• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

He won’t last till 21. But I’d be happy with the pick.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Lombardi was a student of offense and had a good basic playbook.
      --but no gift for timing, adjustment or improv.
      Lombardi so confused his qb at Merceyhurst, that he would go to Staley to ask what was going on.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
        Watched PFF guys discuss another sportswriters mock of Quenton Johnston to us in the first.They stated the Bolts could use what Johnston excels at.Got me thinkin...

https://youtu.be/ZSnYi7P5tw4
        Johnston reminds me of TWill in what he would bring to the offense: deep post routes and shallow crossers for lots of YAC. His speed on the field is legit.

Addison, Flowers or Johnston? Somehow, they all would be good, safe, complementary guys, not future pro bowlers.
        That is not in Telesco's DNA.

You can find someone like that in the 2nd round or day 3.
        Wu-dai is probably locking on to one right now in film study as I type.

I have been milling over Nolan Smith as the selection. Why can't the guy, with all that speed, get around the edge?
        It's not like OTs can just sit back and take that away: he prefers going at them. He's unpolished.
        Best right now defending the run.

He's a high upside, high character guy who is already married. That is a TT first round pick type.
        They also have the Kirby Smart connection (like 28 other teams in this league).

Chargers have a big need there: I would bet on Smith right now.
        He'll be in on NASCAR packages and frequently sub for Mack/Bosa during the course of a game to not have them wear out by November/December.
        He'll start 6 - 7 games minimum when they're out.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

He reminds me Von Miller.

Nolan Smith Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            Ted Nguyen and Daniel Popper collaboration gold!

Thanks Xenos! Super helpful. I think the change to Kellen Moore is a positive sign. I can see that his concepts (along with our roster) will elevate the whole team.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Posted in another thread about Smith: no bend, too light to set the edge. Good player but not at 21. Also maybe at or close to his ceiling?

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Johnston reminds me of TWill in what he would bring to the offense: deep post routes and shallow crossers for lots of YAC. His speed on the field is legit.

Addison, Flowers or Johnston? Somehow, they all would be good, safe, complementary guys, not future pro bowlers.
                That is not in Telesco's DNA.

You can find someone like that in the 2nd round or day 3.
                Wu-dai is probably locking on to one right now in film study as I type.
                The thing that I like about this WR class is the depth and the variety. It all depends on what Kellen Moore is looking for...
                Are they looking for route-runners and zone busters...?
                Are they looking for seam busters and field stretchers...?
                Are they looking for T-Will types... guys who are not real polished route runners but pose real threats on drag routes (or the newly popular bubble screens)...?

To answer your question... yes, you can find all sorts... well into the mid/late rounds.

Marvin Mims: Seam buster... drag routes, punt return. I hesitate to use a 2nd round... but would be happy if he were there in the 3rd round (may fall in a deep class). Speed but very limited as a route runner. Potential play-action nightmare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh7HLgacGLw

Tank Dell: Route runner and drag route monster. Super productive but has a small frame. Plays faster than timed speed. Varies his pace nicely... which gives him sneaky speed. Punt returner. I have a 3rd round grade on him... his smallish frame may make him a possible 4th round faller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRE6mNePki0

Charlie Jones: One of the faster, route running WR's. He's described as a zone-buster. Has good hands. The knock on Jones (as with Dell) is that he may have trouble @LOS releasing into routes. But, like Dell, Moore could simply create LOS separation by putting these guys in motion. Both players are quick move/cut... so guarding them off-motion would make the defender's job very difficult. I've got a late 3rd grade on him... possible 4th round faller. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Yee254XQQ

Xavier Hutchinson: He's a smart, productive, versatile receiver. There are questions about his speed and ability to separate... whether he translates to the pro level. I've had my eye on him for a couple years. I like him as a poor-man's version of Keenan. 4th round grade based on translation to NFL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qeHM_BrOSI

Ronnie Bell: Good route runner with questions about his speed. But I like his football IQ. Another real versatile receiver. 4th/5th...? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcP2bHVqBus

Johnathan Mingo, Trey Palmer, Rakim Jarrett, Jalen Moreno-Cropper, Bryce Ford-Wheaton... along with late-round sleepers Demario Douglas, Derius Davis, Tre Tucker, and Michael Jefferson.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  I like the case he makes for Addison.

"I'm leaning Addison because of the options he would add to Moore's 3 + 4 WR set concepts in the redzone - as a backfield option - as the Chargers currently stink at flanker screens - and Addison is really brilliant at reverses and flanker concepts. Quick twitch with YAC.​"
                  The thing that put me over the top on Addison was his production at Pittsburgh in 2021 and his production at USC in 2022 after the transfer. Look at his tape and imagine what this kid could do inside the redzone or two-point options, working out of the slot or out of the backfield.

Pitt

USC

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

My strategy to draft WR in the 1st Round is not ignoring the depth at WR in 2023, but that the depth at EDGE is arguably just as deep and I think Telesco might be able to find a gem in Rounds 2-5. Taking that into account, I'm a big believer that this team lost in the second half against Jacksonville because of it's 28th ranked run blocking win-rate, and draft resources should be prioritized to rebuilding everything around Herbert on offense, defense comes second.

My 1st Round Groupings - WR Jordan Addison, EDGE Nolan Smith, + LB Drew Sanders

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Johnston plays like a grown ass man. He gets open, he outplays defender on the ball, strong hands and great instinct for high pointing it, and after the catch he breaks a lot of arm tackles and often makes the first defender miss for tasty YAC. Generally not to-the-house YAC, but he adds alot to his yard total after he catches it.

He’ll be a stud in the NFL, no doubt. He’s very much in the Mdub mold, perhaps with more upside. Runs in low 4.5’s, He is NOT the burner this forum has talked about all off season but he is a grown ass professional wide receiver for the NFL to play strong against bigger CBs.

Slayer, Dub and him on the field at once is a great threesome but it’s not stretching the field as much if that is P1 and Moore didn’t run a lot of 11 packages in Dallas - not sure if it was personnel, his analysis of Dak, McCarthy’s influence (who wanted even more rushing). He is the immediate heir apparent to either Slayer or Dubb as a legit WR1/WR2 imo. He is quality insurance for if one of them get hurt in 2023 and replaces one of their high dollar cap hits in 2024. But my take is he’s more about 2024 and beyond than 2023, and again he’s not that burner we don’t have so a late round flier might still be needed for a speedster/returner.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        Johnston plays like a grown ass man. He gets open, he outplays defender on the ball, strong hands and great instinct for high pointing it, and after the catch he breaks a lot of arm tackles and often makes the first defender miss for tasty YAC. Generally not to-the-house YAC, but he adds alot to his yard total after he catches it.

He’ll be a stud in the NFL, no doubt. He’s very much in the Mdub mold, perhaps with more upside. Runs in low 4.5’s, He is NOT the burner this forum has talked about all off season but he is a grown ass professional wide receiver for the NFL to play strong against bigger CBs.

Slayer, Dub and him on the field at once is a great threesome but it’s not stretching the field as much if that is P1 and Moore didn’t run a lot of 11 packages in Dallas - not sure if it was personnel, his analysis of Dak, McCarthy’s influence (who wanted even more rushing). He is the immediate heir apparent to either Slayer or Dubb as a legit WR1/WR2 imo. He is quality insurance for if one of them get hurt in 2023 and replaces one of their high dollar cap hits in 2024. But my take is he’s more about 2024 and beyond than 2023, and again he’s not that burner we don’t have so a late round flier might still be needed for a speedster/returner.
                        There always seems to be plenty of later round guys with speed . . . .

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

There always seems to be plenty of later round guys with speed . . . .
                          I would have no problem with Marvin Mims and his 4.38 speed at 54. Would also fill PR. Wont last until 3rd

Comment

Working...
                          X