• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

First paragraph very accurately sums up where I'm at with Staley as well. I was on board, and I also was impressed with the way the team leadership managed injury adversity. But all of the nonsense at the end of the season, MW injury, epic collapse, idiotic comments, etc. have really turned me off. I hope Moore can make a difference - ATM that's about all we have to get excited about. Hopefully we can kill it in the draft . . . . .
    This draft is very interesting to me, It’s been a long time since the team had fewer holes to fill, the big thing is to get deeper at OL, Edge, WR, and TE

even if they don’t resign tranquill, this draft is loaded with good linebackers, I can’t say the same for pipkins, I think pipkins is the most important re-sign, hopefully they can get that one done…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

You bring up another interesting point, if re-signings, restructures, and the draft picks skew towards strengthening the offense, that might be a possible indication that the Moore signing was indeed a step to move away from Staley and towards Moore as leader of this team…

I believe the Spanos decision to stick with Staley was based more on the money owed on his contract and less on them viewing him as the long term HC of the Chargers…they’re probably kicking themselves for not having gone with Brian Daboll in 2021 and Moore having a relationship with herbert and being an offensive guy as well is perhaps an autocorrect on the Staley hire…

it makes sense and it always made sense to get an offensive guy for your franchise QB rather than have a revolving door at OC, staley’s hiring of lombo because he was familiar with him personally might’ve been his undoing, he should’ve kept steichen if he was serious about doing what was best for herbert rather than what felt safest for him…the kid is too insecure to admit his shortcomings, why would his hiring practices reflect otherwise?

And that’s why I bought into your theory and like you said he was obsessed with mcvay/shanahan people then BLAM! He hires someone from left field in terms of that offensive system, and someone he has zero ties too, yeah, that doesn’t make sense…a year from now Moore will be the chargers HC…
      Very good point - You may be swaying me towards ownership's direct involvement in Moore's hire. If so - would we have (essentially) dual HC's? I'm not opposed to Moore having as much (or more) influence than Staley, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the thought that ownership may have actually got something right???!!!

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

I'll put a oar in the water on this one; I'm of the belief that this was a Staley hire, because;

1. I don't think ownership is smart enough to set this up, and
        2. Staley knows he's gone anyway if the team doesn't win, he's prioritizing winning as the best way to keep his job, even if Moore is a threat to his position.
        Haha

Good points.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

good info from some Charger fan media vets

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

You bring up another interesting point, if re-signings, restructures, and the draft picks skew towards strengthening the offense, that might be a possible indication that the Moore signing was indeed a step to move away from Staley and towards Moore as leader of this team…

I believe the Spanos decision to stick with Staley was based more on the money owed on his contract and less on them viewing him as the long term HC of the Chargers…they’re probably kicking themselves for not having gone with Brian Daboll in 2021 and Moore having a relationship with herbert and being an offensive guy as well is perhaps an autocorrect on the Staley hire…

it makes sense and it always made sense to get an offensive guy for your franchise QB rather than have a revolving door at OC, staley’s hiring of lombo because he was familiar with him personally might’ve been his undoing, he should’ve kept steichen if he was serious about doing what was best for herbert rather than what felt safest for him…the kid is too insecure to admit his shortcomings, why would his hiring practices reflect otherwise?

And that’s why I bought into your theory and like you said he was obsessed with mcvay/shanahan people then BLAM! He hires someone from left field in terms of that offensive system, and someone he has zero ties too, yeah, that doesn’t make sense…a year from now Moore will be the chargers HC…
            Agreed.
            end of day, I'm sure I'm not alone in not caring who the f ends up as HC, so long as we win, and currently both men are Chargers so it's easy to root for either.
            I'm more worried about Spanos keeping the wrong guy.

I have a strong feeling McCarthy has been out dated and was holding Moore back from a creativity point, now this is all Moore since his only actual-football boss, is a defensive guy.

Staley vs Moore will be very interesting to monitor throughout the season and may end up being a valid talking point to consider because if Moore has leads a top 5 offense, he will be HC somewhere.

Comment

• rensoul
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

This draft is very interesting to me, It’s been a long time since the team had fewer holes to fill, the big thing is to get deeper at OL, Edge, WR, and TE

even if they don’t resign tranquill, this draft is loaded with good linebackers, I can’t say the same for pipkins, I think pipkins is the most important re-sign, hopefully they can get that one done…
              I'd add IDL as a hole if they don't resign Fox. Without him they are very weak in regards to interior pass rushers.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Very good point - You may be swaying me towards ownership's direct involvement in Moore's hire. If so - would we have (essentially) dual HC's? I'm not opposed to Moore having as much (or more) influence than Staley, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my brain around the thought that ownership may have actually got something right???!!!
                it’s not like the spanos haven’t gotten some things right in the past, what’s the saying? Even a broken clock is right twice a day? the main problem with the spanii is that they meddle too much and that they are not rich enough to run the team the way we’d all like…the meddling part is what leads me to believe that they wanted to autocorrect from the staley hire…we’ll know 12 months from now if the Moore hire was his doing or if it was a spanos move…

when the chargers were born, they were the FLAGSHIP franchise of the AFL, they had the richest owner and that’s why they were given the LA market to compete with the rams and the NFL…it breaks my heart that the team has become the red headed step child to the chiefs, raiders, and broncos in the AFC west, I think the spanos moving the team back to LA will be good for the bolts longterm, now they just need the type of ownership that can restore the team to the promise it was meant to have from the very beginning
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I'd add IDL as a hole if they don't resign Fox. Without him they are very weak in regards to interior pass rushers.
                  unfortunately, I think fox is gone, he priced himself out of being brought back…we are also pretty loaded at IDL, johnson, joseph-day, fehoko, obognia, gaziano, hinton, moa are all coming back, the top four guys are locks to make the 2023 roster so that leaves 3 guys battling for the final 2 spots, if they draft another DT it’ll be 3 guys fighting for 1 spot…

the reason why I don’t think they go interior d-line in 2023 is because in my first impressions this doesn’t appear to be a very good class…but who knows, maybe they find a way to keep fox, one can only hope…

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

unfortunately, I think fox is gone, he priced himself out of being brought back…we are also pretty loaded at IDL, johnson, joseph-day, fehoko, obognia, gaziano, hinton, moa are all coming back, the top four guys are locks to make the 2023 roster so that leaves 3 guys battling for the final 2 spots, if they draft another DT it’ll be 3 guys fighting for 1 spot…

the reason why I don’t think they go interior d-line in 2023 is because in my first impressions this doesn’t appear to be a very good class…but who knows, maybe they find a way to keep fox, one can only hope…
                    We can sign Fox and cut all those other guys. Then draft a couple guys and add 1 vet. How's that?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Agreed.
                      end of day, I'm sure I'm not alone in not caring who the f ends up as HC, so long as we win, and currently both men are Chargers so it's easy to root for either.
                      I'm more worried about Spanos keeping the wrong guy.

I have a strong feeling McCarthy has been out dated and was holding Moore back from a creativity point, now this is all Moore since his only actual-football boss, is a defensive guy.

Staley vs Moore will be very interesting to monitor throughout the season and may end up being a valid talking point to consider because if Moore has leads a top 5 offense, he will be HC somewhere.
                      Agreed…and if staley continues to lead a subpar defense why would ownership let moore go somewhere else? Is it just me or is it harder to find solid offensive guys than solid defensive guys?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

it’s not like the spanos haven’t gotten some things right in the past, what’s the saying? Even a broken clock is right twice a day? the main problem with the spanii is that they meddle too much and that they are not rich enough to run the team the way we’d all like…the meddling part is what leads me to believe that they wanted to autocorrect from the staley hire…we’ll know 12 months from now if the Moore hire was his doing or if it was a spanos move…

when the chargers were born, they were the FLAGSHIP franchise of the AFL, they had the richest owner and that’s why they were given the LA market to compete with the rams and the NFL…it breaks my heart that the team has become the red headed step child to the chiefs, raiders, and broncos in the AFC west, I think the spanos moving the team back to LA will be good for the bolts longterm, now they just need the type of ownership that can restore the team to the promise it was meant to have from the very beginning
                        For years lurking on this (and other) Charger forums I've discounted the notion that ownership was a significant factor in the team's failure (or successes) on the field. I felt that they were just an easy target for frustrated fans. After all - the team was spending up to the cap limit, right? But this season (in particular) has brought home to me how important ownership's decisions can be, and the significant impact those decision can have on the field.

I'm hoping for the best for 23 & 24, but what I really hope for is that all this smoke in regards to the Spanos clan's issues has some serious fire under there somewhere, and drives a change - it's sorely needed.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

I really hope for is that all this smoke in regards to the Spanos clan's issues has some serious fire under there somewhere, and drives a change - it's sorely needed.
                          understatement for sure!!! I’ve been fantasizing about new (richer) owners since these uppity mugs bought the team in 1986, even if the chargers haven’t won a superbowl by the time I die, I’d at least die happy if the spanii were no longer running the show…the heck with the move and all that, I’m still holding on to spanos grudges from the 1980s, the classless way that they treated don coryell back in the day set me against them right from the jump…fuck dean spanos!

Comment

Working...
                          X