• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caslon
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2019
    • Send PM

I for one am glad there are three preseason games, not four. Wise move by the NFL and owners.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Dallas Cowboys led the league in 13 personnel. Dallas Cowboys – 9%​

Cowboys were 4th in the league in 22 personnel. Dallas Cowboys – 7%

Cowboys ran 11 personnel 61% of the time and second was 12 personnel at 14%.

My takeaway is Kellen Moore's new team is going to pass far more frequently than his old team, and far more frequented in 11 personnel than the Cowboys too. Stats bear it out. ​
      They had Dak as QB. We have The Herbatron. That makes perfect sense
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They had Dak as QB. We have The Herbatron. That makes perfect sense
        Some of last year’s red zone passing plays… they were’t that well designed or weren’t practiced enough (fade-outs aside). Looking for better from Moore this season.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Some of last year’s red zone passing plays… they were’t that well designed or weren’t practiced enough. Looking for better from Moore this season.
          Agree. Often they looked like regular plays - Lombo did not have the designs nor the feel for red zone.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
            Let's do this!
            • Aug 2022
            • Raleigh N. Carolina
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Some of last year’s red zone passing plays… they were’t that well designed or weren’t practiced enough (fade-outs aside). Looking for better from Moore this season.
            If I ever see another corner fade again, it will be too soon. I don't care how tall our receivers are.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

If I ever see another corner fade again, it will be too soon. I don't care how tall our receivers are.
              Better turn off the tv, every team in the league throws the corner fade.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Kellen Moore’s Simplified Confusion: Formations, Motion, and Numbers

Motion for Success

One way Moore can be creative is through the use of pre-snap motion. Dallas used pre-snap motion on 31% of their offensive plays in 2018 per Sports Info Solutions. That figure ranked 24th in the NFL and below the NFL average of 36.6%. But despite not using pre-snap motion all that much relative to the league, the Cowboys had a lot of success when using it.

A play the Cowboys routinely called the last few seasons was their Jet Sweep Screen. Prescott would signal to motion either the slot or outside receiver from the play side across the formation prior to the snap. In this example it’s Cole Beasley motioning from the outside. The cornerback follows Beasley across the field, signaling Detroit is playing man coverage.

Quad Attack

​Boise State would often use overloaded formations—lining up with three receivers to one side of the field and motioning their back to the strong side to create a Quads formation.

There is even more in the link that Moore is going to bring to the new look Charger offensive attack, but I wanted to point out the play that is coming to the Charger playbook is the Jet Sweep Screen, but with Ekeler handling the ball in place of Ezekiel Elliott. If there is a signature knockout play in Kellen's offense, I'd venture to say this is the one.

Thanks Ghost! I was trying to explain these concepts over on the Derius Davis thread a couple days ago.
                Trips to one side... Eke in the backfield to the strong side. There are so many ways to expose defenses by overloading one side of the defense. The Chiefs do it all the time.

Out of this formation...
                Bubble screen to the 3rd WR on the trips side.
                Jet sweeps to the weak side.
                Jet sweep motion to the weak side... with a RB screen to the strong side.
                Kellen Moore will find ways to get numbers advantages.
                These formations, with motion will take defensive players out of the box and make your run game more effective, also.

With the players we already had (KA, MW, Eke, Everett) coupled with the new players (QJ and DD) this offense will be dynamic and hard to predict.
                These concepts will give Herbert easier pre-snap reads, too. I guess the philosophy is to just out-score everybody.

Comment

• Caslon
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Send PM

While I’m at it, some wideout screens picked up decent yardage last season while other times they half assed stunk. I admire other team’s coaches who take that play seriously. Hear that wideout stars? I want Moore to instill such an attitude, “you’re more than just receivers!” Hell, other teams get 8-10 yards on such plays. I want that. I’m not naming names or nothing, but such players are well paid and it shouldn’t be beneath them to execute such plays. When executed properly (bubble screens too) they are a thing of beauty.
                  Last edited by Caslon; 05-06-2023, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thanks Ghost! I was trying to explain these concepts over on the Derius Davis thread a couple days ago.
                    Trips to one side... Eke in the backfield to the strong side. There are so many ways to expose defenses by overloading one side of the defense. The Chiefs do it all the time.

Out of this formation...
                    These formations, with motion will take defensive players out of the box and make your run game more effective, also.

With the players we already had (KA, MW, Eke, Everett) coupled with the new players (QJ and DD) this offense will be dynamic and hard to predict.
                    These concepts will give Herbert easier pre-snap reads, too. I guess the philosophy is to just out-score everybody.
                    The KC example is No 1 Offense, adequate- decent avg D. They've done well.
                    We may as well take a shot at the top scoring offense with Herbert, Moore and our offensive talent- OL.
                    We have the personnel to be better than avg on D. Good enough anyway. Maybe surprisingly good,
                    But it will be Offense that gets us deep in the playoffs.
                    Or not.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Out of this formation...

I saw the post where you were delineating the 11 personnel (or quad WRs) and I had a superb article on that very subject I wanted to share, and I could not find it, so I posted the above article instead, because grasping these concepts and sharing the same nomenclature, is baffling for alot of folks.

cowboys_quads1_NE.webp

The 2021 Cowboys are using quads in a similar fashion. Moore dialed up quads on two key passing plays in Dallas’s Week 6 win against New England. The first time, the Patriots pushed their coverage to the four-receiver side, leaving plenty of exploitable space on the weak side of the formation. Instead of having the isolated receiver attack that space, though, Moore had him run a vertical route to clear out the defense, and Cedrick Wilson Jr. came over to fill that voided area.

(The above is the first 11 personnel set in regulation)

cowboys_quads2_ne.webp

(The above frame is overtime)

The Cowboys went back to this formation in overtime. The Pats adjusted by leaving a zone defender in the area Wilson had attacked on the first play. Note that this play freaked out Bill Belichick so bad, he added an extra defender to protect against the slant? Anyhow, Moore hit Ceedee Lamb for a walkoff TD at Gillette in OT. Belichick's defense made things worse for themselves by committing the other defender, well it cost them the game, because Moore lets you pick your own poison.

I think it's really important to note that Kellen Moore knows how to beat and has beaten, Bill Belichick.

As to the philosophy to just out-score everybody, Staley was quoted just a few weeks ago as saying that they wanted more explosive plays in 2023. Explosive was the term I believe he chose. Again, when you possess an offensive line with a run-block win rate of 70% (28th), you've little business being in the playoffs. Kellen Moore can turn that around rather quickly.

The article below on Kellen Moore is really good and worth a read.​

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/1...e-dak-prescott

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I saw the post where you were delineating the 11 personnel (or quad WRs) and I had a superb article on that very subject I wanted to share, and I could not find it, so I posted the above article instead, because grasping these concepts and sharing the same nomenclature, is baffling for alot of folks.

cowboys_quads1_NE.webp

The 2021 Cowboys are using quads in a similar fashion. Moore dialed up quads on two key passing plays in Dallas’s Week 6 win against New England. The first time, the Patriots pushed their coverage to the four-receiver side, leaving plenty of exploitable space on the weak side of the formation. Instead of having the isolated receiver attack that space, though, Moore had him run a vertical route to clear out the defense, and Cedrick Wilson Jr. came over to fill that voided area.

(The above is the first 11 personnel set in regulation)

cowboys_quads2_ne.webp

(The above frame is overtime)

The Cowboys went back to this formation in overtime. The Pats adjusted by leaving a zone defender in the area Wilson had attacked on the first play. Note that this play freaked out Bill Belichick so bad, he added an extra defender to protect against the slant? Anyhow, Moore hit Ceedee Lamb for a walkoff TD at Gillette in OT. Belichick's defense made things worse for themselves by committing the other defender, well it cost them the game, because Moore lets you pick your own poison.

I think it's really important to note that Kellen Moore knows how to beat and has beaten, Bill Belichick.

As to the philosophy to just out-score everybody, Staley was quoted just a few weeks ago as saying that they wanted more explosive plays in 2023. Explosive was the term I believe he chose. Again, when you possess an offensive line with a run-block win rate of 70% (28th), you've little business being in the playoffs. Kellen Moore can turn that around rather quickly.

The article below on Kellen Moore is really good and worth a read.​

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/1...e-dak-prescott
                        Thanks! Yep, I saw that article after we hired Kellen Moore.
                        I can't wait to see what this offense looks like.

IMO, our WR group is more talented than Dallas' group. I bet KM was happy to make the move.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Thanks! Yep, I saw that article after we hired Kellen Moore.
                          I can't wait to see what this offense looks like.

IMO, our WR group is more talented than Dallas' group. I bet KM was happy to make the move.
                          I bet he was also happy with a clear path to a HC'g gig . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X