• Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

So basically you want Khalil Mack to go from 23m in salary in 2024 to
    21m signing bonus spread over 3 years
    and 5m in 2024 and 2025

Thats a pay cut for Khalil Mack. Which if he takes your deal -- I would keep him around
    In his last 4 years in Chicago, he averaged $16.6 million AAV.
    In his 2 years here, he averaged $12.7 million AAV.
    I'm suggesting $16 million AAV.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

BTW...

Using OverTheCap Salary/Cap calculator...

Re-structured Mack and Keenan
      Traded Bosa and MW
      Cut Linsley but signed Connor Williams
      Retained ERFA's Layne, Dicker, Sarrell
      Extended/Re-signed Nick Williams, Bassey, Clapp, Grier, Kelley, and Gilman
      Have 53 on my roster (9 of those being draft picks)
      And have $27.4 cap space to sign draftees/in-season signings
      Have $103 million 2025 cap space
      Have $146 million 2026 cap space

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        BTW...

Traded Bosa and MW
        Preach it.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

BTW...

Traded Bosa and MW
          Agree with all, but remember, Mack only has one year left on his deal...and he's due a nice fat $17 mil (base salary) payout for next year, then he's a FA. What motivation would he have to extend that $17 mil over 2-3 seasons, when he can just sit tight, grab his "bonus" bucks, in one year in essence, then he can either retire or sign with a winning team? Now, if we can get a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for him, I might do that deal...we need PICKS, PICKS, PICKS...

image.png

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree with all, but remember, Mack only has one year left on his deal...and he's due a nice fat $17 mil (base salary) payout for next year, then he's a FA. What motivation would he have to extend that $17 mil over 2-3 seasons, when he can just sit tight, grab his "bonus" bucks, in one year in essence, then he can either retire or sign with a winning team? Now, if we can get a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder for him, I might do that deal...we need PICKS, PICKS, PICKS...

image.png
            Either way, it’s a freaking great deal for us (heck any team would love his production/pay ratio at EDGE).

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

In his last 4 years in Chicago, he averaged $16.6 million AAV.
              In his 2 years here, he averaged $12.7 million AAV.
              I'm suggesting $16 million AAV.
              First off, I think you are wrong about the 15.3m -- I think that number is locked in. So for sure it cannot be divided by three , maybe a June 1 at best. But if you June 1, that means you are releasing him

Second, you think Khalil Mack is going from 23m in one year - granted nothing guaranteed, to $31m for two years.... I just don't see it - but if he wants to sign the contract -- sign me up. My guess, he doesn't

Lastly, I have ZERO idea where you are getting an AAV of $16.3 when he signed a 6 year 141m contract and the only thing left is the $23m in 2024 - so that means his AAV is closer to $23m per year. The Cap hits might have been 16.6 but again, he has a 38m cap hit coming up which will really distort the numbers.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

My bad, you're right. I didn't figure in the $24 million dead cap the bears paid in 2021 or the $15 million still owed by Chargers in 2024 when figuring AAV for Mack.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

My bad, you're right. I didn't figure in the $24 million dead cap the bears paid in 2021 or the $15 million still owed by Chargers in 2024 when figuring AAV for Mack.
                  I will say, if Mack is willing to take something along the lines of your proposal - meaning rip up the $23m this year and go something like this - even a bit higher than yours in year 2 base

21m signing bonus - three years -
                  2024 base salary of 5 - so that means a cap hit of 12 + 15 = so savings of 11m
                  2025 bases salary of 10 -- a cap hit of 7 + 10 - I think thats reasonable for Mack
                  2026: dead cap hit of 7m

If he wants something like an AAV approaching the Von Miller numbers - that might be a bit steep.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

Agree completely with Bolt4Knob on Mack.
                    Chargers are 2 great off seasons away from putting a good young core around Herbert.
                    Prioritize protecting and developing him.
                    1A Bowers/O Line
                    1B Alt or Fashanu/more O Line/TE
                    2 Pass Rush/ Corners

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post
                      Agree completely with Bolt4Knob on Mack.
                      Chargers are 2 great off seasons away from putting a good young core around Herbert.
                      Prioritize protecting and developing him.
                      1A Bowers/O Line
                      1B Alt or Fashanu/more O Line/TE
                      2 Pass Rush/ Corners
                      Mack has had a good year but can't make an emotional decision when they can probably get draft picks for Mack which might help the team longer term. And this is a two year rebuild like you said. And its his choice - if he wants to play for a winner or get the cash - Chargers should be amenable to trading him

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I will say, if Mack is willing to take something along the lines of your proposal - meaning rip up the $23m this year and go something like this - even a bit higher than yours in year 2 base

21m signing bonus - three years -
                        2024 base salary of 5 - so that means a cap hit of 12 + 15 = so savings of 11m
                        2025 bases salary of 10 -- a cap hit of 7 + 10 - I think thats reasonable for Mack
                        2026: dead cap hit of 7m

If he wants something like an AAV approaching the Von Miller numbers - that might be a bit steep.
                        IF we hire Harbaugh, Mack MAY want to stay, but if we dont, i figure he may be leaning on retiring. Just a hunch as he said he almost retired last year after the loss to Jax.

This new HC and GM hires are big for this team. Its hard for me to think who is here or not and how the draft might go till we know and we make a few moves/cuts.....and especially trades. We are projecting but we really dont know.
                        As of now when i do drafts or mocks im assuming we are getting picks for MW and Bosa. Just dont see how we can keep Joey. He misses half the season too often and his cap cant stay.

Change of scenery may do him good. Chubb hasnt been injured in Miami and was in Denver. He needs a grass field like in SF or Carolina, Tampa Bay,....Maybe he would like the frozen Tundra lol.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Mack has had a good year but can't make an emotional decision when they can probably get draft picks for Mack which might help the team longer term. And this is a two year rebuild like you said. And its his choice - if he wants to play for a winner or get the cash - Chargers should be amenable to trading him
                          Whatever they could get for Mack is not going to equal the value of Mack. I like a team with a couple of proven vets around to set the tone for the young players. Mack is the guy that organized the team defense dinners last year that brought everyone together and resulted in better play. He’s like another coach. He’s worth it.

Comment

Working...
                          X