• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
    coupla few other things that am curious 'bout.... am under the assumption that Staley got a 4 year contract ??

am also wondering if Joe Brady turned down the Chargers interview request, or was there another position he preferred ??

will venture a guess w/things in that like McCoy and Lynn, think the likelihood is that we are stuck/enjoy the services of Staley for the duration of his contract, and that we make the playoffs next season, and even win a game, and have a pretty darn good record, albeit not sure how we might fare come the 2024 season ??

and if it's true that Harbaugh is interested in the job, could see his tenure @QB here being no small matter in his consideration, and if he continues to have his way w/Ohio State, think that monkey will be off his back, and even if doesn't win or compete much for the National Championship, think Michigan will be appreciative of what he's done and that he will be able to write his ticket out of there, if he so chooses.

and last, for the if and when it's true that Dean puts the Chargers out for tender, do think it looks a lot better to have a Harbaugh @your helm than a young and uneven Brandon Staley ?? and also, and unlike young John, can't imagine that Dean really wants to stick around much if any longer, as would surmise that retirement and life away from the NFL has an attraction for him.
    he better not retire in san diego:ml:
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

FYI, McVay makes $14M/yr. K. Shanahan makes $9.4M/yr. S. Payton rumor is $17-18M/yr.
      Is this that what they were paid initially in 2017? Or were those later contracts?

My point is that wealthy owners don’t necessarily have the leg up when it comes to hiring HCs. I doubt Kroenke paid McVay, an unproven first timer, as much in 2017 as he is now. If Staley proves to be as good as McVay or Shanahan, the Spanos will pay him his worth in a second contract and have no problem doing that.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Is this that what they were paid initially in 2017? Or were those later contracts?

My point is that wealthy owners don’t necessarily have the leg up when it comes to hiring HCs. I doubt Kroenke paid McVay, an unproven first timer, as much in 2017 as he is now. If Staley proves to be as good as McVay or Shanahan, the Spanos will pay him his worth in a second contract and have no problem doing that.
        Well I don't know what they initially paid McVay. But wealthy owners do have a leg up on hiring HCs, if they want to spend. Take the Broncos for example.
        By comparison the Chargers are cash poor. But anyways I was just curious and did a rudimentary look up.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

OK I looked it up. McVay's initial contract paid him about $2M/yr. But of course that was redone do to his success.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
            OK I looked it up. McVay's initial contract paid him about $2M/yr. But of course that was redone do to his success.
            So the Spanos actually paid Lynn more? Going by the $4million a year I keep hearing even though I don’t know if that’s correct.

But yeah, this proves my point.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Eff coaching contract talk. Kellen Moore IS the Chargers OC. I want to know about Kellen's involvement with player decisions. FA, cuts, adds, draft choices? Moore's offense will take the field in August - Sept.
              He needs to be involved. There are decisions to be made re: QB depth, RB, FB, WR, TE, OL starters & depth.
              The time to start is NOW Kellen.

Some possible FA adds:https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...n-cooper-rush/

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well, not to belabor, but there was one fella who said his theory was undeniable
                You said you'd apologize for being wrong, go look at my original post.
                "the bolded is undeniable" is what I wrote, and what is bolded is the idea that Moore may be a more qualified HC than Staley.
                I think this is true when comparing their resumes upon being hired by LAC, Staley 1 year as DC vs Moore's 4 years of OC.
                you can argue the substance all you'd like, but I ask you to stop saying false, disingenuous things about me.
                Never said my theory was undeniable. Never suggested that in the slightest.
                Do you acknowledge this or not?
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

So the Spanos actually paid Lynn more? Going by the $4million a year I keep hearing even though I don’t know if that’s correct.

But yeah, this proves my point.
                  No idea what they paid Lynn. Your point makes perfectly good sense. I wasn't trying to disprove. I was just curious since you brought it up.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                    Quick article on Moore and Herbert: https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfs...6e110f741.html
                    So turns out, this was a "Herbert hire" after all.
                    jk
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

The Chargers can be the best offense in the NFL. https://www.chargers.com/news/daniel...ve-coordinator
                      per Jeremiah.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So turns out, this was a "Herbert hire" after all.
                        jk
                        They know and like each other. The choice was obvious when Moore became available for multiple reasons.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                          The Chargers can be the best offense in the NFL. https://www.chargers.com/news/daniel...ve-coordinator
                          per Jeremiah.
                          LOL! Right. Not with the team they're going to field in '23.

Comment

Working...
                          X