• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I guess we can quibble over degrees. I would hope that my coaching staff is collectively smart enough to at least mitigate the worst of the problems without resorting to 'wholesale' changes. I saw no significant difference in the offence for the entire 2nd half of the season. Did the coaching staff try to fix the issues? I'm sure they did - they probably tried very hard since their jobs depend on their performance. But the bottom line is that - for whatever reason - they did not / could not fix it (well enough), and it ended up costing Lombardi his job, and IMO (along with the failure to fix the defense) should have cost Staley his as well.

Belichick did not have a premier QB running his offense, or a back on Eckler's level. I would say that would make a significant difference in his ability to fix his problems. In addition He's earned the benefit of the doubt, Staley has not. Since you want to use other coaches to make a point - how did the 49r's manage to make the playoffs (and win 2 playoff games) utilizing a 3rd string QB? Do you think Shanahan made changes - even wholesale changes - to accommodate / maximize Purdy's ability level? Obviously personnel are a critical component of performance, as is health, but I see other coaches managing to make some version of lemonade out of lemons, and I want ours to be able to do the same, not just try . . . .
    Yes injuries were a big deal. Shanahan missed the playoffs in the past when he had as many injuries as we did. They were 6-10 the year after making the SB because of injuries. So they were definitely talented. But they lost a lot of key guys like Nick Bosa.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Kelley is no Michael Turner. I’m looking forward to a healthy Oline with a couple personnel adjustments too. Not sure what we have in Spiller (and Horvath) as I’ve hardly seen them play. However neither were anywhere close to the college RB Bijan was. Just saying’, teams win with top talent for a reason. Fix everything!
      We'll be better running the ball without Bijan. Who knows how good with? Elite? Moore's run blocking, play development is light years ahead of Lombardi.
      Bijan is the whole package at RB. Size, speed, strength, agility, vision. He's usually 2-3 moves ahead of the D. Makes it look easy.Best RB I've seen in years.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
        Since Balboa Stadium
        • Sep 2022
        • LA
        • Send PM

I don't believe hiring a guy based on his previous teams "rank" is a valid criteria for a hire. I mean it means something, but look at Staley's rank before he came to us. It has a lot to do with the teams players. Coaches with good players all of a sudden are "geniuses"..

its all just politics...The Cowboys needed a fall guy for their failure vs the niners...huh...the OC..

Oh yeah...we needed one too....the OC...and Moore coming from America's team...well...the peasants will be pacified...us.

Yadah Yadah Yadah..

How about a guy who vastly improved a not so great team? Standford hiring Harbaugh from USD because of what he did there? That stands out.

Or how about Bruce Bochy hired by SF from the perpetual third place Padres? The giants were thinking....if this guy can do that with those resources, what can he do with us?

I would think a guy with way more varied experience than Moore(think DaBoll) would be better. Better to know how to make adjustments etc.

I hope he works out I really do.

But to me...just another young unproven and probably cheap guy.

The Chargers...Always quick on the draw. Staley doesn't want anybody that knows more than him which is not a lot.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
          I don't believe hiring a guy based on his previous teams "rank" is a valid criteria for a hire. I mean it means something, but look at Staley's rank before he came to us. It has a lot to do with the teams players. Coaches with good players all of a sudden are "geniuses"..

its all just politics...The Cowboys needed a fall guy for their failure vs the niners...huh...the OC..

Oh yeah...we needed one too....the OC...and Moore coming from America's team...well...the peasants will be pacified...us.

Yadah Yadah Yadah..

How about a guy who vastly improved a not so great team? Standford hiring Harbaugh from USD because of what he did there? That stands out.

Or how about Bruce Bochy hired by SF from the perpetual third place Padres? The giants were thinking....if this guy can do that with those resources, what can he do with us?

I would think a guy with way more varied experience than Moore(think DaBoll) would be better. Better to know how to make adjustments etc.

I hope he works out I really do.

But to me...just another young unproven and probably cheap guy.

The Chargers...Always quick on the draw.
          Well Moore maybe a lot of things, Unproven is not one of them. Don't know if he's going to make us SB contenders, but the guy is obviously qualified.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
            Since Balboa Stadium
            • Sep 2022
            • LA
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well Moore maybe a lot of things, Unproven is not one of them. Don't know if he's going to make us SB contenders, but the guy is obviously qualified.
            We will only know if he was "qualified" After we see what he does with this organization. Not before.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Yes injuries were a big deal. Shanahan missed the playoffs in the past when he had as many injuries as we did. They were 6-10 the year after making the SB because of injuries. So they were definitely talented. But they lost a lot of key guys like Nick Bosa.
              Jimmy G got IR'd that year (game 6 I believe). Hard to win without a legit QB. But yes injuries especially to key players makes a big difference.
              That's why I'm giving Staley a pass this year. His realization of the defense did not come to pass, largely because of injury. Difficult to judge the
              guy.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

We will only know if he was "qualified" After we see what he does with this organization. Not before.
                He's qualified because of what he did in Dallas. I assume you don't have a crystal ball, neither do I.

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Very anxious to see who the qb is and any other coaching changes on offense.

P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                    Since Balboa Stadium
                    • Sep 2022
                    • LA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Very anxious to see who the qb is and any other coaching changes on offense.
                    Yeah I was gonna add...Moore was not much of a QB "whisperer" with Dak Prescott...who cost the Cowboys the game probably with his dumb interceptions throwing to nobody.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

BS. Moore is a qualified veteran OC. That isn't open to argument
                      How successful he will be as Chargers OC remains to be seen.

Have you watched this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Oi...ature=youtu.be
                      Blocking & play schemes several cuts above what we'd been doing. Lots of options. Proves he's more imaginative than we were.
                      We' ll be different.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Yeah I was gonna add...Moore was not much of a QB "whisperer" with Dak Prescott...who cost the Cowboys the game probably with his dumb interceptions throwing to nobody.
                        Has Dak ever been spoken of in the same breath as actual elite QBs? No, he has not!

There are things that Dak does well, but he is not a complete QB who's earned the label of 'elite'. You can't legitimately discredit Kellen Moore for that.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

I hope you're wrong because getting Herbert a qb expert was number 1 on my list of priorities, hoping KM is him.
                          I don't know how much I can hold those ints against KM.
                          I just want a qb coach that is preoared to take over OC next season if all goes well and KM is a HC somewhere.

Still hoping Joe Brady makes it here somehow.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

Working...
                          X