley, or KA because they won't be around when the new regime is poised for a SB run and you're just perpetuating the salary cap issues that we're facing today. Top talents like James and Bosa are probably at their highest marketability NOW, so you nut up, take it in the shorts for a year or two, and come out the other side with a product - from the GM, to the coaching staff, to the players - that's ready to compete for a SB.

Or, you can continue to pull out the lipstick, pretend that you're just 'a player or two away' from going the distance, and perpetuate the culture of losing that has exemplified this organization since the 1960s.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

This idea of getting rid of Keenan Allen in the prime of his career makes no sense. He will likely have his best year ever at age 31. Like Tim Brown did and Steve Largest did. Jerry Rice age 31,32,33 was as good as it gets. Allen like these Hall of Famers is outstanding route runner and knows how to get open underneath. He makes Herbert life much much easier.

Bosa even though in his prime and still young. I think he played his way onto the trading block with his performance and behavior. I'm good with moving on from him. But Allen. No way. 100 catches next year. I'm more confident I get that from Allen than 10sacks from Bosa. I'd bet on Keenan. You can bet on Bosa.

Comment

• lightsout42
              Hire a winning coach
              • Oct 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
              K.Allen game is about savvy route running. Find holes in zone. Does quite a bit of his work from the slot. I don't see him slowing down his ability to get open underneath. He is worth of an extension.

K.Mack is a outstanding veteran who has started every game in 7 of 9 seasons. He is worth an extension.

Hopkins and Feiler can be cut in favor of young talent that played well last year. Dicker and Salyer.

Bosa should be traded. He is still young and talented and should provide a decent return. But he has the Chargering stink all over him. Statement after playoff loss about being worried about blowing the lead before it even happened. Why is he thinking that way and stinking up the sideline. Then he goes and makes dumb plays to manifest his fears. I don't want it on the team. Go ball out and dominate the game. Dont blame the refs. Dont line up offside, dont throw a tantrum. In the biggest game of the year and this is what shows up on GameDay. Unacceptable. There are plenty of edge players in UFA that would be cheaper and give production. And they likely could add two for cheap if they wanted and have better depth.

Van Noy should be resigned. Would you believe he has 16 sacks over last 3 years. And Joey Bosa has 20 sacks over 3 years.

Despite our prior differences of opinion, I agree with you completely on these things and wanted to again point out that even people who sometimes disagree often have much in common.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Too much single-trait scouting going on.

There are several round one WRs/TEs.

This shit is right there with arm length.

This is 2023.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                  Social Piranha
                  • May 2022
                  • Flyover, USA
                  • Send PM

This idea of getting rid of Keenan Allen in the prime of his career makes no sense. He will likely have his best year ever at age 31. Like Tim Brown did and Steve Largest did. Jerry Rice age 31,32,33 was as good as it gets. Allen like these Hall of Famers is outstanding route runner and knows how to get open underneath. He makes Herbert life much much easier.

Bosa even though in his prime and still young. I think he played his way onto the trading block with his performance and behavior. I'm good with moving on from him. But Allen. No way. 100 catches next year. I'm more confident I get that from Allen than 10sacks from Bosa. I'd bet on Keenan. You can bet on Bosa.
                  Sure, but Bosa’s contract makes him damn hard to move. Cutting (or trading) Keenan appears to be the only way out of their dire cap situation - and that still wouldn’t get them under. I truly hope there’s another way, but it sure doesn’t look good. Someone has to go.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

Sure, but Bosa’s contract makes him damn hard to move. Cutting (or trading) Keenan appears to be the only way out of their dire cap situation - and that still wouldn’t get them under. I truly hope there’s another way, but it sure doesn’t look good. Someone has to go.
                    The Bears have plenty of cap space to add him. Plus they ranked dead last in pressure rate last year. So they have a huge need to get better on the edge. I'd call them first.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

The Bears have plenty of cap space to add him. Plus they ranked dead last in pressure rate last year. So they have a huge need to get better on the edge. I'd call them first.
                      He does call himself the big bear

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        It's about to get real, richpjr.
                        I know you can handle it.
                        Definitely worried about others.
                        I am actually excited about the upcoming season. We have some difficult decisions to make on a few players and won't be big spenders in free agency but a more aggressive OC with a healthy Herbert and a young improving offensive line will be a big improvement by itself. Not going to hide under my bed sucking my thumb curled in a fetal position because the Broncos hired Payton. You want to be the best, you gotta beat the best as the corny old saying goes. Bring it on!

Comment

• C'monchargers
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Seeing a lot of disapproval for Bosa reading back in recent pages. Also, the cap issue that inevitably needs some maneuvering; and of course more protection for Herbert. For those who think Bosa is no longer needed has 4 options:Eat it, Restructure, Cut him or Trade him. Let's say eating it is already the plan, restructuring is really only up to him and only of hypotheticals. Well cutting him still cost, that leaves trading. You either trade for draft pick and I can imagine team would have to dig deep to trade away top pick/picks here to take on a big contract, unless they are one piece away from really putting them over the top. Other option is trade for another player, I can think of one name that match the pedegree and circumstances that would consider a worthy trade. I wouldn't think Quenton Nelson would ever be traded away and still don't, but at this point colts is under a rebuilt and who knows what kind of scheme they are going to run and might want to move that 20mil of Quenton Nelson contract money else where that is more needed. Both had a down year, Nelson had a dropped off year after the big contract, much like Bosa. Both were high draft pick and highly regarded in their position. Perhaps one might argue each of them might need a change of scenery to give it a fresh start.

For Nelson, motivation wise realistically what Nelson and the colts are really playing for? Jonathan Taylor's ankle problems and the passing game was meh, if one needed to be motivated other than money, got to at least have somthing to play for and a legit dude for him to block for. Not saying he is not a professional but who doesn't want to wake up to work with some extra motivation and incentives. I find it a bit tough to believe he just all of a sudden fell off and going to just fade away. He was a top notch guard since who knows when, you are talking about a guy that looks like the star in Mike McGlichey's game tape from Notre Dame. He might just need a change of scenery and a guy like Herbert to block for to get him fired up again.

For Bosa, it's no arguing about his talent. When he is on his game, he is a game wrecker and very versatile. That said, looking at his game play, he often line up standing up. IMO his most natural position is play more of the 4-3 DE position. 3-4 outside linebackers lined up standing up so that they have more freedom in just flipped the hip and change the angle of attack. That is not Joey's strength. He can play on the other side but we have signed a 4-3 DE on the other end that is play very well there in Mack. I am sure the plan was trying to use Bosa's versatility to line up everywhere to create mismatch. Which in theory is a good plan but when he got hurt, they had Van Noy take on a lot of the outside resposibility and it worked. Having both Mack and Van Noy just play to thier natural position they played the outside pretty well and perhaps not a shabby comparison to the version with Joey Bosa lined up everywhere.

Bosa cap hit I believe is about 31mil and Quenton is about 20mil. I can't even imagine what other addition would make it a fair deal. Perhpas adding a 4th to swap the 2nd round?? IDK just off the top of my head. Also that would give the Chargers more option in the draft and that's ideal for teams who draft in the back end. Also the flexibility to see what they are going to do with Feiler since the guard position is filled. Definitely something that came to mind given the needs.

Comment

Working...
                          X