• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Imagine the Chargers winning the AFC division with a defensive coach only to lose to a lessor talented AFC team. We fire the defensive coach Staley and promote the OC Moore as the new HC. Wait a minute I just heard an eerie Spanos echo laugh ringing in my ears.
    None of these theories hold water upon examination and its baffling you guys are dreaming about how you can fire a head coach that wins the AFCW.

Talk about can’t get no satisfaction … Mick, let em have it …

Mick Jagger Singing GIF by The Rolling Stones
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I saw a comment from him in the last week or so that his ultimate goal is to become a HC. Hard to imagine him turning down an opportunity, though I guess he could be picky. HC jobs only come open when the team is a disaster.
      Kinda surprised to hear you say that, Rich. I think that both of us would agree that the 2006 Chargers were far from a disaster when they changed head coaches. Your overall point is taken with Moore and I'm in complete agreement. I believe he'll take stock and interview, all dependent on the progress and success of the 2023 squad.

Where I may be alone is I believe that the Spanos may be faced with a choice in 2024: Keep Kellen Moore or keep Brandon Staley. And that choice is to be had less than six months away.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

None of these theories hold water upon examination and its baffling you guys are dreaming about how you can fire a head coach that wins the AFCW.

Talk about can’t get no satisfaction … Mick, let em have it …
        I am personally bullish on the 2023 Chargers, but I think the odds of the Chargers winning the division is remote, because of Patrick Mahomes. Depending how they finish this season, that is the caveat, The Chargers could be faced with losing Kellen Moore to another franchise and pulling the trigger to keep Kellen Moore by firing Staley. I believe 100% that Moore is going to blow the Spanos' Families' minds in the next five months. A conscious choice will be made by ownership to hitch their wagon to Moore's star.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Let's see 2023. See how the team that Staley built and leads fares. I believe we can knock KC and Mahomes out. Head to head and in total Ws.
          That's my opinion. The proof will be in the coming games.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Kinda surprised to hear you say that, Rich. I think that both of us would agree that the 2006 Chargers were far from a disaster when they changed head coaches. Your overall point is taken with Moore and I'm in complete agreement. I believe he'll take stock and interview, all dependent on the progress and success of the 2023 squad.

Where I may be alone is I believe that the Spanos may be faced with a choice in 2024: Keep Kellen Moore or keep Brandon Staley. And that choice is to be had less than six months away.
            2006 was a very odd situation, far from the normal HC job opening. Most are just bad teams making a change.

I would guess that if Moore is successful with the O, as I fully expect him to be, the team will do well, Staley will be extended and we lose him.

If the team struggles, Staley is gone and then it gets tricky. Did the O improve enough under Moore to warrant him being considered for the HC job? If the team fires Staley, does Telesco get the boot as well? If so, would a new GM be on board with promoting Moore? Is Moore going to be patient enough to stick around if the front office is cleaning house and wait for a GM to be hired and then hope he is hired? A lot of things riding on this season.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

2006 was a very odd situation, far from the normal HC job opening. Most are just bad teams making a change.

I would guess that if Moore is successful with the O, as I fully expect him to be, the team will do well, Staley will be extended and we lose him.

If the team struggles, Staley is gone and then it gets tricky. Did the O improve enough under Moore to warrant him being considered for the HC job? If the team fires Staley, does Telesco get the boot as well? If so, would a new GM be on board with promoting Moore? Is Moore going to be patient enough to stick around if the front office is cleaning house and wait for a GM to be hired and then hope he is hired? A lot of things riding on this season.
              Why do we have to get rid of anybody if we look really good all season long. I don't see it unless we whiff really badly in the playoffs again. Three Whiffs and your out. If we win a playoff game but lose a hotly contested playoff game later on I don't see it.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Why do we have to get rid of anybody if we look really good all season long. I don't see it unless we whiff really badly in the playoffs again. Three Whiffs and your out. If we win a playoff game but lose a hotly contested playoff game later on I don't see it.

Because Moore could not have picked a better job to come to set himself up for a HC gig next year. He did good things in Dallas with Dak and can do great things with Herbert. I see that happening and he will be one and done as our OC.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Because Moore could not have picked a better job to come to set himself up for a HC gig next year. He did good things in Dallas with Dak and can do great things with Herbert. I see that happening and he will be one and done as our OC.
                  And i hate that,.....only because it's yet another system Herbert and co have to learn. Would he nice to have our QB and receivers etc be in the same system every year and have some great chemistry in it.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And i hate that,.....only because it's yet another system Herbert and co have to learn. Would he nice to have our QB and receivers etc be in the same system every year and have some great chemistry in it.
                    Which brings up the argument to keep Moore over Staley if we go far this year.Dicey sitiation. Buuuut would be a nice change of pace to actually go far this season.

Comment

• The Intellectual Assassin
                      Serenity now!
                      • Sep 2021
                      • North Carolina
                      • Teacher
                      • Send PM

If Moore helps us get a SB, don't really care if he is one and done haha. Seriously though, I like what I saw against the Rams and am intrigued on what this team can look like this season. Justin needs someone he can depend on and hopefully Kellen is that man.

Comment

• YAC
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                        I could totally see it. Moore has a beautiful football mind. The offers could emerge next offseason.

But as a fan of both the Chargers and of Moore...I sure hope not.

I don't see Moore as a HC, but as a coordinator extraordinaire. Kellen isn't an alpha personality. Doesn't seem comfortable in front of a mic. Don't see HC as his best path.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

I could totally see it. Moore has a beautiful football mind. The offers could emerge next offseason.

But as a fan of both the Chargers and of Moore...I sure hope not.

I don't see Moore as a HC, but as a coordinator extraordinaire. Kellen isn't an alpha personality. Doesn't seem comfortable in front of a mic. Don't see HC as his best path.
                          Having an OC career is not a bad thing if you can also get top dollar in that position and learn how to be a Good head coach.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X