P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Everybody on our RB staff was routinely hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. Until the OC evaluates the players we do have on our team before throwing a first rounder at an RB. Last year was the year to throw a second rounder at Breece Hall.
      Not sure how, Hall went at the very top of the 2nd round.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I’m sure they did try to adjust. But as I mentioned in another post, you’re not going to be able to force wholesale change during the season. It’s why major changes happen during the offseason. Look at what happened with Belichick and the Patriots OC position this past season, which I would argue was worse than ours. Did the “greatest” HC in the NFL forget to REQUIRE/FORCE scheme change? Or was he simply not smart enough to figure out how to fix the issue?
        I guess we can quibble over degrees. I would hope that my coaching staff is collectively smart enough to at least mitigate the worst of the problems without resorting to 'wholesale' changes. I saw no significant difference in the offence for the entire 2nd half of the season. Did the coaching staff try to fix the issues? I'm sure they did - they probably tried very hard since their jobs depend on their performance. But the bottom line is that - for whatever reason - they did not / could not fix it (well enough), and it ended up costing Lombardi his job, and IMO (along with the failure to fix the defense) should have cost Staley his as well.

Belichick did not have a premier QB running his offense, or a back on Eckler's level. I would say that would make a significant difference in his ability to fix his problems. In addition He's earned the benefit of the doubt, Staley has not. Since you want to use other coaches to make a point - how did the 49r's manage to make the playoffs (and win 2 playoff games) utilizing a 3rd string QB? Do you think Shanahan made changes - even wholesale changes - to accommodate / maximize Purdy's ability level? Obviously personnel are a critical component of performance, as is health, but I see other coaches managing to make some version of lemonade out of lemons, and I want ours to be able to do the same, not just try . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Not sure how, Hall went at the very top of the 2nd round.
          I would have traded to the top of the second round and used this years first for Breece Hall. Yeah, we would have given up our 1st rounder for this year but I do think he's worth it. He got injured last season but we would have him back for this season. Is there anybody as good this years draft? I haven't checked on this years draft picks at RB. If there's a top tier receiver at 21 I would also consider that. please...no more guards at 21 unless it's a bluechip center.
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Our OL was built for LT and he had LoNeal as a lead blocker. We had other running backs with good stats back then.

Id like to see what kind of run blocking improvement the OL can produce with Slater back, Salyer replacing Feiler, and Johnson going into his sophomore season.

What about Spiller? He was certainly able to run in college. He suddenly forget how to?

Bullshit on a first round RB. If that is the only reason Chargers don’t have a good run game then should we just package Ekeler, Kelley, and Spiller for picks because you obviously think it’s their fault.
            Not at first he didn't. Our OL was awful his rookie year and we got Neal in LTs 3rd season.
            With everyone healthy there shouldn't be any reason the run game shouldn't be good with the OL we have.

Agree Spiller hasn't had a real opportunity yet but I will say Bijan is a dynamic type RB. Riminds me a little of Barkley.

I'd like to have him but understand if we don't draft him in round 1.
            And if not, I sure like what I've seen from his RB teammate as well.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Kellen Moore...meh hiring. But anyone would have been a meh hiring, because we still have Mr Analytics running the show. The Chargers didn't need (only) a new OC; they need a change of CULTURE. Moore is just a different color lipstick on the still very ugly pig.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                Kellen Moore...meh hiring. But anyone would have been a meh hiring, because we still have Mr Analytics running the show. The Chargers didn't need (only) a new OC; they need a change of CULTURE. Moore is just a different color lipstick on the still very ugly pig.
                Moore had been pretty good but if you want a culture change, Dean needs to sell the team! Which, I'm firmly behind that decision lol.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I would have traded to the top of the second round and used this years first for Breece Hall. Yeah, we would have given up our 1st rounder for this year but I do think he's worth it. He got injured last season but we would have him back for this season. Is there anybody as good this years draft? I haven't checked on this years draft picks at RB. If there's a top tier receiver at 21 I would also consider that. please...no more guards at 21 unless it's a bluechip center.
                  Bijan Robinson is a home run hitting running back.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I like the fact that Moore is bringing a play-action identity to the Chargers offense, I like the fact that Kellen has a good eye for running backs and can troubleshoot rushing issues. I appreciate his offensive lines being a priority for the Cowboys, he values his lineman. All of these are excellent things that can help me try to gloss over the abysmal ownership. I can't polish that turd.

Comment

• KrazyLegs
                      Registered Dude
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Westminster, MA
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

All in on B. ROBINSON at 21.
                      frankly, he looks like a top 10 prospect to me but I'll never entertain trading up in the first for a nonQB.
                      Unless it's a reach for a LB with no feel for the game. LOL

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

From the Cowboys board:
                        Risen Star Risen Star

Likes Collector

Messages 78,652 Reaction score 175,512
                        What if Moore wanted to leave because of all the mean things you guys said about him?

Now look what you've done.​

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

The culture change begins with Staley going back to his 2021 self and play to win.

Comment

Working...
                          X